PDA

View Full Version : Clean install Lion without iLife?

stark4
Sep 20, 2011, 09:50 PM
Can someone tell me how to do a clean install of Lion without iLife? I tried the link on top of this forum but i think it's for the old MBA because the instruction include dvd disks.

And How much do i get free space without iLife? is it even worth it?

Thanks

Darth.Titan
Sep 20, 2011, 10:39 PM
Reboot to your recovery partition and erase and install. iLife won't be installed unless you download and reinstall it afterward from the App Store.

KPOM
Sep 20, 2011, 10:50 PM
Reboot to your recovery partition and erase and install. iLife won't be installed unless you download and reinstall it afterward from the App Store.

But before you do this, go into the Mac App Store and "accept" all updates. That way, if you ever do want the iLife applications you'll be able to download them later.

Gregintosh
Sep 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
But before you do this, go into the Mac App Store and "accept" all updates. That way, if you ever do want the iLife applications you'll be able to download them later.

Yep. Make sure to claim it! You never when you may change your mind in the future. And on the bright side, if you have any other macs that have an older version or are missing iLife you will be able to now install iLife on up to 5 total computers.

stark4
Sep 21, 2011, 12:16 AM

wow... How do you reboot to recovery partition? is there a step by step guide online?

How come accepting updates make my iLife whenever i want it back? If i don't accept it i won't get it back later on?

Thanks

bp1000
Sep 21, 2011, 08:04 AM
Hold down CMD + R when you boot until you see the recovery screen

You can accept iLife after the re-install too

Just login to app store with appleID go to purchases and click accept

I'm pretty sure you accept this if you update the apps anyway and garageband has had at least 1 update recently.

KPOM
Sep 21, 2011, 08:26 AM
How come accepting updates make my iLife whenever i want it back? If i don't accept it i won't get it back later on?

Thanks

It registers that you have "purchased" the iLife apps (for $0) on your Apple ID. I've heard reports that people have had issues with this if they didn't accept before restoring OS X (this may be fixed, or there may be workarounds, but it's better to do this beforehand).

stark4
Sep 21, 2011, 10:01 AM
ok how much space will i save after doing clean install without ilife? if it is a little over 1GB i won't even bother reinstalling it. Can someone let me know?

Thanks

chrfr
Sep 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
ok how much space will i save after doing clean install without ilife? if it is a little over 1GB i won't even bother reinstalling it. Can someone let me know?

Thanks
iLife takes up several gigabytes, not sure how many.

stark4
Sep 21, 2011, 10:19 AM
iLife takes up several gigabytes, not sure how many.

okkk... that's what i want to know.. lol thanks for your answer

bp1000
Sep 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
BTW when you reinstall Lion from the recovery agent it doesn't wipe anything anyway

It just restores the OS, all your files and settings are left intact

It automatically does an archive and install.

stark4
Sep 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
btw when you reinstall lion from the recovery agent it doesn't wipe anything anyway

it just restores the os, all your files and settings are left intact

it automatically does an archive and install.

wrong!

bp1000
Sep 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
wrong!

whatever

i've already reinstalled lion and what i said in the post is exactly what it did.

aristobrat
Sep 21, 2011, 11:26 AM
wrong!
No. Unless you specifically go into Disk Utility and erase the HDD manually, it will not do a clean install. That's been the behavior since Snow Leopard was released.