PDA

View Full Version : New Hard Drive - SMART Status Fail

oprie
Sep 17, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hi

I've been restoring an old PowerBook and the final hurdle was to put a new HDD in. I bought a second hand one from my local PC store but it's showing as a 'Fatal Error' in Disk Utility. I called the store and they said that they run tests on all HDD's before sending them out. Is there any chance that me fitting it incorrectly has caused this? or is there any way to run diagnostics?

EDIT: OK, so I ran a boot disk of TechTool and did a SMART check. It passed on everything other than the 'Reallocated Sectors Count' in which it discovered 5 and so gave it a fail. I then inserted my Leopard disk and chose the HDD to install, it's got to around 45% with 38 minutes left. I'm not sure if this is going to fail, or whether it'll be a bad idea, but I can take the HDD back if not anyway.

Thanks

Tyroler
Oct 15, 2011, 12:18 AM
Hi

I've been restoring an old PowerBook and the final hurdle was to put a new HDD in. I bought a second hand one from my local PC store but it's showing as a 'Fatal Error' in Disk Utility. I called the store and they said that they run tests on all HDD's before sending them out. Is there any chance that me fitting it incorrectly has caused this? or is there any way to run diagnostics?

EDIT: OK, so I ran a boot disk of TechTool and did a SMART check. It passed on everything other than the 'Reallocated Sectors Count' in which it discovered 5 and so gave it a fail. I then inserted my Leopard disk and chose the HDD to install, it's got to around 45% with 38 minutes left. I'm not sure if this is going to fail, or whether it'll be a bad idea, but I can take the HDD back if not anyway.

Thanks
Have a look how cheap a new HD

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/help-me-find-my-mac.php?hfshow=pb