PDA

View Full Version : External Display - Clamshell Mode

minnus
Sep 22, 2011, 05:38 PM
Just a quick question - I am currently using the 2011 Air in Clamshell mode on my U2410. Whenever the Air sleeps the display, the monitor turns black with the backlighting still on. This is rather strange, since the U2410 should go into standby when it stops receiving a signal.

Is the Air still 'using' the monitor when it sleeps the display? Are there any settings that can be toggled on the Air?

jamesr19
Sep 22, 2011, 06:05 PM
Are you sure the power is plugged in? Usually that causes the laptop to go to sleep when the lid is closed but you get two displays when the lid is open as normal

minnus
Sep 22, 2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry - I wasn't very clear.

Clamshell mode works great, with the exception that after a period of time set in Energy Saver, the display sleeps - which is great, except it doesn't trigger my monitor to standby and thus using a lot more electricity than necessary.

macgeenius
Sep 23, 2011, 03:03 PM
Minnus,

What type of cable/adapter did you use for hooking up to your U2410 monitor?

I have a 2011 MBA 13inch i7. I'm currently using a Belkin Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter to connect to my U2410. The text is fuzzy, and I find it is quite annoying.

I ordered from Monoprice a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable, hoping that this will make my U2410 work better with the MBA.

minnus
Sep 23, 2011, 07:54 PM
Minnus,

What type of cable/adapter did you use for hooking up to your U2410 monitor?

I have a 2011 MBA 13inch i7. I'm currently using a Belkin Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter to connect to my U2410. The text is fuzzy, and I find it is quite annoying.

I ordered from Monoprice a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable, hoping that this will make my U2410 work better with the MBA.

I am also using a Mini Display to HDMI adapter. I found that the reason why it is fuzzy is because the sharpness is off in HDMI for some reason. If I attach an HDMI to DVI at the end of the HDMI cable, everything is clear.

I also ordered a mini display to displayport - hoping that it would solve my sleeping problem.

Using just HDMI, the monitor goes into a cycle of "power saver" and regular mode right after one another - so it just turns off and on continuously.

Are you experiencing the same power saver behavior by chance?

minnus
Sep 26, 2011, 07:39 PM
Ah, the U2410 sleeps proper when using a Mini-Displayport to Displayport adapter. It also does not require you to adjust the sharpness like you do with HDMI -- seems like Displayport is the winner!

Connected to my projector, the HDMI adapter works fine though.

EggyWeggs
Oct 21, 2011, 09:57 PM
Ah, the U2410 sleeps proper when using a Mini-Displayport to Displayport adapter. It also does not require you to adjust the sharpness like you do with HDMI -- seems like Displayport is the winner!

Connected to my projector, the HDMI adapter works fine though.

Hi, so you purchased the MDP-to-DP *adapter*? And then you used the provided Dell cable? Can you link to the product you ordered?