PDA

View Full Version : Any way to make my Sawtooth fan run quieter or any recommended fan replacement?

alexreich
Sep 22, 2011, 04:36 AM
Hey guys, Alex here.

I love my PowerMac server, but it just too damn loud to have sitting next to my desk while working. I currently have it moved to another room in my home because it's gotten a bit annoying (and it competes with the volume of my gaming/iTunes). My question is, how can I get the machine to be a quieter, and still run cool? I love having the thing around, because it's very cool to show people, but if it's going to stay in my work space, it has to be quieter.

Have any of you upgraded/replaced your Sawtooth's fans to make your machine quieter?

Thanks for any help!
-Alex :apple:

tersono
Sep 22, 2011, 05:35 AM
Simple fan replacement is probably a good idea. The Sawtooth's fan's weren't THAT loud when new, but as the bearings wear they're gonna get noisier. Modern fans tend to be quieter anyhow, but don't be tempted to reduce the amount of cooling available...

zen.state
Sep 22, 2011, 07:00 AM
In my experience the best and longest lasting fans are Antec. I have a 120mm dual ball bearing tricool model in my Sawtooth along with an 80mm in the PSU and another 80-mm mounted on the FF-Class bracket above the airport card slot. I am very happy with them and the Tricool models I have include a built in speed control with each fan.

A standard tricool will be great and only cost 10-15 depending on where you buy it. They also have a new series out with built in dampeners that would be even more quiet. It's called the "True Quiet".

Link:
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjYxNSYxNQ==

adcx64
Sep 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
+1 for tricool. My dad's PC uses 2 of them and they've been running for a good 4 years now without problems.

alexreich
Sep 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'll be sure to check those out :D

Cox Orange
Mar 16, 2012, 05:06 PM
I did a research, because I want to replace my case fan, too.

To have a direction, I took the specs for the stock fan of the Sawtooth, which I found here http://infohost.nmt.edu/~holstien/g4info.html

Sensflow 120x120x25mm (made by Delta Electronics)
12 Volt, 4.32 Watt, 0.44 Amp
86.52 CFM, 2470 RPM (max), 37.6 dBA
Heat regulated (temp sensor attached to motor)
P/N:WFC1212B

Because your Antec Tricool suggestion is lower as the 86.52cfm (146m3/h), I decided to make three categories:
a) fans higher than 146m3/h
b) fans even higher than 146m3/h, but lowered in speed to produce 146m3/h (the reason was to see the noise level, thinking, that a more powerful fan may result in lower noise with low rpm, than 146m3/h fans)
c) fans arround 133m3/h (the air flow of Antec TriCool)

For c) the reason they work could be either, that you guys are using an additonal 80mm fan or that not the whole 146m3/h is really needed.

I will append a apple works "excel" sheet. It is not "graphically" nice, but it serves it's purpose :)

The aim was to get under the noise level of the stock fan as much as possible, while getting about the same air flow.

It looks as if the
- Tacens Ventus II is the choice, but I do not really know... 20dB(A) at 151m3/h sounds not quiet true.
- The Zaward Golf Fan G3 (ZG3-120B or D) with reduced speed and ca. 24-25dB(A) for 146m3/h (max 161m3/h at 30dB(A)) would be interesting to see in real test situation.
- The Akasa black fan (auto thermal) AK-174BKT-B, would be intresting because of its built in thermal sensor (just like the apple stock fan) and would be able to give more air flow, if needed (max 178m3/h, but at 38dB(A) and would cause an estimated 32dB(A) at 146m3/h air flow.
- The SilverStone FM121 may be able to be quieter as the Akasa, because it has 9m3/h more at max air flow with just 1dB(A) more. I do not know how loud it will be at 146m3/h air flow.

Edit: added jpeg-archive in case someone can't open apple works files

Cox Orange
Mar 17, 2012, 05:59 PM
any comments or recommendations to my selections?