Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I am using my 2011 Air with an HP 27 inch monitor. I would love to get the Thunderbolt Display, but can't afford the cash.

My question is on the adapter type. Will I see an increase in quality of the display if I use a DVI adapter instead of a VGA adapter?

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
If your monitor supports both then definitely go for the DVI option! It creates a clearer picture as the output is digital not analog. This means that pixels are clearer which makes text easier to read and movies look better!

If you go with VGA (becoming an obsolete technology now) then definitely get the Apple adapter (not a 3rd party/eBay special) as the video quality is much better from Apple. I found that the video quality of an Apple DVI is better than eBay special but when I went and bought my own it suffered from severe interference so returned it the next day.

Getting a DVI also means that you can plug it into your TV using a DVI->HDMI cable. It won't support audio through HDMI this way but you still get the picture :) The DVI adapter does not support VGA output/adaptors - be warned!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Well, that depends on the resolution. If it's only 1080p, regular DVI will do, however, if it supports 2560x1440, then you'll need a dual-link DVI adapter, which is a bit more expensive.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Futher the question:

If you get the DVI connector, Does it like standard DVI on a computer also contain the analogue signal, allowing you to use the DVI to DSUB adapters?

or do you need to buy 2 different dongles from Apple?

mana2326

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
From Apple you need 2 separate adapters for DVI and VGA.
There might be 3rd party adapters that can provide a real DVI-I signal for a DVI -> VGA adapter...

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If the monitor supports HDMI input, consider using the miniDP to HDMI adapter.

I use my Samsung 24" 1080p monitor with my work computer via DVI and with my Macbook Air via HDMI input. This way I can just plug in the mac and change the source on the monitor with one button press; no futzing around with cables other than plugging into the mac. Bonus is I can use the same adapter with my HDTV to watch stuff.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Well, Right now i'm not connecting to an external display.

I'd like to. My monitors though range greatly on connectivity.

TV - HDMI
17" LCD - VGA
21" LCD - DVI
Work - VGA
Projector- HDMI

just looking for some option to not buying 3x adapters

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.