PDA

View Full Version : new iMac or iMac 20-inch 2.66GHz 2GB/320GB

doriangrey7
Sep 16, 2011, 06:31 PM
I'm about to make the plunge into the world of Macs (totally excited) but I'm struggling with deciding whether to shell out $1,600 for a new 21.5 iMac (all costs in) or if I should save about $700 and buy a used 2009 iMac 20-inch, 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB/320GB. Is it really worth spending that much extra $ to buy a brand new one? Any thoughts and/or advice would be much appreciated :)

killerrobot
Sep 16, 2011, 06:35 PM
Buy the new one or at least a newer model that has/ will have significant amount of warranty left.

andy.barron
Sep 16, 2011, 06:36 PM
The new one without a doubt

doriangrey7
Sep 16, 2011, 07:01 PM
Buy the new one or at least a newer model that has/ will have significant amount of warranty left.

I wasn't thinking so much about warranty considerations because I guess I thought Macs lasted longer than PC's... I guess I was thinking about it more from a performance perspective...but I appreciate what you're saying about warranty - that is definitely something I need to consider as well... I guess with a used machine I can't get applecare either with the phone support and the nice stuff that goes with that...

killerrobot
Sep 16, 2011, 07:12 PM
I wasn't thinking so much about warranty considerations because I guess I thought Macs lasted longer than PC's... I guess I was thinking about it more from a performance perspective...but I appreciate what you're saying about warranty - that is definitely something I need to consider as well... I guess with a used machine I can't get applecare either with the phone support and the nice stuff that goes with that...

Performance wise - a new one hands down. As far as buying used, if you're buying it refurbished from Apple the warranty will be just like a new one. However if you're buying used from an individual, you just never know what they've done to it or why they're really selling it, so without any warranty left you could be up the creek without a paddle.

Unless a seller has it under Apple Care or it's under a year old so that you can buy Apple Care I wouldn't bother.*

*I've personally never bought Apple Care for my iMacs, but 2/3 that I've owned I've had to repair after a year. I did the repair myself and parts cost less than Apple Care but a computer is a computer, Mac or PC, and definitely not infallible.

andy.barron
Sep 16, 2011, 07:19 PM
agree with killerrobot, the new one will leave you with no doubt after you unpack.