PDA

View Full Version : Page 2: Apple Experiencing Constrained Stocks of iPhone 4 Bumper

MacRumors
Sep 15, 2011, 04:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/15/page-2-apple-experiencing-constrained-stocks-of-iphone-4-bumper/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/iphone_4_bumper_blue.jpg

9to5Mac reports (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/15/apple-may-be-set-to-discontinue-iphone-4-bumper-case/) that it has received word from reliable source Mr. X that Apple is experiencing constrained stocks of the iPhone 4 bumper, suggesting that a discontinuation of the bumper could signal a redesigned iPhone 5 or some other change that would require a modified bumper. While a number of parts from a so-called "iPhone 4S" nearly identical to the iPhone 4 have surfaced, there has been little evidence beyond third-party case designs supporting the introduction of a new form factor for the next-generation iPhone.With Apple apparently set to discontinue the Bumper, the next iPhone may require an updated Bumper or may even feature an all new design. Of course, there is also the possibility that Apple has simply decided to discontinue the Bumper but still retain the iPhone 4 design.One other possibility is that Apple may be retaining the iPhone 4 bumper but updating its packaging to reflect compatibility with both the iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S/5 sharing the same form factor. Such a packaging change could result in briefly constrained supplies of the bumper as Apple transitions into the release of the new iPhone.

Article Link: Page 2: Apple Experiencing Constrained Stocks of iPhone 4 Bumper (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/15/page-2-apple-experiencing-constrained-stocks-of-iphone-4-bumper/)

*LTD*
Sep 15, 2011, 04:13 PM
Wasn't really necessary to begin with.

RafaelT
Sep 15, 2011, 04:15 PM
So basically it could mean 10 different things that tell us nothing. Glad I read that.

Icaras
Sep 15, 2011, 04:15 PM

It was if you wanted a signal ;)

Ok, sorry, didn't mean to open up that can of worms again. :cool:

RafaelT
Sep 15, 2011, 04:19 PM

I was going to make that comment as well... I decided to restrain myself because I knew what the outcome would be.

You didn't just open that can, you blew the lid off with about 10 pounds of C4.

*sits back and waits*

rayray5884
Sep 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
They were completely out of black when I was in there last weekend. Said they hadn't gotten any in a while.

mash
Sep 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

What a stupid, pointless post.

nagromme
Sep 15, 2011, 04:24 PM
Exactly the case design I imagined and wanted before it ever existed... so I was quite happy when Apple not only came out with it, but gave me one for free :)

In the end, though I want my phone as small as possible, so I rarely use the case. And of course I’ve had no reception problems from the antennagate myth. (But almost 100% of smartphone/iPhone users I know do use some case anyway, making that myth all the more absurd. Still, many thanks to all the non-iPhone 4-owners who blogged about the “problem” they were so concerned I might be having ;) )

Deadman64
Sep 15, 2011, 04:29 PM

You're right, no matter what people say. If you hold the phone naked you will lose signal strength. Whether that loss effects you or not depends on the area you are in.

I will never understand how an antenna/rf engineer would allow this out the door.

But hey its a nice phone and sure does look great.

----------

Exactly the case design I imagined and wanted before it ever existed... so I was quite happy when Apple not only came out with it, but gave me one for free :)

In the end, though I want my phone as small as possible, so I rarely use the case. And of course I’ve had no reception problems from the antennagate myth. (But almost 100% of smartphone/iPhone users I know do use some case anyway, making that myth all the more absurd. Still, many thanks to all the non-iPhone 4-owners who blogged about the “problem” they were so concerned I might be having ;) )

dial *3001#12345#*

and hold the antennagate spot. You're telling me you see absolutely no drop in the signal now displayed as a number instead of bars?

bigjnyc
Sep 15, 2011, 04:30 PM
There were like a million of these things on the wall when I went to the Apple store earlier this week.

NightFox
Sep 15, 2011, 04:32 PM
Or maybe they've just withdrawn them because they start falling apart after less than a year for many people?

