Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
What is the best piece of software availble to download the songs from an iPod onto the harddrive? I did a complete erase/install for Tiger and have everything saved on the iPod.

I tried using iPod viewer but it is a horrible program. It doesn't allow for downloading of songs with the same title, and doesn't sort the files into any structure. Oh, and it also requires user intervention every time it hits a file with the same name (such as 01-intro.mp3). And let me add that it has asked whether I want to overwrite a song that I have 1 copy of on the iPod at least 10 times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Well, versiontracker.com has a few...

This may be annoying to hear, but if you were anticipating deleting your entire hard drive anyway, you should have just enabled disk use and saved the actual .mp3 files to your ipod.

Also, if you have a Windows computer (or maybe in Macs) if you have hidden drives enabled so you can see hidden folders in other folders, there will be all these folders with actual .mp3s in them (again, I think its only in Windows but I'm not sure)

http://www.versiontracker.com - this has a lot of stuff.

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
LOL, you know, I actually thought of copying the files over as data.... I saw all the utilities on versiontracker with great ratings and figured I'd have no problem... I'll never make that assumption again.

I see a bunch of programs on versiontracker to do this type of thing, but I don't know which one I want to try next. I already wasted a few hours with iPod Viewer, and I don't want to have to do this a third time....

If anyone has done this before and can recommend a program, please do

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
Well I went through a bunch of the stuff on versionrtracker and iPodWorks looks pretty polished. The demo version has some pretty harsh limits on it which make it unusable for what I want to do, so I went ahead and paid the $8 for it. It's transferring everything over into a folder, sorting by artist and album. Very polished interface.

This will probably take a while to transfer (20 gigs of music), but if it keeps working like it has, the $8 was well spent. First time I ever registered a shareware program too...

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
If you decide that you don't like the one you paid for...try Senuti. I keep a copy on both of my iPods and both my mac and the one I use at work. The only other program i've used is iPod2Mac, and that sucked in comparison to Senuti. Senuti works fine for me, and it's free.

...just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.