Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
When i turn it on the fans spin at high speed but nothing else happens. Attempted to reset PRAM, SMC etc. Nothing changed.

I had to drop it off at the apple store this morning. They said either the MB, display or SSD could be dead. I bought it on release day.

I searched through the forums and have not heard anyone report this type of issue.

Did anyone run into this kind of issue?.
I have had several macbooks over the years and never ran into this type of issue. I was actively using the air when it completely froze. It was not even anything CPU intensive, just typing a document.

It does worry me a little since this happend right in the middle of my business travel week. I bought this thing for portability.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
So if you're getting it fixed.... why is there a need to post a topic on it?

Not being a wet noodle or anything, but wouldn't it be more helpful to get it back and then tell us why it was broken? So in the future if somebody searches and finds this topic, they'd know more about it?

It could be a number of things though; me telling you x, y, z, t, w, or f isn't going to help. It'd just be me saying "maybe this" and you saying "hmm, that seems possible, anybody else?"

And then the topic would continue for no reason whatsoever. And then you'd get it back, we'd all know, and then we would have effectively wasted our time.

mountains

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
Sometimes you just get faulty hardware. It even happens with self-built PCs; not much you can do about it.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
So if you're getting it fixed.... why is there a need to post a topic on it?

Not being a wet noodle or anything, but wouldn't it be more helpful to get it back and then tell us why it was broken? So in the future if somebody searches and finds this topic, they'd know more about it?

It could be a number of things though; me telling you x, y, z, t, w, or f isn't going to help. It'd just be me saying "maybe this" and you saying "hmm, that seems possible, anybody else?"

And then the topic would continue for no reason whatsoever. And then you'd get it back, we'd all know, and then we would have effectively wasted our time.

I'm sorry, but you are being a wet noodle. If my mba suddenly stopped working, I'm sure that I would post some kind of rant.

Hopefully, the op's either fixed or new air works great.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
maybe your brightness is all the way down. happened to me before. for some reason the brightness set itself to 0. once i turned it up it was fine.

ravic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
maybe your brightness is all the way down. happened to me before. for some reason the brightness set itself to 0. once i turned it up it was fine.

Lol, I did not check that. Hopefully the Genius bar guy verified if that was the case.

I will certainly post what was fixed when i get it back. I am not really complaining. The scale at which these are produced it is just my luck that i got the faulty one :(
I guess it is my turn this time.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry to hear about your MBA. Fortunately for the rest of us it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. For what it's worth if it had been my MBA I would have also posted right away. Post back when you get an update from Apple, I think we are all intersted in knowing what went wrong.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Lol, I did not check that. Hopefully the Genius bar guy verified if that was the case.

I will certainly post what was fixed when i get it back. I am not really complaining. The scale at which these are produced it is just my luck that i got the faulty one :(
I guess it is my turn this time.

I had a similar issue with my 2010 MacBook Air. While it wasn't completely DOA, a lot of times it wouldn't wake up from sleep unless I did a hard reset. Apple replaced it on the spot and the new one was fine. In this day and age, rates of DOA PCs are pretty similar among manufacturers (since the same suppliers make them for almost every manufacturer).

Hopefully you'll get a fixed/replaced system soon and be able to enjoy your new purchase. :apple:

ravic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I got it back last week. They had to replace the system board.

I use it for development and use vmware fusion quite a bit in addition to all development tools.

Definitely a lot of CPU intensive tasks.

I have to see how the new system board holds up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.