PDA

View Full Version : Lion Theme Brings OS X Look-and-Feel to Jailbroken iPhones

MacRumors
Sep 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/19/lion-theme-brings-os-x-look-and-feel-to-jailbroken-iphones/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/liontheme-150x275.jpg

The jailbreaking community has brought all sorts of interesting tweaks and hacks to iOS devices. Lion Ultimatum is functional theme for jailbroken iPhones that attempts to completely replicate the OS X user interface (http://lifehacker.com/5840190/make-your-jailbroken-iphone-run-like-os-x-with-the-lion-ultimatum-theme), not just with icons and a background, but with "fully usable Finder menus, stacks, launchpad, a scrollable dock, draggable windows, mission control, dashboard, and a customizable lock screen."

Lion Ultimatum is a free install for jailbroken iPhones. Lifehacker has installation instructions (http://lifehacker.com/5840190/make-your-jailbroken-iphone-run-like-os-x-with-the-lion-ultimatum-theme) for those interested in trying it out.

It is, however, more useful as a proof-of-concept than anything else, and shows why Apple redesigned the iOS user interface from the ground up to be touch-compatible, rather than simply shoehorning the OS X interface onto a smaller touchscreen.
IZFNi9SLFkU

Article Link: Lion Theme Brings OS X Look-and-Feel to Jailbroken iPhones (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/19/lion-theme-brings-os-x-look-and-feel-to-jailbroken-iphones/)

voyagerd
Sep 19, 2011, 06:55 PM
That looks pretty cool from the video.

thelonelylimo
Sep 19, 2011, 06:55 PM
I'm going to be jailbreaking soon.

Marvin1379
Sep 19, 2011, 06:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm curious. Has iOS 5 been jailbroken yet?

ZackaryVS
Sep 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
I would love to have this on an iPad... you'd have a full desktop resolution... that'd be pretty sweet. iMacbook

adcx64
Sep 19, 2011, 07:01 PM
I just installed it on my iPod touch. It's awesome!

abgraham
Sep 19, 2011, 07:05 PM
It's not free... Currently a $3.50 charge for donation to developer for beta access...

Antares
Sep 19, 2011, 07:06 PM
That's pretty damn cool. I'd buy a new iPod Touch and do this.

nagromme
Sep 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
Utterly absurd.

And yet too cool :)

Iíve always liked the Snow Leopard wallpaper on my iOS devices. Thatís as far as Iíve gone!

Adidas Addict
Sep 19, 2011, 07:14 PM
Respect to the guys that developed this, it looks amazing and very clever. But, there's always one, I can't imagine it being good to use on a phone day to day. For an iPad and iPod touch I can really see it being great though.

Goaliegeek
Sep 19, 2011, 07:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

What iOS should have been like!

WvB22
Sep 19, 2011, 07:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh boy this theme was skyrocketing already and now every major Mac site is paying attention to this theme. The guy is a student and I bet he can quickly pay his college with this. His books were already paid he said but now even his college fee might be covered. Well done!

tjanssen1990
Sep 19, 2011, 07:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have been using this theme for about a week and while it's really sweet, it does have a few bugs. The looks I get from people are totally worth it however.

IzzyJG99
Sep 19, 2011, 07:46 PM
That actually looks better than iOS to me.

Kentochan
Sep 19, 2011, 07:57 PM
That is one sick theme. I wish I had an iDevice that can do themes without lagging lol.

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 19, 2011, 08:04 PM
It looks like it took an impressive amount of work, but what for, really?

While Lion looks better on an iPhone than on a Mac, it still just doesn't seem very useful.

(I'm running Lion, btw... there are some things I like... there are some things I hate... Missions Control, Full Screen Apps, and Resume all seem to impair productivity and drain battery. Expose was better, and I miss it sorely.)

*LTD*
Sep 19, 2011, 08:08 PM
Just use iTeleport VNC on your iDevice.

ct2k7
Sep 19, 2011, 08:15 PM
Just use iTeleport VNC on your iDevice.