Agent-P
Sep 15, 2011, 04:44 PM
I was just in my local Apple store on Tuesday and they had tons of these things on the shelf.

ct2k7
Sep 15, 2011, 04:48 PM
I was just in my local Apple store on Tuesday and they had tons of these things on the shelf.

Then they are cutting down on the shipments.

Truffy
Sep 15, 2011, 04:52 PM
Still, many thanks to all the non-iPhone 4-owners who blogged about the “problem” they were so concerned I might be having ;) )
It's only because they care! :p

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
Question:

Does the bumper include any kind of cut out for the silence switch? If so, then it seems to me the bumper would have to be modified to reposition the silence for the iPhone 4S, despite the fact it has the same dimensions as the iPhone 4.

Of course, I'd vastly rather believe that the iPhone 5 is coming soon and will be a complete redesign. I seriously can't see Apple being able to claim new record sales if they release an iPhone 4S instead of an iPhone 5... all the pent up demand is for a completely new phone, otherwise people would simply be buying the iPhone 4.

kas23
Sep 15, 2011, 05:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Probably won't need it anymore if Apple plans on engineering the phone's antenna correctly.

MartiNZ
Sep 15, 2011, 05:29 PM
Was I the only one that read this as something about an iPhone bumper sticker?

I'm surprised they're still bothering with the things actually. The free deal is long gone, and people pay for them? :eek:

AnthonyHarris
Sep 15, 2011, 05:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Real world use doesn't have much affect on signal without the bumper, but I grabbed my iPhone 4 tightly in my left hand and lost my signal completely, not just a few bars, so it's an issue if you hold your phone like a thumbless left handed pigmy. lol.

Agent-P
Sep 15, 2011, 05:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Probably won't need it anymore if Apple plans on engineering the phone's antenna correctly.

I didn't use the bumper because of the reception thing. I used a bumper because it added some grip to the iPhone 4 without being a bulky case. Personally I hope they make something like the bumper for the iPhone 5.

vitzr
Sep 15, 2011, 05:49 PM

The only time I had to use my bumper, was whenever I wanted to make a phone call.

Otherwise you're right ... unnecessary.

icewing
Sep 15, 2011, 06:21 PM
I didn't use the bumper because of the reception thing. I used a bumper because it added some grip to the iPhone 4 without being a bulky case. Personally I hope they make something like the bumper for the iPhone 5.

This. I will NOT be getting the iPhone 5/4s/whatever, guess I'll need to go buy another bumper before they stop selling them. Kids in college means dad can't afford all the latest toys... :(

ct2k7
Sep 15, 2011, 06:32 PM
The bumper added marks to my steel band.

MisterK
Sep 15, 2011, 06:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whether or not the bumper was originally intended as a purely cosmetic addition or Apple meant it to address a known shortcoming in the iPhone 4's anntenna design, it will be seen always as an admittance of a design failure and if they've addressed the flaw in the new iPhone (by adding another break in the antenna where my palm won't cover it, for instance) they should drop the bumpers and act as though they were never there.

The iPhone 5 or 4S may look nearly identical to the 4, but Apple has fixed the antenna even if they did nothing else

takezo808
Sep 15, 2011, 06:45 PM
I was going to make that comment as well... I decided to restrain myself because I knew what the outcome would be.

You didn't just open that can, you blew the lid off with about 10 pounds of C4.

*sits back and waits*

I have tried to recreate that antenna issue many times. It just can't recreate it. I even tried it at an ATT store. no drop in signal.

The FUD was spread my anti-apple fan sites to hopefully slow apple's sales. Rather than try to prove the ignorant masses wrong. They could just ship out little rubber bumpers to "pacify" these masses. It also led to increased sales of sillicone cases for the iphone 4.

The bumper is being discontinued because the FUD has worn out it's effect. Besides, people tend to purchase 3rd party cases anyways.

RafaelT
Sep 15, 2011, 07:01 PM
I have tried to recreate that antenna issue many times. It just can't recreate it. I even tried it at an ATT store. no drop in signal.

The FUD was spread my anti-apple fan sites to hopefully slow apple's sales. Rather than try to prove the ignorant masses wrong. They could just ship out little rubber bumpers to "pacify" these masses. It also led to increased sales of sillicone cases for the iphone 4.

