Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelS99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Hartlepool, England, U.K.
Just downloaded Windows 8 (64bit) for my Mac but not sure what to do now ! And how about boot-camp ? Will I lose any of my data ? Apple says to backup do I have on CrashPlan. What do I do ? :confused: Thanks in advance :D

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I don't want to sound mean or anything, but the Windows 8 Developer Preview is just that.. a developer preview. If you don't at least know how to install a .ISO, you probably shouldn't be playing around with it at all, to avoid messing up your own data.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm using it on a Dell. It's very stable, I could probably use it as my main OS. The problem is that the UI needs some... work. The jumping between metro UI and the old desktop UI is jaring, as many others have described it, and I'm not used to getting around in metro (hopefully there's some UI tweeks by the time it hits beta). But boot speeds are fantastic.

flipthenegative

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Well Done MichaelS99

Well done MichaelS99 - great to see someone doing the right thing & trying new technology. I don't have any suggestions yet on how to get the Bootcamp drivers to install on your Mac mini, however over the next couple of days I'm going to install Windows 8 on my i5 Mac mini under Bootcamp (the only difference being that I've got the AMD graphics). I suspect that it may be possible to edit an INI file to fool the Apple drivers into thinking they're installing onto Windows 7. I'll let you know how I go.

DockMac

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
You have two options.

1) Use Bootcamp
2) Use a Virtual Machine like Parallels, VMware, and VirtualBox

I used Bootcamp, as it would not install on the VM that I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.