Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
So a little while ago I screwed up something on my Lion install which required me to log in as "root" to fix. I followed the steps to enable root, put in a password, and logged in. Made the necessary changes, and fixed the problem.

Right afterwards, I went back in and disabled the root account.

Now I want to change the UID of my main user account in order to facilitate network-based file sharing. I read the cleanest way to do this was to log in as root and execute the necessary terminal commands from there. I again followed the steps to re-enable the root account, rebooted, and tried to log in using root credentials.

However, it would not accept the password. I tried to reset it in the Directory Manager but it didn't seem to take. So I booted into the recovery partition and opened the terminal, where I typed in "resetpassword" which launched the password reset password utility. I selected the disk with Lion, and chose the System Administrator (root) account, and tried to type in a new password. I press "Save" and get the following message:

"The password you entered has not been saved for the user System Administrator (root). You may not have permission to edit this disk or a general failure has occured."

Changing the password for other "regular administrator" accounts works fine, but I can't seem to change the password for root.

Anybody know what the issue is, and how can I resolve it? I would really like to be able to log in as root to change the UID of my main account.

Ruahrc

P.S. Just realized this, but isn't the recovery partition a HUGE, GAPING SECURITY FLAW in OSX Lion? I mean all anyone has to do is physically steal your computer, boot into the recovery partition (which exists on EVERYBODY'S LION), reset the password, and off they go? Made even worse by Apple's "internet recovery", since even if you disable or erase the recovery partition, all a thief needs to do is hook it up to the internet and download it straight away from Apple? Literally, I just was able to change the password to my primary user account without having to know or put in any kind of password whatsoever...

Last edited:

nelz886

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
New Jersey
Boot into single user mode (cmd + S at boot)
at the prompt type
Code:
mount -uw /
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist
passwd root

See if this pw reset works.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
No, it comes up with the following error:

passwd: Could not verify credentials because directory server does not support the requested authentication method. Could not verify credentials because directory server does not support the requested authentication method

(yes, it reads off the same message twice)

This is the same message I got when I tried to change the password via the terminal

Ruahrc

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
OS X is designed to use sudo, not log in as the root user. If you wish to enable the root account, follow Apple's directions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528

P.S. Just realized this, but isn't the recovery partition a HUGE, GAPING SECURITY FLAW in OSX Lion? I mean all anyone has to do is physically steal your computer, boot into the recovery partition (which exists on EVERYBODY'S LION), reset the password, and off they go? Made even worse by Apple's "internet recovery", since even if you disable or erase the recovery partition, all a thief needs to do is hook it up to the internet and download it straight away from Apple? Literally, I just was able to change the password to my primary user account without having to know or put in any kind of password whatsoever...

There is no security when someone has physical access to your machine. Mac, Linux, or Windows. All you can do is encrypt your data and keep your password/encryption key safe.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Those directions are what I followed first. They didn't work.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011

Set a firmware password. That's what it's for.

fiddy

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
This worked for me after not being to reenable my root user...

Can't Login as root after...

Seems like after disabling root this has to be done to allow access to root user again. Maybe a bug, or maybe a security implementation, but it is kinda annoying.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.