Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naveah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta
I currently run Windows 7 on my MacBook using Boot Camp. However, with the latest versions of Parallels and VMWare Fusion, I am considering simply running Windows as a virtual OS in the Mac OS X Lion environment. Does anyone utilities or methods that would let me transfer (port) my existing Windows Boot Camp installation to a new Parallels or VMWare installation, without having to reinstall all programs and reconfiguring all Windows settings?

I have my Windows installation just the way I like it--and I do not want to reinstall all my software or reconfigure Windows. I'll appreciate any assistance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Both parallels and VMware can use your bootcamp windows without needing to create a separate vm instance

naveah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta
That's wonderful. Thanks for your assistance. So, then, I can use Windows through Parallels/VMWare and also as a stand-alone OS through Boot Camp without risking corrupting any files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.