Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoya87eagle91

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
(my first post, so go easy if I am not too sharp!)

It seems that the just-released dual 2.0GHz PM is priced about the same as the previous dual 2.0 model, which is still available through a few resellers, including Apple store.

It looks like the RAM, hard drive, and processors are identical in both machines. The major differences seem to be PCI-X in the previous model vs. PCI in the new model, and an 8x superdrive in the previous model vs. 16x in the new model.

Can anyone tell me if I should prefer one over the other if the prices are essentially the same (+/- $100) after buying a copy of tiger for the older model? What will PCI-X get me? I will be using photoshop extensively and video editing occasionally, and I would like to store photos, film and music on both DVD and or CD as well as backed up on an external drive.

I am writing this from my five-year- old Dell Dimension, and I'm ready to switch, darn it!

Thanks very much

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
hoya87eagle91 said:
(my first post, so go easy if I am not too sharp!)

It seems that the just-released dual 2.0GHz PM is priced about the same as the previous dual 2.0 model, which is still available through a few resellers, including Apple store.

It looks like the RAM, hard drive, and processors are identical in both machines. The major differences seem to be PCI-X in the previous model vs. PCI in the new model, and an 8x superdrive in the previous model vs. 16x in the new model.

Can anyone tell me if I should prefer one over the other if the prices are essentially the same (+/- $100) after buying a copy of tiger for the older model? What will PCI-X get me? I will be using photoshop extensively and video editing occasionally, and I would like to store photos, film and music on both DVD and or CD as well as backed up on an external drive.

I am writing this from my five-year- old Dell Dimension, and I'm ready to switch, darn it!

Thanks very much

First off, welcome to MacRumors :)

Now to the question. The only difference between the Rev B and Rev C are:

• 4GB max RAM on Rev C, while Rev B had 8GB Max.
• Rev C has faster DVD burner AND dual layer. For me the extra room isn't enough anyways.
• I think you get a better video card by default w/ more vRAM.

If that's all, I think that's the only differences. So unless you need more than 4GB ram and a lot of DVD storage (and faster), and a better (standard) video card, then the Rev B isn't much different.

Or you could get the 2.3Ghz model for the same price (I think) as the Rev B 2.0Ghz was.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Currently you won't get much use out of PCI-X except for some high performance cards ie fiber channel or some high end video capture cards or some other workstation/server application. Though most are designed for PCI. And since both Intel and AMD are adopting PCI-Express there probably isn't much of a future for the expanded capabilities that PCI-X offers.

hoya87eagle91

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
And thank you too. Looks like the new 2.0Ghz for $2k is a great all around machine for the price. Any other opinions out there?

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
hoya87eagle91 said:
And thank you too. Looks like the new 2.0Ghz for $2k is a great all around machine for the price. Any other opinions out there?

That is exactly what I decided on and ordered today, the dual 2.0 GHz system. I upped it to 1 gig of RAM, got the Radeon 9650, and added the bluetooth and wireless options. I am looking forward to getting my first Mac.

zimtheinvader

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
the capitol
I would argue the previous 2.0 dual, but that's based on the amount of time I have kept my current PM and the fact that I maxed the Ram 2 years ago and have since hit memory bumps/limits, though admittedly rarely.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Me too

Hey

As another vote of confidence, I also ordered the new 2.0, though I got it stock and will be slipping in my 200GB SATA HDD and 1GB RAM left over from my iMac. Thought about upgrading the GPU, but I simply don't use it enough to justify it right now, and can always do so later - but the one bad thing for me about the shift away from the 5200 is that I can no longer use my ADC monitor without forking out for those damn DVI adapters that cost a fortune!

I probably would have considered an new 'old' 2.0 at a lower price if that option were available in Australia, but alas, Apple don't sell the refurbed/run-out stock here.

Nevertheless, I'm extremely happy with my purchase, given that I remember drooling over this machine nearly two years ago ;)

hoya87eagle91

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I finally pulled the trigger, the decision was pretty much made for me: The new dual 2.0.

I had really hoped to buy the old version from Amazon to get the $200 coupon and to save the $160 tax, but they are currently sold out. The previous model was also sold out today at the Apple store in SF. I didn't want to wait for the Apple online shipment to arrive, so the new dual 2.0 it was. As I've been waiting for this for months, I had to get it over with.

I was a bit hesitant, given the 4MB RAM limit. I think I'll be fine for many years with that much RAM. On a good note, the store was chock full of open box accessories that I needed, such as a wireless card, bluetooth plug, and the airport express. I saved $80 on these. Thanks for help everyone!

mactonight

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2005
VT, USA
I haven't seen this addressed anywhere else:
The RevB from the online Apple store doesn't have a BTO option, is there still a way to have them add the internal bluetooth module? If so, would it be the new BT 2.0, or BT 1.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.