PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 flash problem.

Lunatics
Sep 22, 2011, 10:23 AM
First, let me start off by saying I'm not really a mac user. I normally use Windows but recently got a Powerbook G4 to mess around with and try and learn OSX a little better. I've been trying to get this to work but it's just gotten very frustrating and annoying.

I'm trying to use Paltalk express and when I open the webpage, it instantly redirects me to the shockwave website and tells me I need it for the page to work correctly. I already have the most up to date one downloaded and installed and in the firefox pluggins it tells me that shockwave player is up to date. Flash player however is 9.0.4 something and tells me that it is out of date. I assume to get Paltalk to work I need the most up to date flash player.

On the website, I downloaded the old archived version of 10.1 that's supposed to work. I install it with browsers closed etc and the installation takes a few seconds to go from 0 to 20%, and then instantly jumps to 100% and says "finalizing installation, installation complete". When I go into firefox again, it still says I am on flash player 9.x and it is out of date. When I go to the paltalk website it still redirects me to shockwave as well. I have tried opening the website in both Safari and Firefox and it does the same thing in each and flash seems to not be actually updating to 10.1.

Any help would greatly be appreciated as I have tried everything I can think of and have limited knowledge of this OS.

MAC MAN JW
Sep 22, 2011, 10:31 AM
uninstall Adobe Flash 9 and 10.1 and then put in flash 10.1 :)

Marcush1286
Sep 22, 2011, 10:45 AM
Sorry to divert from the issue at hand, but wtf is PALTALK? I went there but yet I don't understand how to use it. My current PowerBook G4 does not have a webcam hooked up, or that I don't have my webcam with me to use it. Is it like IRC?

Lunatics
Sep 22, 2011, 10:58 AM
Its basically a webcam chatroom program with a bunch of rooms and users can create their own. There's a lot of radio shows on there and audio streams of other radio shows such as things on siriusxm. I use it to listen to the Opie and Anthony show live in the mornings as they broadcast their show for free on their in addition to Sirius but I don't use it for actual webcam chatting. On windows they have a client to download but mac is stuck with this flash website thing. I use my laptop to listen to the show in the morning before/at work and was hoping to use it on this powerbook I got, assuming I can set it up right.

Ill try completely removing the ald flash player I don't know why I didn't try that before I posted on here.

mabaker
Sep 23, 2011, 05:52 PM
PPC Macs are amazing for all things except displaying Flash content.

A PowerBook 1.33 can display stutter-free 720p video, but it must not be wrapped in the mess that is Flash.

Fortunately Flash is on its way out and the longevity of PPC macs got a nice boost with it.

So if you plan to use the PowerBook for anything else than Flash then it's a highly recommended computer.