Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
France
What you guys think about what apple is putting in their systems?
G5s card sux, come on a 1 year old card in a 3000 USD machine, go and look what comes in a 1600USD alienware stock, or even the PB has a better Radeon, better chip.
Just my opinnion

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
dollystereo said:
What you guys think about what apple is putting in their systems?
G5s card sux, come on a 1 year old card in a 3000 USD machine, go and look what comes in a 1600USD alienware stock, or even the PB has a better Radeon, better chip.
Just my opinnion

agreed. i don't know why they do it, same goes for ram. Apple is behind the times on those 2 fronts. everything else is pretty decent.

1. Ram should be 1-2 gig on a $3000 machine
2. Video card should be a latest gen card in a $3000 machine.

not having 1 + not having 2 = pathetic.

note, this is my reason for not buying a G5 right now. that and dual core around the corner. i might have been tempted if they actually provided a decent card for $3000. Not to mention their displays suck in price compared to dell, which from my understanding actually has a better lcd. :-/

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
attachment.php

Haven't I seen this thread in the wasteland before?
attachment.php

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
DXoverDY said:
Not to mention their displays suck in price compared to dell, which from my understanding actually has a better lcd. :-/

No, not better. at least, not over all. Their prices are much better, though. So i'd say that for the money, dell takes it in displays. but quality regardless of $$, apple takes it. but, honestly, when do you not consider the cash?

Sun Baked- yeah, most likely.

bjewett

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Champaign, IL
GeForce 6800 Ultra --OR-- Radeon X800XT Mac Edition ??

I'm looking at the new G5s and asking the same thing about video cards. I could:

1) get one of the cheaper alternatives, and wait for new mac-compatible cards to show;

2) get the GeForce 6800 Ultra, which sounds decent but is a year old, somewhat expensive and takes part of the next slot, or -

3) Get a RADEON X800XT Mac Edition, which sounds like it outruns the 6800 Ultra in some tests, but isn't listed or BTO I gather for the Mac.

My applications include much video editing and processing, including FCP, Motion and of course hours with Compressor, and, well, X-Plane ...

Any suggestions?

Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.