Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Who here spends two hours per night sorting, downloading, buying and cataloging their music for their ipod? Come on Hugh?

XM Satellite Radio CEO Hugh Panero on the iPod vs XM Radio:

iPod... that demand-oriented, MP3-based technology is very attractive to people who want to search and sort and download and put [music] in their iPods. And for people who have the time to do that, I think that iPods are very attractive. However, we are offering a very different option of effortless listening to music, and I think as people get older, when they realize that they don't have an hour and a half or two hours every night to sort, download, buy, catalog, that they turn to XM Radio because it is effortless like cable television is or satellite television is.

I think Hugh needs to buy an iPod and use it a while. My iPod on shuffle beats XM anyday. I had to disconnect my XM radio to connect my ICELINK for my iPod in my 2004 Honda Accord. With my iPod on shuffle, if I don't feel like a certain song I hit next (from my steering wheel) and I'm almost positive I'll like the next song.

The question is, does anyone here spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours preparing music for their ipod?

Napster Vs iTunes? - Did the Math

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
That's fine if you spend time tracking down new music to listen to all the time... but for me, the songs I have get old after awhile. XM allows me to experience new music I probably would have never encountered without it. He's right, they serve two completely different purposes. I think it was a very astute comment that he made, and they certainly know what they're doing over there. Hugh's made a couple appearances over at XMFan.com, and is in fact an iPod user.

* Written by someone with two iPods and an XM receiver

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I have both XM and an iPod, each one serves a different purpose for me.

iPod-I listen to this when I want to here specific music, my iPod will allow me to pick some pre-determined music to listen to.

XM-When I just want to here random music. It is good to hear some new music and music from bands you have never heard of. There have been numerous new bands I have learned about and then went and bought the tracks on iTMS for my iPod. Plus I love listening to Opie and Anthony on XM SATELLITE RADIO.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Don't get me wrong... I used XM for 18 months and yeah, I heard a lot of music I would have never heard otherwise.

However, to claim that users are going to realize they need an hour and a half to two hours EVERY NIGHT. In my case, he's clearly exaggerating the time I spend on my ipod - by about 13 hours a week.

Are his figure based on research or is he feeding the investing community BS? His company is in the red after all and Apple's been in the black for well...

I'm just wondering, do his figures hold true for anybody here at MacRumors?

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
skwoytek said:
Don't get me wrong... I used XM for 18 months and yeah, I heard a lot of music I would have never heard otherwise.

However, to claim that users are going to realize they need an hour and a half to two hours EVERY NIGHT. In my case, he's clearly exaggerating the time I spend on my ipod - by about 13 hours a week.

Are his figure based on research or is he feeding the investing community BS? His company is in the red after all and Apple's been in the black for well...

I'm just wondering, do his figures hold true for anybody here at MacRumors?

I think he was just trying to make a point. I have 4 ipods (15gb 3rd gen, two 20gb 4th gen ipods, and an ipod shuffle) and am on my second XM receiver (first was an alpine with XMdirect adapter and XMdirect tuner, second is a delphi skyfi2 with rewind/pause capability, like a DVR for XM radio), and I personally love both my iPod and XM. :-D XM is great for news, and the tons of new music I have discovered on it. Sometimes its just great to hear random music you never heard before, and if you like a song you can rewind and listen to the beginning of that song with the skifi2. :D

I think they do target different markets all together, just as Cable TV doesn't compete with DVDs, XM doesn't compete with the iPod.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
If you read the whole interview, you'll see that the interviewer asked him to compare XM to the iPod, an inexact comparison at best. He did only in a "we think our product holds its own in the bigger, portable audio market" kind of way. To expect more from him is a little much. As for the "two hours" of sorting and downloading per night quote, there's nothing new about people pontificating about the iPod without having owned one, especially when they were provoked into giving an answer of some kind.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Wow, you guys think I'm bashing Hugh. One of the reasons I got the V6 Accord was because it had XM Radio. For now I'm choosing my iPod over XM - I can't control both through my steering wheel and that's important to me because I'm a responsible driver.

Now. I'm an iPod owner, an XM Radio listener and an investor. To think Hugh has never compared XM and iPod is naive. I'm asking a group of iPod users a question. My question, which nobody has answered, is - Does anybody spend two hours on their iPod music maintenance per night?

Has anybody spent $10,000 to fill his or her iPod? That's Napster logic. And it's about logic - logic and advertising and investing. The logic Hugh presents is: People will get older and realize they don't have two hours every night for their iPod maintenance, then turn to XM because it is effortless.

I think differently, if you listen to FM you'll eventually switch to XM. If you have a six disc changer or a cd player you'll soon have an iPod adaptor (or equivalent).

There have been numerous new bands I have learned about and then went and bought the tracks on iTMS for my iPod.

I agree XM and iPod go hand in hand. If I could have disconnected FM Radio... well, geez Kip, we all love technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.