PDA

View Full Version : This may be quite the n00b question at hand..

helios16v
Sep 22, 2011, 01:29 AM
I have a 15" Aluminium PowerBook G4 1.67GHz DLSD/HR.. Everything on it is in fair working condition however it will not turn on and the keyboard is broken as well as been removed for quite some time now.

The question at hand being whether or not I can buy ANY Aluminium 15" PowerBook G4 to use as parts to fix this little guy up to a usable state again.

Mainly as I don't know exactly what is wrong with it and why it won't turn on anymore, I'm going to try and find a running 15" Aluminium PowerBook G4 but with a smashed display or something of the sort to use for parts. I just wanna be sure that I don't need the DLSD/HR model to repair this one.

-Ben

Cox Orange
Sep 22, 2011, 04:31 AM
Did you look under ifixit.com they have take-apart guides and an inventory-list of parts. If you search for a certain part, it also shows which models share the same part.

Did you perhaps have it in sleep mode and now it does not wake up? You even do not see the sleep light flashing?

My ibook G4 shuts down, when I choose sleep mode, immediately. As if someone pulled out the power chord from a TV or a desktop PC.

It won't start, too. BUT! If I pull the battery out and the power chord, ait a few seconds and then put everything together again, it starts up. I have now disabled the sleep mode in power saving preferences. It does even not start with PMU reset.

Oh, well you could try that: press shift+ctrl+apple+poweronbutton, I heard of PowerBooks only starting with using the PMU reset. You can use this at least to get to your data in the meantime.

Marcush1286
Sep 22, 2011, 10:22 AM
All you need is the keyboard, right? Try www.applecomponents.com and they have the part you are needing for your G4 PowerBook. Unless you want another G4 Powerbook for parts, try that website as they specialize in hard to find PowerPC parts.

Even though Apple no longer services any more PowerPC machines, I feel we as the users know our machines best where as Apple didn't.

MAC MAN JW
Sep 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
All you need is the keyboard, right? Try www.applecomponents.com and they have the part you are needing for your G4 PowerBook. Unless you want another G4 Powerbook for parts, try that website as they specialize in hard to find PowerPC parts.

Even though Apple no longer services any more PowerPC machines, I feel we as the users know our machines best where as Apple didn't.

It is more then just the keybord as the OP said "it will not turn on" it wood turn on if it was just the keybord :)

Des Zac
Sep 22, 2011, 12:40 PM

That website is down ?: /

Marcush1286
Sep 22, 2011, 12:47 PM
They are working on it it seems. Though its been a few months now. I am starting to wonder about www.applecomponents.com - perhaps Apple had them shut down? Apple is not being very receptive towards anyone who has older hardware.. I just got an HTC Sensation Android phone, and yet Apple flat out refuses to support t-mobile with the iphone.

I have every right to resent Apple as its not the same company as it used to be when I got on board with them 11 yrs ago.

That website is down ?: /