Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Can someone tell me how to do a clean install of Lion without iLife? I tried the link on top of this forum but i think it's for the old MBA because the instruction include dvd disks.

And How much do i get free space without iLife? is it even worth it?

Thanks

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Reboot to your recovery partition and erase and install. iLife won't be installed unless you download and reinstall it afterward from the App Store.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Reboot to your recovery partition and erase and install. iLife won't be installed unless you download and reinstall it afterward from the App Store.

But before you do this, go into the Mac App Store and "accept" all updates. That way, if you ever do want the iLife applications you'll be able to download them later.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
But before you do this, go into the Mac App Store and "accept" all updates. That way, if you ever do want the iLife applications you'll be able to download them later.

Yep. Make sure to claim it! You never when you may change your mind in the future. And on the bright side, if you have any other macs that have an older version or are missing iLife you will be able to now install iLife on up to 5 total computers.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida

wow... How do you reboot to recovery partition? is there a step by step guide online?

How come accepting updates make my iLife whenever i want it back? If i don't accept it i won't get it back later on?

Thanks

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Hold down CMD + R when you boot until you see the recovery screen

You can accept iLife after the re-install too

Just login to app store with appleID go to purchases and click accept

I'm pretty sure you accept this if you update the apps anyway and garageband has had at least 1 update recently.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
How come accepting updates make my iLife whenever i want it back? If i don't accept it i won't get it back later on?

Thanks

It registers that you have "purchased" the iLife apps (for $0) on your Apple ID. I've heard reports that people have had issues with this if they didn't accept before restoring OS X (this may be fixed, or there may be workarounds, but it's better to do this beforehand).

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
ok how much space will i save after doing clean install without ilife? if it is a little over 1GB i won't even bother reinstalling it. Can someone let me know?

Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
ok how much space will i save after doing clean install without ilife? if it is a little over 1GB i won't even bother reinstalling it. Can someone let me know?

Thanks
iLife takes up several gigabytes, not sure how many.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
BTW when you reinstall Lion from the recovery agent it doesn't wipe anything anyway

It just restores the OS, all your files and settings are left intact

It automatically does an archive and install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.