PDA

View Full Version : just sold my PM G5 DC

VanneDC
Sep 17, 2011, 02:57 AM
well its time i gotta start packing.. got 3 weeks left in Christchurch and then moving back to Oz for about 8 weeks before moving onto the UAE.

Was thinking about shipping the PM DC back to Oz, but to be honest, cant really be fracked. I will however take my vid card back (that i still need to bloody flash to mac) and then try and find another DC G5 in the UAE. Ill finally be going back to my 2008 MP, and have some upgrades to do to that once it arrives in the UAE.

Anyways, the guy that bought it got a pretty good deal, $500NZ its in smicko nick and i up-ed the ram by 2 gig (total of 3.5) and replaced the boot drive with a new 250gb 12mb cache WD.

makes me kinda sad, as it has served me well for 5 months, and has never skipped a beat.

anyways, end of an era here. :D

Ill probably sell my dual PM 2.7ghz (that i still have in Oz boxed) as well... need to free up some funds to pay for a A320 endorsement...

So then i guess i wont have any PPC macs anymore.... until i can find a good deal on another DC G5 :) (sounds like going cold turkey.. lol)
just wanted to let you know that i do really enjoy this architecture, and i miss it already...

Marcush1286
Sep 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
Hi, Ebay has lots of Dual Core G5's currently.. If you are looking for 2.3, there are plenty of them + the G5 Quads.. If you want to go the Quad route make sure you get the one with either Panasonic LCS(The service guide only shows two types of LCS for this model) or dual pump. I used to own a dual pump based Quad before but got rid of it simply because the dual pump by cooligy were less reliable compared to the single pump.

I have yet to see the Panasonic LCS on the Late 2005-2006 Quad G5. This G5 I got from Mike's Tech Shop in NY which is an Apple certified Service center told me that the single pump is in fact the one pictured on the left(if you have the two types of LCS side by side) while the one by Delphi and Cooligy is the one on the right.

Like you, I too like the PowerPC architecture; It feels like a real mac instead of a PC box.

well its time i gotta start packing.. got 3 weeks left in Christchurch and then moving back to Oz for about 8 weeks before moving onto the UAE.

Was thinking about shipping the PM DC back to Oz, but to be honest, cant really be fracked. I will however take my vid card back (that i still need to bloody flash to mac) and then try and find another DC G5 in the UAE. Ill finally be going back to my 2008 MP, and have some upgrades to do to that once it arrives in the UAE.

Anyways, the guy that bought it got a pretty good deal, $500NZ its in smicko nick and i up-ed the ram by 2 gig (total of 3.5) and replaced the boot drive with a new 250gb 12mb cache WD.

makes me kinda sad, as it has served me well for 5 months, and has never skipped a beat.

anyways, end of an era here. :D

Ill probably sell my dual PM 2.7ghz (that i still have in Oz boxed) as well... need to free up some funds to pay for a A320 endorsement...

So then i guess i wont have any PPC macs anymore.... until i can find a good deal on another DC G5 :) (sounds like going cold turkey.. lol)
just wanted to let you know that i do really enjoy this architecture, and i miss it already...

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 17, 2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah in Oz there's a lot of dual G5's going for around $200 or less on eBay... more for the quicker ones but there ARE some good deals at the moment.

California
Sep 18, 2011, 02:53 AM
JFYI there is no such thing as a "Dual Core" 2.5ghz Powermac G5. They were "Dual Processor" 2.5's.

Dual Processor 2.7ghz

The "Dual Core" PMG5s only came out in late 2005. Shipped with Tiger in the 2.0 and 2.3 ghz DC, and of course the 2.5ghz Quad Core.

The 2.5ghz Dual Processor was a good machine for it's day.

2.7ghz a friend of mine still using for editing.

Marcush1286
Sep 18, 2011, 05:57 PM
But sad to say the dual 2.5 had its fair share of 85 percent liquid cooling leaks, the 2.7's wasn't so bad but still the LCS should be inspected periodically to make sure no leaks are present.

JFYI there is no such thing as a "Dual Core" 2.5ghz Powermac G5. They were "Dual Processor" 2.5's.

Dual Processor 2.7ghz

The "Dual Core" PMG5s only came out in late 2005. Shipped with Tiger in the 2.0 and 2.3 ghz DC, and of course the 2.5ghz Quad Core.

The 2.5ghz Dual Processor was a good machine for it's day.

2.7ghz a friend of mine still using for editing.