That's not the point.

akarmenia
Sep 19, 2011, 08:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

No Photoshop? OS X would be far more useful on an iPad.

pvmacguy
Sep 19, 2011, 08:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Please develope for the iPad immediately!

hugo7
Sep 19, 2011, 08:40 PM
It looks very awkward for a touch-based input device but it is a fantastic proof-of-concept.

It also demonstrates the amount of passion developers have for the iOS platform. I love it.

mazz0
Sep 19, 2011, 08:46 PM
(I'm running Lion, btw... there are some things I like... there are some things I hate... Missions Control, Full Screen Apps, and Resume all seem to impair productivity and drain battery. Expose was better, and I miss it sorely.)

How do they impair productivity or battery life? If you don't like them you don't have to use them so they can't possibly impair your productivity, and even if you do use them what are they doing that will impair battery life?

I agree about missing Expose though.

*LTD*
Sep 19, 2011, 08:50 PM
That's not the point.

It's a helluva lot better than the point of this hack.

This hack is in fact proof positive why stuff like this just doesn't work well on such a device.

It's interesting though, as far as novelties go.

DoogH
Sep 19, 2011, 08:55 PM
I'd go insane. Button touch areas are so small! I'd always misclick.

ThunderSkunk
Sep 19, 2011, 08:57 PM
Wow, looks very nice! Amazing amount of work, I can only imagine...

(+1 vote for an iPad version)

Mattsasa
Sep 19, 2011, 09:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Chronic dev team says they have a userland exploit for ios 5, that they ready to launch as soon as iphone 5 launches.

However, however any device iphone 4 and older, can be jailbroken on ios 5 via a bootrom exploit.

1080p
Sep 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What iOS should have been like!

If this is what Apple had shown instead of the Springboard iOS back in 2007, iPhone would have been a failure. iPhone is successful due to it's ease of use.

ct2k7
Sep 19, 2011, 09:09 PM

This hack is in fact proof positive why stuff like this just doesn't work well on such a device.

This looks more like a proof-of-concept that having a solid point. It might be someone's pet project.

Mattsasa
Sep 19, 2011, 09:12 PM
This looks more like a proof-of-concept that having a solid point. It might be someone's pet project.

this is exactly what this is,

This is not really practical for 99% of people, however there are people like me and the developers of this and many others who like to try new stuff and experiment, and find this amusing.

Snypod
Sep 19, 2011, 09:41 PM
I used OS X Ultimatum for a few days but ultimately went back to my Winterboard theme of choice. It was fun to play with so I'll continue to check out new updates, but even as missing functionality is added in, the interface will likely remain too small for regular use by most people. Also, because you need to enable multiple Cydia apps and a Winterboard theme to alter the status bar, the process of enabling or disabling the theme may take longer than expected, so keep that in mind if your hope is to jump between themes quickly. As others have said, this would be a more useable theme on the iPad due to the larger size. If nothing else, it's certainly an impressive proof of concept and worth getting if you're into that sort of thing.

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 19, 2011, 10:37 PM
How do they impair productivity or battery life? If you don't like them you don't have to use them so they can't possibly impair your productivity, and even if you do use them what are they doing that will impair battery life?

They impair productivity by replacing Expose. With Expose, I was able to think "Hey, the safari window I'm looking at right now isn't the one I want to be looking at," hit the appropriate expose button (or click and hold on the Safari icon, another feature removed from Lion) and then click the correct safari window.

With Mission Control, after thinking that, I hit the mission control button, then I have to look around to find where my safari windows gathered, and then they're all obscuring each other so it takes longer to find the correct one, and eventually I get the right one. I estimate I waste several seconds with Mission Control each time that I wouldn't waste if Expose was still around.

