PDA

View Full Version : Magic Mouse with MBA?

Chuchichan
Sep 20, 2011, 05:09 AM
Do you (would you) use a Magic Mouse with a 2011 MBA? I tried the new trackpad at the store and it's great, but I still fill like I'd need to use a mouse. Just wondering what you do...

Thanks...

Macman45
Sep 20, 2011, 05:14 AM
Do you (would you) use a Magic Mouse with a 2011 MBA? I tried the new trackpad at the store and it's great, but I still fill like I'd need to use a mouse. Just wondering what you do...

Thanks...

Really thought about that...I'm really used to my MM as I opted for it with my iMac instead of the trackpad. I'm going to give the MBA pad a good long try before I resort to a mouse though. Won't know until I get my air ( next few days)

I guess if I can't get to grips with the pad I'd use an MM.....time will tell:)

litchblade
Sep 20, 2011, 05:19 AM
Im only using the Trackpad, even ordered the wireless trackpad. When you get used to it it is so damn fast...

iCole
Sep 20, 2011, 05:22 AM
I would go for a regular wired mouse. Then you have the trackpad for gestures and the mouse for work en play. Easier if you want to play a game or work with windows.

ZipZap
Sep 20, 2011, 05:43 AM
The trackpad built into the MBA is an annoyance. I have an external track pad but use my magic mouse most.

I am not an advocate of the built in stuff. Prefer and external mouse.

vitzr
Sep 20, 2011, 05:55 AM
The trackpad is one of the MBA & MBP's best features. The only people i know that don't like it are those who are too stubborn to learn how to use it.

You're really cheating yourself & defeating the purpose of Apples terrific engineering if you don't learn how to use it and enjoy it.

Big, smooth, easy to use, and ever so accurate, why even buy an MBA if you're going to use a mouse?

You might as well stay stuck in the past.

deeddawg
Sep 20, 2011, 07:24 AM
The trackpad built into the MBA is an annoyance. I have an external track pad but use my magic mouse most.

Each person has his/her own preferences; all valid. Glad there are options.

As for me, I'd been a mouse / trackpoint user for years and years, absolutely detesting trackpads as they've been implemented on Windows laptops.

With Macs though, I vastly prefer the trackpad over a mouse. The gestures flow very well and are a huge usage advantage.

fireworksdesign
Sep 20, 2011, 07:41 AM
Yes the trackpad is great unless youre a gfx designer. For example in fireworks, when you do a hold a left button and drag it, like drawing a curve, its difficult in the trackpad, not to mention ull also use a keyboard button.

Thanks...

ZipZap
Sep 20, 2011, 08:24 AM
The trackpad is one of the MBA & MBP's best features. The only people i know that don't like it are those who are too stubborn to learn how to use it.

You're really cheating yourself & defeating the purpose of Apples terrific engineering if you don't learn how to use it and enjoy it.

Big, smooth, easy to use, and ever so accurate, why even buy an MBA if you're going to use a mouse?

You might as well stay stuck in the past.

All builtin in trackpads on ALL laptops are an annoyance. Inconveniently placed. I'll take a mouse or external trackpad over it any day.

Has nothing to do with learning how to use it.

litchblade
Sep 20, 2011, 08:36 AM
The trackpad built into the MBA is an annoyance.

Sorry but this is the biggest **** I've ever read on a apple forum. The Macbook Trackpads are the best trackpads ever made tbh.

scarred
Sep 20, 2011, 08:36 AM
The answer is, "it depends on what you are doing".

The trackpad, with gestures, is quite amazing for doing the simple daily things one does with the Macbook Air. Email, internet, videos, iTunes, todo lists, etc. I would absolutely recommend getting used to the trackpad for those activities. It is ilke using an iPad.

The trackpad becomes cumbersome (for me at least) when I use this thing for stuff like programming, photo edits, word and excel, etc. Any time I need to "point and click", I want a mouse. I can make do with the trackpad, but it gets old fast.

Pointing and clicking all the time? Mouse. Gestures, trackpad. Do not underestimate how often you use gestures in Lion. I use them all the time.

summitRun
Sep 20, 2011, 08:50 AM
The answer is, "it depends on what you are doing".

exactly... I personally find a mouse an annoyance that clutters up my workspace whereby I would constantly push it out of my way to make room for things I am working with. On the 11" a mouse just seems like overkill.

ZipZap
Sep 20, 2011, 09:02 AM
I stand by my statement.

You're entitled to yours.

deeddawg
Sep 20, 2011, 09:11 AM
Sorry but this is the biggest **** I've ever read on a apple forum. The Macbook Trackpads are the best trackpads ever made tbh.

I think ZipZap was making a statement of individual preference, not a general statement applicable to everyone.

You could give me a box of the world's best licorice, but I'm still not going to like it. That doesn't mean it isn't good licorice, it just means I don't like the stuff no matter *how* good it is in its category. :D

To the OP -- I'd recommend giving the built in trackpad a try for a while, you can always add a mouse later if you find the trackpad just isn't working for you. One of the big reasons I prefer the built in version is that I don't have to change up how I use the computer if I'm using the computer in my lap instead of at a desk.

dingclancy
Sep 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
I didn't like the Trackpad much unitl I increased the scrolling speed to close to max. Now I use it as default and am definitely comfortable with this. It is definitely responsive.

