PDA

View Full Version : Lots of bugs and glitches...

yongren
Sep 21, 2011, 10:33 PM
I upgraded from a 13" Pro to my new 2011 11" MBA a little over a month ago, and I totally love it—when it actually works smoothly...

My setup is pretty simple. I have the standard 128 GB model with 4 GB of RAM and a 1.6 GHz processor. I'm running OS X 10.7.1. When I'm at my desk, I put the computer in clamshell mode and connect a 22" monitor with a DVI adapter. I use an Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad, and I have several USB peripherals connected.

When disconnect everything and take the Air out of clamshell mode, I am consistently met with the following problems:
1. Fullscreen apps are still fitted to the 1080p screen—they stretch off the edge of the laptop into empty space, and the only way to re-adjust them is to go out and back into fullscreen mode.
2. Almost every graphical effect in Lion becomes extremely laggy. This includes swiping between desktops, entering or leaving Fullscreen Mode in any app, entering Mission Control, entering Launchpad, and entering Dashboard.
3. Graphical glitches become more frequent as well—usually in the form of bits of the menubar or the Safari bookmarks bar sticking to the screen, even when using other applications. Sometimes the black "Apple" icon in the top left of the menubar will hover in place even as the rest of the menubar stays hidden.

I'm experiencing other problems too, which may or may not be related—earlier today, the Pages app stole focus and wouldn't give it to anything else, including Finder and the Dock. I force-quit it, but when I opened it again a few minutes later, the same thing happened. I ended up just restarting the computer. Sometimes Safari bounces up and down forever without opening, until I finally force-quit it and try again. Mail, Contacts, and Calendar don't seem to get along with my fairly standard Gmail setup. Etc., etc., etc.

I know Lion is still pretty young, but I run into this problem practically every day, and it's getting fairly annoying...

Has anyone else had these sort of problems, or am I the only one?

KPOM
Sep 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
Lion has a lot of bugs. Most of us experiencing at least some of the issues you describe in some form. Hopefully upcoming releases will fix these issues.

alecgold
Sep 22, 2011, 01:12 AM
I had some of the problems with Lion. Not that many or that often that it got really annoying.
However, I noticed that in reformatting and fully new installing Lion on my father's old white macbook (2007 orso) it had become so much faster, it was actually booting faster than my 11"/i7/4/256 MBA. Darn.
So after 8 years of migrating through 8 laptops, I reformatted the 11", downloaded Lion and reinstalled each and every program and manually copied every bit of data.
It works, my 11" is not any longer a fast laptop, it is blazing. Booting is counted in seconds instead of minutes, opening programs has become even faster and waking from sleep is really good now.
I'm not going to suggest you reformat your laptop and copy everything back, but it seems that mine improved a whole lot from NOT migrating stuff. OTOH after 8 year there is a lot of accumulated debris left from ancient programs, versions and other $&!+

yongren
Oct 3, 2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the tip alecgold, I wiped & reinstalled this weekend with great results. It's still not perfect, but I'm hoping 10.7.2 and 10.7.3 will take care of the rest of the more annoying bugs I'm seeing.

orfeas0
Oct 3, 2011, 04:20 PM
I don't know about macs, but from my windows experience, full screen programs and multiple monitors are quite buggy. They work, but they get comfy to a monitor and need some tweaking when changing to another.
But it's not that hard to leave-enter the full-screen mode, is it?

sl1200ltd
Oct 3, 2011, 04:32 PM
:)