Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I'm not saying that iTunes is going out of business, but Facebook's deal with Spotify just announced at F8 is going to put quite a hurt on the iTunes store's music sales.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
What you or I think of Facebook doesn't really matter. Facebook has over 800 million users, and had 500 million unique uses the other day.

This deal is going to give a huge boost to Spotify's business, particularly as it is breaking into the U.S. market, and it's definitely going to take significant business away from iTMS.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
What you've been listening to is going to be pasted all over your profile and distributed through various next-gen FB apps. Of course, that's what you've been listening to on Spotify. And what you've been watching on NetFlix.

Your "friends" (we all know that term is used pretty loosely at FB) will have a chance to hear the music or see some of the material, and if they're Spotify subscribers, to download the music.

It actually makes a lot of sense in terms of pushing music via word of mouth, and is sort of like having access to somebody's mixed tapes.

This is what Ping should have been, and perhaps would have been had negotiations not blown up with Facebook. Now Apple will probably be sorry that they didn't make the deal.

There are a lot of music and video partners involved in this project, and Apple is the obvious one that is notably absent, especially given that they are not only the largest music vendor online, but the largest music vendor full stop.

DeaconGTG

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
What you or I think of Facebook doesn't really matter. Facebook has over 800 million users, and had 500 million unique uses the other day.

This deal is going to give a huge boost to Spotify's business, particularly as it is breaking into the U.S. market, and it's definitely going to take significant business away from iTMS.

While I wouldn't say that this deal won't work (I can't predict the future), saying that Facebook's userbase will adopt it is a different stretch. Facebook tried to kill off Foursquare with "Places" and was highly unsuccessful. And for as many times that Google has launched a successful product, they've also stumbled, even with its high unique visit rate.

Personally, I think the the spotify deal isn't going to change much. Facebook users will now just link to spotify music clips as opposed to share youtube "videos" of their favorite music.

And sure it will hurt iTunes music sales, but they probably won't feel it much with the amount of money they're raking in from the app store and videos. Yay diversification!

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I really don't care what my friends are watching or listening to, and I really don't care that they know what I like, unless I want to tell them. FB keeps changing things and exposing information that wasn't intended to be shared.

Furthermore, FB is full of bored people playing Farmville and other time wasting crap. I can't see any value of going there to purchase something that everyone and their dog will soon know that I bought. FB has years of poor security performance that they've worked hard to create.

iTunes, on the other hand, is a destination for buying things. People already know it for such. I go there to buy and I know that I won't buy some trojan horse or that the purchase won't leak onto the evening news. Additionally, what I buy on iTunes is backed up on the iCloud and is easily shared with my other Apple appliances.

Facebook has its place and its own demographics apart from iTunes. It likely will siphon some sales away from iTunes, but then Apple isn't ever standing still, nor has the market stopped evolving.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i am very close to just deleting my Facebook account. its has its perks, but they're becoming fewer and fewer as time goes on and its just a matter of time before people are just annoyed with the constant 'improvements' and bloat to what started out as a good idea.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
The did screw them but good, I'm a huge apple fanatic and I'm using Spotify with Facebook as we speak. Its actually amazing, ill use iTunes when i feel like being private or something, ill never get rid of it.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (IPod Touch 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

PlaceofDis said:
i am very close to just deleting my Facebook account. its has its perks, but they're becoming fewer and fewer as time goes on and its just a matter of time before people are just annoyed with the constant 'improvements' and bloat to what started out as a good idea.

You can't.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I don't have any facebook apps installed and I have the platform disabled to reduce facebook's intrusive pervasion on the internet, and I have no interest in Spotify. Maybe I'm not their target market? I do have ~500 friends on facebook and I'll spend $50/month on iTunes/Amazon music, but nothing about their new system really interests me.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I am definitely getting older, Facebook sucks
despite having an FB profile I stick with linkedin for contact duties.

spotify, schmotify. I'm not even going to google it

whatever it is itunes is fully integrated into my setup, despite 10.4.1 reliably locking up on the windows machine lol

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Don't worry people, Apple has Ping remember?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.