PDA

View Full Version : Tom's hardware Lavishing praise on the iPod

topicolo
Oct 3, 2002, 08:23 PM
check it out. The popular pc site Tomshardware has done a review on the PC iPod and they seem pretty positive about it.
iPod Review (http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/02q4/021003/index.html)

Hemingray
Oct 4, 2002, 01:52 AM
Holy cow, that was long... I would have expected maybe 3 pages max, but the guy actually took his iPod apart and even took the reader through a tour there as well. A whopping 12 pages later, and I gotta say that while I was put off at first by his comments about Apple on the 1st page, most of which I didn't agree with, the rest of the article is pretty good. The Dark Side... using Apple products... tee hee!

szark
Oct 4, 2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Holy cow, that was long... I would have expected maybe 3 pages max, but the guy actually took his iPod apart and even took the reader through a tour there as well.

Tom's is well known for its comprehensive articles. IMHO, they are one of the best sources of information and reviews of new PC components, since they perform extensive testing and benchmarks, and detail everything.

I was very happy to read this review -- especially when they gave it the Editor's Choice Award! :)

Hemingray
Oct 4, 2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by szark

Tom's is well known for its comprehensive articles. IMHO, they are one of the best sources of information and reviews of new PC components, since they perform extensive testing and benchmarks, and detail everything.

Yeah, I gotta admit I was pretty impressed. Like the guy actually spent some TIME reviewing it instead of some of the other tech sites that wash over it and either give it a thumbs up or thumbs down and don't really pay that much attention to the product. The reading was a bit tedious, so I probably wouldn't read his articles for all the new products I was semi-interested in; but if there's something I would seriously be looking into, this guy's review would be the way to go.

e-coli
Oct 4, 2002, 01:29 PM
Although, sadly, I do agree with some of his initial comments about Apple as a company. I, too, feel like their marketing isn't that great, and they're short sighted. I've been waiting for them to get an enterprise strategy forever, now. I thought the Xserve was the beginning of one. But...

Glad to hear the "poor unfortunates who have chosen Windows, rather than Mac" are warming up to the iPod. :D ;)

Inhale420
Oct 5, 2002, 01:01 AM
it's kinda funny how brainwashed you people are. a pc site gives a good review of the ipod, and you're fishing for ways to bash him.

pathetic.

vniow
Oct 5, 2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Inhale420
it's kinda funny how brainwashed you people are. a pc site gives a good review of the ipod, and you're fishing for ways to bash him.

pathetic.

It's kinda funny how you're still here after posting this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11663) thread.

Pathetic.:rolleyes:

topicolo
Oct 13, 2002, 03:04 PM
Well, you gotta admit that we are sometimes a bit TOO fanatical about macs. If PCs sucked as much as we claimed they did, no one would be able to stand them. The truth is, PCs are tolerable and for most day-to-day tasks and for games, they are adequate. :rolleyes:

SilvorX
Oct 13, 2002, 03:22 PM
one of my friends wants an ipod bad, whenever he annoys me bout him wanting a pc ipod for xmas, i bother him bout me wanting a powermac :P

dricci
Oct 13, 2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by topicolo
If PCs sucked as much as we claimed they did, no one would be able to stand them.

Everybody has their own level of "Suck" Tollerance. Many Mac users do not tollerate Suck at all, hence why we don't use nor endorse Windows products unless we're being paid by the hour :D

Many PC users don't care about the quality and thought that went into their Hardware and OS, they just care about getting the best deal, even if it's crap, because that's just how they live their lives...

nixd2001
Oct 13, 2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by dricci

Everybody has their own level of "Suck" Tollerance. Many Mac users do not tollerate Suck at all, hence why we don't use nor endorse Windows products unless we're being paid by the hour :D

Many PC users don't care about the quality and thought that went into their Hardware and OS, they just care about getting the best deal, even if it's crap, because that's just how they live their lives...

It's a shame that quality is referred to so little in the (endless) PC vs Mac bashing on some of these threads. It's probably one of the single largest contributors to people choosing Apple (hey - don't start a war over that!) but it gets left out of some many debates. Instead, we get the numbers comparison game.

Nipsy
Oct 13, 2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
I've been waiting for them to get an enterprise strategy forever, now. I thought the Xserve was the beginning of one. But... :D ;)

The Xserve is the beginning of an enterprise strategy, but enterprise is very hard to break into.

The buying cycles are fixed, the vendors and reps are cut-throat, and the IT pros need to protect their careers.

The reviews have been exceptionally positive, so I expect to see Xserves bought (one by one) for testing in exisitng semi-mac environments, and from there, to begin showing up as replacements for Sun boxes. It is a helluva 1U box. Having configured both for the same purposes, the Xserve wins hands down.

Gradually, it will begin to find acceptance in the datacenter and corporation, when it grows its mindshare as a viable alternative to Win2K or Solaris, while much easier to maintin than Linux.

I have a lot of faith in this one...

davidc2182
Oct 13, 2002, 06:34 PM
this is way off topic, but in terms of cases I want a case for my new ipod that is clear, i found one a long time ago that was 2 separate pieces of vacuum molded plastic that attached to the ipod on the front and back to protect it from scratches, but was not sticky, i recently found a different one from contour design, can anyone help me fine the first one i'm talking about and which one is best? right now its still in its plastic it came in from the box