As for battery life, I'm not certain about this, but I'm fairly certain that opening Xcode or iWork documents on my original Mac Book Air is a relatively demanding task. With Resume, when I launch Xcode, all three of the projects I had open previously open at once, only for me to have to close two of them because I really only wanted the one. So I waste time at least (I'd say projects average on taking 15 seconds to open), if not battery life.

I do like the graphical style of several of the applications... although I just remembered, Front Row, for no apparent reason, is uninstalled when you upgrade to Lion. Probably one of my top ten most used applications on my iMac (which I have instead of a TV,) and they simply removed it. Now I have to use DVD Player, which isn't as Apple Remote friendly. Doesn't really hamper performance or anything, just an annoyance of Lion.

Ihatefall
Sep 19, 2011, 11:04 PM

Dude questions like this are easily answered with google in 3 secs.

yongren
Sep 19, 2011, 11:14 PM
They impair productivity by replacing Expose. With Expose, I was able to think "Hey, the safari window I'm looking at right now isn't the one I want to be looking at," hit the appropriate expose button (or click and hold on the Safari icon, another feature removed from Lion) and then click the correct safari window.

With Mission Control, after thinking that, I hit the mission control button, then I have to look around to find where my safari windows gathered, and then they're all obscuring each other so it takes longer to find the correct one, and eventually I get the right one. I estimate I waste several seconds with Mission Control each time that I wouldn't waste if Expose was still around.

That's what App Exposť is for.

MacFly123
Sep 19, 2011, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry but this is just stupid!

I get it appealing to nerds, but come on. As you can see, there is a reason Apple redesigned OS X's UI from the ground up for multi-touch. The traffic lights in OS X were already kind of small by mouse pointer standards, and seeing them on an iOS device meant for touch is just laughable lol. :roll eyes:

Hey, look on the bright side. Microsoft would probably think this is a good idea haha. :p

illitrate23
Sep 19, 2011, 11:54 PM

Use control + down-arrow instead of F3 to get your previous app-expose type functionality. It's in the Settings, under both Keyboard and Mission Control.
Am sure with more searching there's a way to switch the F3 key's action to this instead of all apps.

Joelcarter86
Sep 20, 2011, 12:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Doesn't seem to be free... Looks like you have to play $3.50

Chunkybvtt
Sep 20, 2011, 12:43 AM
I've typed in the URL every way I can imagine in Curia manage source section, and it just keeps tellin me connection timed out or in valid URL, I copied and pasted the URL exactly as shown, anyone able to help me get this theme, thanks

WestonHarvey1
Sep 20, 2011, 01:20 AM

What an incredible amount of effort to prove Apple's point for them. So many fat-finger blunders in that trailer for all to see.

Anyone who has used a remote desktop tool on iOS already understands why you need a totally new interface for touch.

photographypro
Sep 20, 2011, 02:00 AM
What phone are they demoing this on? The screen is larger than an iPhone 4, and if you look at the photo, there are 3 buttons on the left side on the screen.

Could this be an iPhone 5? I've heard they moved the mute switch to the right side. Maybe to make room for the third button? And what does this button do?

(I find this more exciting than running Lion on my 4- video was cool, but I'll stick with iOS 4 and 5 when it comes next month)

nzlucas
Sep 20, 2011, 03:02 AM

Look in the preferences for mission control. I have set up a hot key for a expose' style view of all open windows of a program.

flottenheimer
Sep 20, 2011, 03:57 AM
This is stupid. But amazing.

This is exactly what Microsoft did when making an OS for handheld devices - cramming Windows onto small screens. And it failed.

Imagine the amount of time used on this. They could - and should - have made something useful instead.

JesterJJZ
Sep 20, 2011, 04:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

What!? There's no expose in Lion!??? Kidding right?

JTToft
Sep 20, 2011, 05:17 AM
That actually looks quite polished. Surprisingly well done.

