Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I'm thinking about getting a MBA 13 inch. Would you recommend that I get keyboard and screen protectors for it? If so, would you recommend Moshi?

Thanks in advance...

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I can understand the point of a keyboard protector if you have clumsy roommates and can't ensure they won't knock over a drink onto the keyboard.

But why do you feel you might need a laptop screen protector? It's not a touch-screen and it's protected when the lid is down; what are you seeking to protect the screen from?

Last edited:

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I can understand the point of a keyboard protector if you have clumsy roommates and can't ensure they won't knock over a drink onto the keyboard.

But why do you feel you might need a laptop screen protector? It's not a touch-screen and it's protected when the lid is down; what are you seeking to protect the screen from?

My kids are 3 and 5 and most likely would use the computer minimally. I'm worried about them touching the screen. Maybe the keyboard is ok.

Right now I have two kids (3 and 5) and I'm a bit worried about them using it. Right now, we are using a 7 year old PowerBook, so I'm not as concerned. Even the PowerBook had an iSkin keyboard protector and I used it until just a few days ago :) Now I am enjoying a pristine keyboard on a laptop that freezes a few times a day and can't be unplugged.

So, deep down I say..."don't worry about it"...as long as they aren't eating and throwing the laptop around it should be ok.

What would you all do if you had two young kids using the laptop occasionally?

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
my gf is clumsy like hardcore..

i outfitted mine with;

wrapsol + speck (i know this is over kill but i already had the wrapsol on and wasnt gonna take it off)
moshi palmrest/trackguard
moshi clearguard (keyboard)

the only way she can ruin it is if she spills something into the fans or drops the laptop onto something hard.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My kids are 3 and 5 and most likely would use the computer minimally. [..] What would you all do if you had two young kids using the laptop occasionally?

Best scenario would probably be to limit their usage to in clamshell mode with an external monitor and keyboard plus mouse or trackpad . That may not be workable in your situation, but would provide the greatest degree of kid-proofing. (understanding nothing is kid-proof!)

As to using it as a laptop, I'd be most concerned with the keyboard and liquid spills.
Still, consider these instances: :eek:

http://goo.gl/nZntT
http://goo.gl/i8XX6
http://goo.gl/cNPfs

Even age isn't proof against issues; 18yo w/ laptop at college managed to break a hinge and knocked a couple keys off the keyboard. Fortunately I'd bought accidental damage coverage on the system (Dell) and they repaired it with no issue.

phamduc.minhanh

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Singapore, Singapore
I'm thinking about getting a MBA 13 inch. Would you recommend that I get keyboard and screen protectors for it? If so, would you recommend Moshi?

Thanks in advance...

Greetings,

Whilst they are useful, they are not necessary. For the screen, you will not touch it, and I think that you will usually close the upper lip after each time using the machine, so there is really no need for a screen protector. For the keyboard, unless you are afraid that you might spill food and drinks onto it, a keyboard protector is not necessary as well. On a more serious note, a keyboard cover might even muffle the internal speakers, distorting the output sound. In addition, I have found typing without a keyboard cover faster and more convenient.

I hope that you will be able to decide for yourself.

Cheerio,

Pham Duc Minh Anh

Last edited:

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
Easier Cleaning?

Have always used a KB protector, on last 4 or 5 Mac laptops. Often use mechanical pencils right next to my Mac, and when I'm going wild the tiny bits of lead fly everywhere--just shake them of the KB condom into the trash. Also, don't like grubby keys...

BUT screen protector:confused: Have never used, but am actually thinking about for my new 11" MBA that'll arrive in a couple days (yea!). WHY? Going from a MB glass screen that's super easy to clean, I'm wondering whether a protector would be easier/quicker to wipe down than the Air's 'delicate-looking' screen. Thots?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It's good practice to Google promo codes when shopping online. Just wanted to share that I got a MBA Wrapsol 50% off so with tax and shipping it was $36.

http://www.offers.com/wrapsol/

Just click the yellow activate and it brings you to the site then add to cart!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.