Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
A bit hard to explain but here goes. I've run into something interesting on my G5. If I shut it down or restart it a funny thing happens. The screen goes blue with a small square with a globe in it. Then a small blue folder appears with a question mark inside of it. This flashes and then the question mark alternates with the Mac symbol (the Mac symbol/face). After this the screen goes to white with the Apple symbol and then boots. Anybody tell me what's going on here? What did I do? How can I go back to a normal boot? This is a bit scary. BTW, I've got a G5 that I bought when they first came out. Am running the latest version of Panther. Thanks

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
It is trying to start up off of a network server (the globe), failing, searching for a startup disk, (the question marked folder), then finding your Panther drive.

Go to System Preferences, then Startup Folder, then choose your Panther folder and not the Network Server option.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Mechcozmo said:
It is trying to start up off of a network server (the globe), failing, searching for a startup disk, (the question marked folder), then finding your Panther drive.

Go to System Preferences, then Startup Folder, then choose your Panther folder and not the Network Server option.

Mechcozmo, Thanks so much for the help. Followed your advice and everything is back to normal. Whew! Learn something every day :) Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.