WvB22
Sep 20, 2011, 05:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The theme is quite usable actually. The windows and the close buttons are ultra small, but it doesn't matter: if you click the upper left part of a window it will close that window. Hide and resizing of the window doesn't work (and you wouldn't want it to do that anyway). It's just a nice tweak and eye candy. I'm pretty amazed it's still usable but then again, this theme doesn't try to replace iOS in any way.

KnightWRX
Sep 20, 2011, 06:09 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

What!? There's no expose in Lion!??? Kidding right?

Expose is still there. It's just called Application Expose now for what they want. It's binded to Mouse 5 for me, works beautifully with XCode 3.2.6.

solarguy17
Sep 20, 2011, 06:21 AM

I try to add the source fnetdesigns.com/cydia/repo but it keeps timing out. Thoughts? I just pasted the above after http:// in the add sources dialog box.

till213
Sep 20, 2011, 07:57 AM
Haven't there been people crying for a unified iOS / Mac OS X? Now guys, see where Apple is heading ;)

till213
Sep 20, 2011, 08:07 AM

Or actually... Option + TAB... or wait, heck, was it Option + < to switch to the next application window? WTF Apple! I wish they could FINALLY implement WINDOW-switching like ANY other OS, dammit! (*)

I don't care what you call it, Expose, Mission Control, Launcher... swishy-swosh, move or slide the windows around as you wish for those users who fancy that.

But please, pleeaaase, with sugar on top, implement window switching the way it is meant to be: Option + TAB, and nothing else.

Otherwise anyone shows me how I can switch back to the window "3 window(**) ago" WITHIN 0.01 seconds (the time it takes me to hit ALT + TAB 3 times on other OSs) - and YES, I am the kind of user who quite often happens to have SEVERAL applications open, and EACH application has several main windows open and YES, I CAN remember what window I was using "3 window ago"). And please NO ******** ANIMATIONS in between!

(*) Please don't mention any OS extensions worth 20 bucks to re-implement which any other OS is capable of since last century!

(**) Yes, you're right, I spelled WINDOW, NOT APPLICATION!

rmwebs
Sep 20, 2011, 08:22 AM

Explain how its proof that stuff like this doesnt work? It works, its a theme...stop turning every thread into a place for you to start an argument.

Someone made a nice theme for the iPhone, if you dont like it, dont use it.

bigjnyc
Sep 20, 2011, 08:26 AM
Looks like a cool novelty on the iPhone, probably something you would play around with for a few days.... Now on the iPad this really could have potential to be cool and useful.

jonnysods
Sep 20, 2011, 08:40 AM
Wow, that would have taken a lot of work to put together.

Looks fun, it would be way more fun on the iPad.

NAG
Sep 20, 2011, 08:42 AM
They obviously put a lot of work into it but are still some glaring rough edges (obviously, it is beta). Doubt it will ever be better for productivity than the default UI but no real harm in them playing around.

Jay42
Sep 20, 2011, 08:58 AM
Pretty inefficient use of screen real estate.

discosoap
Sep 20, 2011, 09:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Doesn't seem to be free... Looks like you have to play $3.50

It's not free... Currently a $3.50 charge for donation to developer for beta access...

I was able to install it for free:

instead of using the Lifehacker guide, do the following:

- install Dreamboard 1.1.4 via Cydia (use the modmyi repo)
- open Dreamboard
- install OSX Ultimatum

Fairly nice, kinda gimmicky, takes getting used to, but great proof of concept. Have fun fellow tweakers :)

GCardoso
Sep 20, 2011, 09:59 AM
Please help me, i have an iPod touch 2g with 4.2.1 and i don't know how to jailbreak it (i've tried green poison but it doesn't work) and i really want to try this out. What can i do? :(

Edit: Solved

KamuiVII
Sep 20, 2011, 10:19 AM
what i don't get is.... why are key commands listed in the drop downs??? :eek: but definitely awesome

Gavernty
Sep 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
people who have not used the theme should stop giving their opinions. This theme is definitely usable, and the menus fit the needs of the phone pretty well IMO, I might stick with this theme for a while

photographypro
Sep 20, 2011, 11:08 AM
What Phone is used for the demo?

