PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking a Quicksilver 867

User X
Oct 3, 2002, 03:16 PM
Has anybody overclocked an 867 Quicksilver or heard of any stability issues. I want to overclock to 1gz but want to make sure other people have done it without a problem first.

(dont want to have a $2000 paperweight)

I know that anytime you overclock you are taking a chance but it would be nice to know if the percentages are in my favor.

Backtothemac
Oct 3, 2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by User X
Has anybody overclocked an 867 Quicksilver or heard of any stability issues. I want to overclock to 1gz but want to make sure other people have done it without a problem first.

(dont want to have a $2000 paperweight)

I know that anytime you overclock you are taking a chance but it would be nice to know if the percentages are in my favor.

I don't know how much more blunt that I can be here, but don't do it. You are talking about having to cut on the mother board and make new connections. Really stupid to even try. Dual 867 is fast enough. Is it really worth a 10% speed increase to void your warranty and risk having a $2000 paperweight?

Hemingray
Oct 4, 2002, 01:24 AM
I have to second what BTTM said. Unless you are super good with a soldering iron and have an extremely steady hand, I wouldn't recommend it. And even if you did... I wouldn't recommend it.

User X
Oct 4, 2002, 07:31 AM
My model is only a single processor 867. My 1 year warrenty will be up this month. The only thing I would have to do is add one jumper. That being said, I will probably take your advice and leave it alone for now. Maybee I will try when I get a new power mac in 1-2years. Thanks for the advice.

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 4, 2002, 01:58 PM
I have heard its easier than most think to overclock to 1ghz with the 867's....i am thinking about overclocking mine sometime soon.

User X
Oct 4, 2002, 03:52 PM
Yea, it looks pretty easy. All you would have to do is set 1 jummper (R3) on the backside of the mother board. I just want to hear confirmed reports on stability before I try it.