PDA

View Full Version : Hard cases to protect the air

Funkymonk
Sep 22, 2011, 11:27 PM
Does it really protect it in case of falls? Anyone have any experience with this? Did it protect it from anything you think would have otherwise dented the air?

Also would love some suggestions :D
looking for either clear or black. Want to keep it super thin though, don't wanna dress this super model in a fat suit :cool:

aeboi
Sep 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
I sort of slammed mine against the side of a lecture hall door frame as I quickly left one of my classes yesterday. I also tend to throw my keys on top of my laptop when I get home (it has become routine).

I had the clear on my Pro but it showed too many scratches with the way I abuse my stuff so black satin became the default.

JulesK
Sep 23, 2011, 12:02 AM
It seems to me that a case that would really protect from a drop (or being in a briefcase, backpack or bag that is dropped) requires edges of the case to be padded, not just the top and bottom. I think some try to do that, but none like some sleeves I've had in the past. For my old 17" MBP, I bought a sleeve (Brenhaven, I believe) that had a thick (1 inch) strip of high density foam at the bottom edge (the one closest to the ground if the case were put into a briefcase or worn with the shoulder strap). Maybe it wouldn't have made much of a difference, but more so than what you get in a typical MBA sleeve.

I've carried Thinkpads for years in my briefcase without any protection whatsoever. Just threw it in there with all my papers and took no special care to baby the machine. Never had a problem. They'd look a little worn after 3 years of hard use, but I'd expect that.

Funkymonk
Sep 23, 2011, 11:03 PM
Anybody know anything good? I'm hearing speck isn't reliable.