Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oprie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
Hi

So I've just picked up this old iBook G4 for next to nothing. I popped in a new 512MB RAM stick and a 20GB HDD to see if I could get it up and running.

My friend gave me his old Leopard install DVD, so I booted it up and formatted the drive to Apples spec. I then began the installation.

The machine began to check the disk integrity, which was taking quite a while. I went to check on it and it had frozen at 21% (the mouse wouldn't move), so I turned the machine off.

Following some information on the internet I booted into Single User mode (CMD-S) and ran 'fsck -f'. Upon rebooting my machine now displays the Apple logo, spinning wheel and then goes to a blue screen where it hangs. I have read here that it could be an issue with a chip overheating. I find this hard to believe in my case because I can leave the machine running in single user terminal without any freezes. (I have been running fsck a few times to test this).

Any ideas?

EDIT: Just did a verbose boot - the only error message that jumped out was ''no interface name for airport.." which came up twice. Does this help?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.