The bumper is being discontinued because the FUD has worn out it's effect. Besides, people tend to purchase 3rd party cases anyways.

I would agree with you except for the fact that you are wrong. I am as pro Apple as they get, but I have the issue.

If I bridge the gap I can watch my data transfer stop and if I am on a call it will drop. It will happen every single time, guaranteed. Anyone who doubts this is welcome to come to central Florida and I will be happy to meet up with you and show you. With that being said I am not in a 4-5 bar signal area. With more signal my guess is that it becomes a non issue. You can place anything non conductive over that area and it no longer becomes an issue.

No with all that being said I use my phone with no bumper or case every day and highly recommend the iPhone 4 to everyone who will listen. I just avoid touching that once spot.

ct2k7
Sep 15, 2011, 07:21 PM
I am as pro Apple as they get

Met *LTD* yet?

Bluefusion
Sep 15, 2011, 07:58 PM
The iPhone 4S supposedly has its ringer switch moved to the other side of the phone: if so, then the new Bumper would have to be redesigned for that.

And the iPhone 4 DOES have signal problems. It's not made up, and it's not a fringe issue. I'm the biggest Apple fan you can imagine, and used to work for them, and no matter where I am--whether in NYC (with a full signal), rural Vermont (where Verizon doesn't even get service but AT&T gets 4 bars) or urban Massachusetts (where I have 3 bars and a rocky connection), I can make it happen.

My white bumper is starting to fall apart though, which sucks.

john.banken
Sep 15, 2011, 08:31 PM
Does anyone even use Bumpers anymore?

WestonHarvey1
Sep 15, 2011, 08:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't use a bumper. Touching the antenna gap lowers the signal but not enough to cause any problems, unless there is very little signal. Typically when the signal is that low my 3GS has no signal at all in the same spot. So the 4 antenna is actually superior.

I've yet to see a phone that can't have it's antenna interfered with by holding it one way or another.

This was the dumbest non issue in the history of non issues, and the iPhone 4 sales prove that. As well as the fact that the only people who ever talk about it anymore are on this forum.

arn
Sep 15, 2011, 09:17 PM
The FUD was spread my anti-apple fan sites to hopefully slow apple's sales.

I'm pretty pro apple, and I have the issue.

I don't use a case, but when I'm in my house, I have to be very aware of how I am holding the iPhone 4 to get a usable signal.

arn

kas23
Sep 15, 2011, 09:31 PM

It's amazing how - even with the mere existence of the bumper (is this really how Apple rolls?), its subsequent hand-out for free, the signal drop reproduced by a 3rd-part but historically pro-Apple consumer group (and by a NYT editor fanboy too), and the impending antenna re-design - people still deny there is a design flaw in the current iPhone 4 leading to signal drop. I guess it must be human nature, just like how people think vaccines cause autism and the WTC attack was orchestrated by the US government.

DESNOS
Sep 15, 2011, 09:49 PM

It's amazing how - even with the mere existence of the bumper (is this really how Apple rolls?), its subsequent hand-out for free, the signal drop reproduced by a 3rd-part but historically pro-Apple consumer group (and by a NYT editor fanboy too), and the impending antenna re-design - people still deny there is a design flaw in the current iPhone 4 leading to signal drop. I guess it must be human nature, just like how people think vaccines cause autism and the WTC attack was orchestrated by the US government.

Mundane is boring. People would rather believe in interesting things, like an almighty being capable of destroying you at will! Far more interesting than the obvious. ;)

Rocketman
Sep 15, 2011, 10:13 PM
Whle it is a little funny anybody reading this has read an article about phone bumpers with 4-5 permutations of possibilities.

I hate to do this, but Apple already changed the bumper once to address an engineering issue. It is widely recognized the photo/volume button may be obverse on this model or have other external changes.

I would not put it past Apple to make a bumper compatible with the new iPhone 4 like case device.

I also would not put it past them to EOL iPhone 4 accessories in favor of iPhone 4S (cellular voice supported) or 5 (iPod Touch Internet Everywhere).

