PDA

View Full Version : iMac kernel panics

Squicken
Sep 14, 2011, 10:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I purchased a 21.5 inch 2.5ghz iMac earlier in the summer, upgraded to lion and 12 gigs of RAM, everything was working perfectly. Lion had its glitches but it was ok. Updated to 1.7.1 or 1.7.2 recently, whichever one is out right now, and since then have gotten 3 kernel panics. Two just random ones while doing light computing, the third during a bootup that failed. Also, while trying to get my small server software on it running, it started getting glitchy. So i attempted a restart; it turned off, bonged, and then stayed at a gray screen for 3 minuted before i turned it off. Turned it back on, everything was fine. Should i be worried or is this an issue with lion?

zarathu
Sep 14, 2011, 10:53 PM
Kernal Panics generally represent something is wrong in the hardware: bad memory, bad graphics card, some USB gadget connected, badly seated airport card even a bad USB or firewire cable.

Detache every piece of stuff that didn't come from apple, or even the stuff that did. Add them one at a time until you find the culprit.

You didn't rename or change any access permissions for OSX's essential system files or folders, right?

YOu might also try starting up in safe mode: hold the shift key down from the time you hear the chime to when you see the words SAFE book on the screen.

You mayalso want to run your hardware check.

A gray screen indicates that it might not have the latest firmware, but seems unliely for you. It sounds like your server software drivers are not up the LION specs. So contact those companies.

You might try starting with another drive or your start-up disk that you made. Run Disk utility, click first aid and then repair disk.

Worse comes to worse, you can re install Lion.