It has a larger screen than a 4. And the photo shows THREE BUTTONS on the left side. The case photos for the 5 show the Mute button on the right.

Any ideas?

Dhelsdon
Sep 20, 2011, 11:36 AM
what i don't get is.... why are key commands listed in the drop downs??? :eek: but definitely awesome

My guess is to make it look as realistic as possible. Or at least as close to the real thing as they can.

accessoriesguy
Sep 20, 2011, 12:18 PM
i'm surprised at how well it runs. I would have expected more lag.

macnisse
Sep 20, 2011, 12:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well done!

GCardoso
Sep 20, 2011, 01:08 PM
The theme outlet store is down, is there any place where we can download this??? :confused:

LoganT
Sep 20, 2011, 01:34 PM
It's like someone looked at Windows Mobile and thought "Hey, that was such a resounding success, let's do something like that!"

Jahmez
Sep 20, 2011, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=till213;13376737]
But please, pleeaaase, with sugar on top, implement window switching the way it is meant to be: Option + TAB, and nothing else.

Otherwise anyone shows me how I can switch back to the window "3 window(**) ago" WITHIN 0.01 seconds (the time it takes me to hit ALT + TAB 3 times on other OSs) - and YES, I am the kind of user who quite often happens to have SEVERAL applications open, and EACH application has several main windows open and YES, I CAN remember what window I was using "3 window ago"). And please NO ******** ANIMATIONS in between!

There has actually been a way to do this for a while now. Command + `
That will switch between windows just like Command + tab switches between applications.

Sorry, this is my first post, and I'm not sure how to set the quotes in a separate box

motorazr
Sep 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
Honestly, I haven't bothed jail breaking since iPhone 1 back when it was all terminal commands and good luck charms... oh, and buggy software. I know the whole jail break system is pretty stable these days.. but this looks like it might actually be worth playing with!

Swift
Sep 20, 2011, 02:35 PM
It's undeniably cool, but an incredible kludge to put the desktop interface on an iDevice. Look at the video! The menus are unmanageable. It's like Windows' version of touch: in Windows 7, you can put a touch layer above a standard windows app, and good luck finding the place to click with your finger. Same here: the finger model clicks without hitting. I'm sure they edited out the times when he clicked on the wrong menu.

OSX menus ≠ phone interface.

Jibbajabba
Sep 21, 2011, 03:41 AM
Sorry, this is my first post, and I'm not sure how to set the quotes in a separate box

Copy / Paste ...

First line of text

Second line of text

Which will look like

First line of text

Second line of text

zachkolk
Sep 21, 2011, 02:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

A note of interest, in the menubar is says Command-N is new finder window & when tapped, you do get a window, but when using a physical keyboard, Command-N does nothing as with all the other keyboar shortcuts.

revelated
Sep 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
Port this to iPad and I....*I* will buy one. JUST FOR this. Just to have a taste of what Apple should have done.

orfeas0
Oct 4, 2011, 08:40 AM
Maybe the commands listed are working with a bluetooth apple keyboard connected to the iphone?
Edit: Nevermind, A note of interest, in the menubar is says Command-N is new finder window & when tapped, you do get a window, but when using a physical keyboard, Command-N does nothing as with all the other keyboar shortcuts.
Anyhow, I installed this and it's freaking awesome. It has a finder, where you can have your apps and games in different folders etc, you can put apps in the desktop, in the favorites folder (left from the trash can).
The problem is you can't change the dock apps. Oh and it also has a safari windowed version (like OSX) which you can open from the mission control!
There's also launchpad, although it's not as good as the iphone's normal desktop, for the only reason that you can't make folders.

I recommend it to anyone who wants his iphone to look a bit different :)

A question to other people using it: Does your dashboard work? Mine shows the clock and calendar, but the top widget (I guess it's weather?) doesn't work... Any solutions to that?