PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable price.

sparkleytone
Oct 3, 2002, 01:07 PM
I've been looking at this for a week or so now, and I just have to post it. This is absolutely the most insanely great deal I have seen on notebook memory in a long time. For those with iBooks and/or 100MHz FSB Powerbooks, this may end up being a deal you can't pass up. Note that it is a lowprofile DIMM so it will definitely fit in the iBook. I love Macsales.com I bought my RAM from there a yr ago and in a month or so I will be getting a Firewire CDRW from them.

King Cobra
Oct 3, 2002, 05:07 PM
http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=9&subcatid=902

18004memory.com has a price listing of under $80.00.

sparkleytone
Oct 3, 2002, 06:05 PM
nice...those prices are just ridiculous. i remember paying $150 and being insanely happy about the deal i got. it was shortly after this that it went up to almost $250

King Cobra
Oct 3, 2002, 06:25 PM
I remember when iBook/PowerBook memory (max. RAM chip size) was over $1000. That was truly outrageous. Right now, at $80, we look at that and think it's a ********* steal. But, in two years, or so, we'll be looking back and saying that $80 was ridiculous, since memory will probably continue to decrease in price.

Take a look at plasma screens. I remembered when the Sharp LC-20B2U
http://www.profeelvideo.com/graphics/lc20b2u.jpg
used to sell for $2500 or so not even a year ago. Now, it's going for about $1000 less, depending where you look for one.

sparkleytone
Oct 3, 2002, 07:23 PM
nah memory will continue to be expensive. the only reason that notebook ram has dropped like it has is due to the move in the pcworld to DDR notebook RAM. basically just an echo from the desktop world.

as new technologies emerge, the old ones will fall in price until they are two or three generations old. then the prices jump again.

King Cobra
Oct 3, 2002, 08:45 PM
Well, if DDR-RAM has become more common, this could mean DDR-RAM for PowerBooks. I agree, it's going to drop the price of SDRAM. But the price of current 128MB, 256MB, and 512MB will probably continue to drop.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on this, but these chip sizes will always stay 128MB, 256MB, and 512MB respectively, while faster and bugger chips will be developed. PCs already have the option for 1GB chips, if I am not mistaken. Eventually, when a 2GB chip comes out (let's assume PC2100/PC2700 memory here), the SDRAM prices should fall further, since not only is the difference in chip size/type going to matter, but so will how many people buy the older chips. My guesses here.

cb911
Oct 3, 2002, 10:28 PM
Finally!! now i can have 1GB RAM in my TiBook!!:D :D

scem0
Oct 3, 2002, 10:46 PM
RAM has gotten incredibly cheap. I am tempted to buy some now, but I won't be using my current computer for more then a year, so there is no point in spending the money, when I can't put the RAM in my next machine.

rugby
Oct 4, 2002, 06:52 AM
I am looking for ram for my soon to be here dual 867 and I can get 1gb of ram for $260 (2-512mb chips). Unbelievable. And that's the expensive new DDR-ram (PC2700 if I want).

I can max out my G4/400 with 1.5gb of ram for $150 if I look around hard. Freaking unreal.