PDA

View Full Version : G5 with Magic Trackpad

jne381
Sep 19, 2011, 04:49 PM
I recently bought a second hand Power Mac G5 to run some older software that will no longer run on Lion. It didn't come with a keyboard or mouse, so I bought a keyboard and a Magic Trackpad (I figured I could use them for other machines too, if needed).

In any case, I NOW see that the Magic Trackpad says it requires OSX 10.6.2 or later.

Does anyone know of a work around for this?

I don't need all the trackpad features that are on Lion, just the ones that were available on laptops running Leopard.

adcx64
Sep 19, 2011, 05:02 PM
AFAIK, there's no way around this, try using a magic mouse, it works great with Leopard.

zen.state
Sep 19, 2011, 05:50 PM
Your only options are to return it or use it on a newer machine with 10.6+. There is no "work around" for this that I have ever heard of.

I guess now you will know to read requirements on the box BEFORE you buy. :)

MacHamster68
Sep 19, 2011, 06:00 PM
there is only a alternative that supports even Mac OS classic and OSX , i guess they mean OS9 at wacom, its the wacom bamboo touch

but its not wireless and has more functions and free programable buttons

http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/wacom_bamboo_touch_2-540x405.jpg

like usual we PPC user rely on others

for pc's there comes a alternative from logitech , but if it will suport leopard i doubt that

AQUADock
Sep 20, 2011, 12:30 AM
you actually can use it but only for moving the cursor around and clicking and that's about it, no multi touch. If you want to pair it you have to select "any device" and an empty passkey in the setup assistant.

VanneDC
Sep 20, 2011, 06:15 PM
+1 for the Bamboo pen and touch :)

Marcush1286
Sep 22, 2011, 12:03 AM
Hello,

I too was wanting to get the Magic Trackpad for my Power Mac G5. I know gestures wouldn't work, but how about using the click right to bring up a menu? When I right click using the magic mouse, it brings up a menu of options.

you actually can use it but only for moving the cursor around and clicking and that's about it, no multi touch. If you want to pair it you have to select "any device" and an empty passkey in the setup assistant.