Remember this, and I put it in a bumper thread to assure nobody would read it, but the near future is data only devices except voice by VoIP.

Rocketman

MartiNZ
Sep 15, 2011, 10:23 PM
The bumper added marks to my steel band.

Yep bumper made quite a mess of the thing, especially around buttons and holes. After a while I kept it on just because it looked worse with it off ... and then the bumper broke so I just put up with it. The 4 really was a very questionable design; I hope all the mockups of 5s going back to the gorgeous curvy design of the touch and 2g/3g/3gs phones are accurate.

----------

I don't use a case, but when I'm in my house, I have to be very aware of how I am holding the iPhone 4 to get a usable signal.

arn

Gosh I didn't realise people were still arguing the existence of the issue at this point. It is a definite downside to not having a case - there is no doubt it's there, and so easy to invoke given ... yet again ... how natural it is holding the device so. I often have mine drop out while playing games - at least it doesn't seem to bring up the dialog complaining about such these days.

And I'm reasonably pro apple (Lion notwithstanding), so indeed, that is not some magical defence....

Edit: Holy wow smart forum software joining posts :eek:!

rorschach
Sep 15, 2011, 11:06 PM
dial *3001#12345#*

and hold the antennagate spot. You're telling me you see absolutely no drop in the signal now displayed as a number instead of bars?

I did that a while ago and holding the phone both normally and with a "claw" grip (which nobody uses to hold their phone anyway) and I did not experience signal loss.

I tried it while on a call and nothing happened either.

I've never had a single problem with reception on my iPhone 4.

I got the bumper when I bought the phone but I only used it for a very short time. Other than that I've never had it in a case and never experience a dropped call or had a bad signal from the way I've held it.

Some people have had problems but many, including me, have not.

mattwolfmatt
Sep 16, 2011, 09:32 AM
My bumper is starting to deteriorate. I just ordered a replacement from amazon...hopefully it will hold me over until whenever the iPhone 5 is released.

thelonelylimo
Sep 17, 2011, 12:14 AM
I've purchased 3 bumpers since the iPhone 4 release. I like the bumper just as much as I do the iPad Smart Cover, if not more.

snebes
Sep 17, 2011, 10:23 AM

arn

Don't lie arn. We know you are a diehard Dell fan.

ct2k7
Sep 17, 2011, 10:57 AM
Don't lie arn. We know you are a diehard Dell fan.

I thought he was a Samsung fan?

MacinDoc
Sep 17, 2011, 12:10 PM
This just reflects a redesign of the bumper for minor design changes for the phone we have been calling the iPhone 4S. What I'm really curious about is whether there really are two distinct lines to be announced in the coming weeks. The rumored iPhone 5 teardrop design would probably not have a bumper case.

----------

The iPhone 4S supposedly has its ringer switch moved to the other side of the phone: if so, then the new Bumper would have to be redesigned for that.

And the iPhone 4 DOES have signal problems. It's not made up, and it's not a fringe issue. I'm the biggest Apple fan you can imagine, and used to work for them, and no matter where I am--whether in NYC (with a full signal), rural Vermont (where Verizon doesn't even get service but AT&T gets 4 bars) or urban Massachusetts (where I have 3 bars and a rocky connection), I can make it happen.

My white bumper is starting to fall apart though, which sucks.
As you said. As to the signal issue, I can certainly produce a reduction of signal by holding my phone "the wrong way". OTOH, I can also get signals on that phone in places where my family's other phones (believe it or not, we have 5 wireless phones on my account) have none. It's both the advantage and the disadvantage of putting the antenna on the outside of the case.

fabianjj
Sep 18, 2011, 08:57 AM

So it's just FUD that my phone lost two bars of signal strength from just holding one spot? I just took the case off of it and tried it, YES it is/was a real issue. I would be glad if i could use this thing woithout a case without losing my signal.

Although I have this issue, I have tried it on a few other people's iPhone 4's that are newer, and they don't seem to have the same issue.

If this was only FUD to begin with, do you seriously belive that Apple would have given millions of these bumpers away?