PDA

View Full Version : Using Macbook Pro Installation CDs on older iMac?

mcbg1
Sep 16, 2011, 06:42 AM
I need to re-format my late-2009 iMac but I've been looking around the house and I can't seem to find my installation CDs. I was wondering if it would be possible to use my Lion installation CDs that came the Macbook Pro I bought last week? If not, what are my other options? Buying a new copy of Leopard or Lion?

Thanks!

miles01110
Sep 16, 2011, 06:43 AM
No. Restore discs can only be used with the model they ship with. Also, you did not receive Lion installation CDs last year- you probably mean Snow Leopard. You need to buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard or buy Lion via download or USB stick.

mcbg1
Sep 16, 2011, 07:04 AM
No. Restore discs can only be used with the model they ship with. Also, you did not receive Lion installation CDs last year- you probably mean Snow Leopard. You need to buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard or buy Lion via download or USB stick.

Oops, I meant using the installation CDs that came with the Macbook Pro I bought last week, not last year. I guess it doesn't change anything though. I'll keep looking for my CDs, otherwise I guess I'll pay the 30$ to download Lion.

Sc00tr
Sep 16, 2011, 10:04 PM
Oops, I meant using the installation CDs that came with the Macbook Pro I bought last week, not last year. I guess it doesn't change anything though. I'll keep looking for my CDs, otherwise I guess I'll pay the 30$ to download Lion.

If you are running Lion, just use the recovery mode. It will redownload the installation over the internet. It is a big download and will take some time.