Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Wondering what is the group consensus for choosing an HDTV to view photographs.

I clearly understand that some sort of an ips LCD monitor would be far better for viewing photographs than an HDTV.

My question is this. As we are getting an HDTV are there some that are better at rendering photos? Sharp makes a claim for better photo rendering with their quattron technology. One review I found said it was very nice but not hugely better than others. Samsung gets good marks for all sorts of other features but their images don't seem that great. Maybe the Sony Bravia series? Thanks.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My 42"

Wondering what is the group consensus for choosing an HDTV to view photographs.

I clearly understand that some sort of an ips LCD monitor would be far better for viewing photographs than an HDTV.

My question is this. As we are getting an HDTV are there some that are better at rendering photos? Sharp makes a claim for better photo rendering with their quattron technology. One review I found said it was very nice but not hugely better than others. Samsung gets good marks for all sorts of other features but their images don't seem that great. Maybe the Sony Bravia series? Thanks.

Regza (Toshiba) renders them beautifully via my ATV. Im sure most modern 1080dpi TV's would do a good job. Some (including mine) now come with ethernet ports and I even have a wifi adaptor for it...Don't used it though.

Best bet is probably to go to a store and look at them....Even take a USB stick in with some photos on it to test.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I went to Best Buy to try to compare these. It is a little difficult because they mostly run a lot of fast moving video so you can't easily compare one monitor to the next.

Nevertheless, in my subjective comparison I agree with will waters, the Sony Bravia looked nicest. The contrast was not overblown, the saturation was not overdone and the colors looked more appropriate for the material being viewed. As you might expect from this impression, they are also among the more expense sets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.