PDA

View Full Version : bootcamp on 128 gb air?

hks777
Sep 20, 2011, 11:01 AM
is it possible(yes it is,but is it going get to small?) to use bootcamp (with windows 7) + rift (8gb) and also some smaller programs?

it is a big price different 200$

ryan.apham
Sep 20, 2011, 11:40 AM
is it possible(yes it is,but is it going get to small?) to use bootcamp (with windows 7) + rift (8gb) and also some smaller programs?

it is a big price different 200$

You can use crossover, a program which does not require you to install a copy of Windows but still allows you to install some applications for Windows. The list of applications can be found on their website.

Cheers,

Ryan A. Pham

hks777
Sep 20, 2011, 11:49 AM
You can use crossover, a program which does not require you to install a copy of Windows but still allows you to install some applications for Windows. The list of applications can be found on their website.

Cheers,

Ryan A. Pham

i am sorry that is not an option

danpass
Sep 20, 2011, 12:09 PM
gonna be pretty small. you'd likely only be happy with a minimum 40gb for the bootcamp partition.

which obviously leaves just 80gb for OSX.

I just did it on a 256gb and was really waffling about 60gb so I stuck with 40gb.

jamesr19
Sep 20, 2011, 12:21 PM
If you don't use windows much then create a small partition (just big enough for the OS and a few essential programs) then install the rest of the windows applications onto a USB drive/SD card so you can use them when you need them

Alternatively use a VM of windows with a resizable disk from within Mac <- my preferred option as you won't have to have 2 copies of Word as you can use Mac version and copy/paste between the two (using Parallels)

hks777
Sep 20, 2011, 12:23 PM
gonna be pretty small. you'd likely only be happy with a minimum 40gb for the bootcamp partition.

which obviously leaves just 80gb for OSX.

I just did it on a 256gb and was really waffling about 60gb so I stuck with 40gb.

ok thank you:)

----------

If you don't use windows much then create a small partition (just big enough for the OS and a few essential programs) then install the rest of the windows applications onto a USB drive/SD card so you can use them when you need them

Alternatively use a VM of windows with a resizable disk from within Mac <- my preferred option as you won't have to have 2 copies of Word as you can use Mac version and copy/paste between the two (using Parallels)

great idea about the usb stick:)

KPOM
Sep 20, 2011, 02:27 PM
Note that the USB card is going to be a lot slower than the internal SSD. If you can afford the 256GB SSD I'd go for it. Granted, I did manage for the last 2 years to cram both OS X and Windows 7 onto a 128GB SSD, but I didn't have an 8GB game on Windows. Note that the 128GB SSD is only 121GB, while the 256GB SSD is 251GB (meaning you have 130GB more space).