PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 clean install

Badrottie
Sep 18, 2011, 04:09 PM
I am about to sell PowerBook G4 to both eBay and Craigslist soon...is it possible to clean install Leopard 10.5.8 from Flash USB or only install straight from DVD?

Thank you

Marcush1286
Sep 18, 2011, 05:54 PM
Yes, you can boot a PowerPC mac using USB 2.0 and a flash USB. How you do it is as follows:

You will need to go into open firmware and type the following:

printenv

Look for anything that says: ud and then type: boot ud:,:\\tbxi That will allow you to boot the USB thumb drive with Leopard on it.

For more information, do a search for Booting PowerPC Macs via USB 2.0 - It works and I use it all the time and its not as slow as you may think either.

I am about to sell PowerBook G4 to both eBay and Craigslist soon...is it possible to clean install Leopard 10.5.8 from Flash USB or only install straight from DVD?

Thank you

gaz81
Sep 25, 2011, 06:07 AM
Also, make sure you format the thumb drive correctly. If it has been done with a master boot record it wont work!

stroked
Sep 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
Also, make sure you format the thumb drive correctly. If it has been done with a master boot record it wont work!

What is the correct format for the thumb drive?

The 1st Powerbooks (TiBook) didn't have USB 2. I think only the Aluminum Powerbooks did.

Marcush1286
Sep 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
The correct format should be: Apple Partition Mode as this is the only one that will allow you to boot a PowerPC mac.

What is the correct format for the thumb drive?

The 1st Powerbooks (TiBook) didn't have USB 2. I think only the Aluminum Powerbooks did.