Only time I pull up a mouse is when I deal with large Excel tables.

richpjr
Sep 20, 2011, 09:22 AM
I have both a Magic TrackPad and Magic Mouse for my iMac and find myself using different ones for different things. As others have pointed out, things like programming or editing photos can be done much faster with a mouse than trackpad, at least for me. Clearly gestures and "lighter" tasks work fine on a trackpad. Ironically, I am looking to pick up a Magic Mouse for my MBA because I do a lot of programming on my MBA.

Confuzzzed
Sep 20, 2011, 09:33 AM
Used to be a heavy mouse user on laptops BUT I have to say the trackpad is AMAZING. It does require learning new habits but once you do, productivity is so much better and your interaction with the computer just flows better. Try it for a few weeks and you won't go back.

KohPhiPhi
Sep 20, 2011, 10:27 AM
The MBA trackpad is among the very best in the market, period! However, I use my Magic Mouse because I simply prefer the ergonomics of a mouse over a trackpad... $80 in a mouse, ouch!

jamesr19
Sep 20, 2011, 12:18 PM
The trackpad on the MBA is one of the better trackpads on MacBook models. It is far better than a mouse when using Lion - the gestures really suit the touchpad.

If you are going to use it with an external monitor get the mouse as it's better for graphics/games etc and there's not much point having two trackpads..

ryan.apham
Sep 20, 2011, 12:45 PM
The trackpad on the MBA is one of the better trackpads on MacBook models. It is far better than a mouse when using Lion - the gestures really suit the touchpad.

If you are going to use it with an external monitor get the mouse as it's better for graphics/games etc and there's not much point having two trackpads..

If you buy an MBA purely for portability - you travel a lot, then I recommend using only a wired mouse. You sure do not want to use that Bluetooth thingy and suddenly realise that the aeroplane is free-falling :D. In addition, it will be very annoying if you do not have a replacement set of batteries if the batteries inside the mouse run out.

Bringing an external track pad will be a pain when travelling either.

If your purpose is not to bring along when travelling, then sorry for wasting your precious time on reading this :).

weinschela
Sep 20, 2011, 02:17 PM
I use the built-in trackpad when going portable but in my office connect to a MM and a BT keyboard and a monitor, and close the lid. The MBA becomes the CPU. It is all a matter of personal preference.

reputationZed
Sep 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
Two scenarios in which I prefer a mouse, when I need precision (Photshop for example) or when I'm using a large monitor. The Magic Mouse wouldn't be my first choice in mice though, I just don't like it from an ergonomic perspective. Ideally if I need precision or I'm on a big screen I like to use a Logitech MX for moving the cursor and the trackpad for gestures.

Brandon0448
Sep 20, 2011, 03:53 PM
The only time I use a mouse with my MBA is when I occasionally play a shooter. The mouse I use is the Razor Orochi, The Magic Mouse is too flat and the touch is not ideal for games.

Tzuten
Sep 21, 2011, 01:50 AM

I am not an advocate of the built in stuff. Prefer and external mouse.

I don't understand this at all...... Have you ever tried to use a Dell trackpad?? Or most of the PC trackpads? The MBA is my first mac in a long time and the trackpad with Lion gestures is amazing...

I have max'd out XPS 15 from Dell from work, and i find myself never using it now just because of how refined the experience and hardware (trackpad) is with the Mac..

mrsir2009
Sep 21, 2011, 01:52 AM
Well, I find my MacBook Pro's trackpad nicer and easier to use for extended periods than my iMac's magic mouse. Maybe its just because I'm so used to trackpads.

orfeas0
Sep 21, 2011, 06:26 AM

Thanks...

The Magic trackpad (and the built-in trackpad ofc) are perfect for almost every day-to-day task!
The only reason you would need a normal mouse is for gaming. And for gaming, the magic mouse sucks (actually , IMHO, it sucks in general...).
So you better use the built in trackpad and when/if you wanna play a game just connect a normal mouse, wired or wireless, whatever. Suggesting: Logitech.
Actually you know, I've had a microsoft mouse (just a plain simple white mouse with a scrollbar and 2 clicks), and it's working perfectly! My logitech kinda dissapointed me when it broke without me dropping anything on it or it down... Then again, while it lasted, it was the best mouse i've ever had for hardcore gaming. But for a macbook air, meh... Better go with a simple microsoft mouse of 5$ that works better than the... magic mouse of 50$.

ZipZap
Sep 21, 2011, 06:36 AM
I don't understand this at all...... Have you ever tried to use a Dell trackpad?? Or most of the PC trackpads? The MBA is my first mac in a long time and the trackpad with Lion gestures is amazing...

I have max'd out XPS 15 from Dell from work, and i find myself never using it now just because of how refined the experience and hardware (trackpad) is with the Mac..

All builtin trackpads are an annoyance and I should have been more clear.

Yes, it can be useful and the MBA is the best Ive seen...but I perfer external devises (mouse, trackpad) and I prefer a mouse over the pad. 25 years of mousing.