Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyfinlandia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Just got my lovely new Macbook Air 13" and it is lovely.
Only downside is that the 9 beeps of death (S.O.S. for Memory or Logic board) come on :(

I live in Finland and my friend brought it back (I paid) from the States so have to see if they can replace with a new one as I don't fancy a 'repaired' logic board.

Shame as it has the 128GB Samsung drive too.

One lovey machine but really for a new one to do this is not good. I had bought maybe 20 machines in the last 5 years all PCs and one did need a replacement. So this ups the bad ratio. :-(

Let's see what happens. Any thoughts appreciated. I understand it is a Worldwide warranty.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Everything produced has a failure rate, equally I have been using Mac`s for over 20 years and never had an issue, it`s just the luck of the draw. Apple stand by their product and will take care of the problem.

In General Mac`s are more reliable than most...

johnnyfinlandia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Yes I know .. just sad when I get one :roll eyes:
Anyway I really do like the whole experience normally keyboard, startup, using, portability etc.
Will call the local team today and see what they say.
Working on the Mac now and it seems fine under power use.
Wouldn't start at all under battery when I left it for 30 mins.
I will update when I get some news.

johnnyfinlandia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
fixed ... ?!

After contacting Apple in Finland they were very helpful and seem to have sorted it.

He asked me to do a hard power reset - keep 'shift-control-alt' and then power on - seems to do nothing (which it should) and then booted up fine both from shutdown and sleep.

The broken apple logo and loads of text were not there anymore.

Looking for the cheapest place for Applecare warranty to boost to 3 years now just in case :)
(it is early I know but phone support stops after 3 months - not wanting to use any support for a long time though).

He did say that it might be a hardware issue 'cos of the 9 beeps (which were deep and loud) so let's see how it goes.

:confused:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Everything produced has a failure rate, equally I have been using Mac`s for over 20 years and never had an issue, it`s just the luck of the draw. Apple stand by their product and will take care of the problem.

In General Mac`s are more reliable than most...

Yeah, I've brought many new and second hand Macs over the last decade or so, and I've never had one with a major problem. The biggest problem I've had with a Mac computer is an iMac was a dodgy DVD drive. Not the end of the world though, as it only cost $30 to replace :D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hopefully resetting the controller did the trick. If it is a bad logic board, it will likely fail quickly rather than after a year, but the lowest price I have seen for the AppleCare warranties is $183 from a company called Provantage in the US.

Anyway, if you have Apple Stores in Finland, you can set up a Genius Bar appointment where they can run some more in depth diagnostics. Also, if you reboot and hold down the D button, it will run some diagnostics, as well. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Apple is one of the rare companies that offers true worldwide warranties (I remember Nokia notoriously required phones to be returned to the country of purchase, for instance), so the support will be there. Good luck.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
check ebay (do they use that in finland?) for the cheapest you can get apple care! I think that may generally be the cheapest place, otherwise its the regular price as everywhere else.

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
check ebay (do they use that in finland?) for the cheapest you can get apple care! I think that may generally be the cheapest place, otherwise its the regular price as everywhere else.

I might suggest caution for purchases from unauthorized AppleCare sellers. Many have reported buying these and having them turn out to be fraudulent- with at time of purchase or later- when it really counted- especially if they don't come with the original unopened packaging.

Caveat Emptor. Good luck!

johnnyfinlandia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
... seems OK ..

Well I used it all day yesterday and drained the battery and it was a smooth as.

Put it to sleep over night and in the morning .. had some text saying this needs a reboot and a broken apple logo when I started.

Found on google and apple site the 'D' Diagnostic Test and ran that twice and it found no errors. (also just read the earlier reply - thanks).

I will definitely keep an eye on this as it may appear OK but may still have some sort of issue.

Thanks for all responses. It feels nice to be in a Forum where people care about their products.

Looking forward to a long use of this (have bought and sold loads of PCs for several years not quite getting the one I want). So ended up paying more than I wanted but hey this really is one nice PC (Personal Computer).

I am also British so use Ebay.co.uk and ebay.com quite a bit and can usually find what I want. Thanks for the replies on warranties. When the time comes I am sure I will buy off a reputable person or place but have read about the earlier dodgy warranties. Thanks for replies too.

:cool:

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Well I used it all day yesterday and drained the battery and it was a smooth as.

Put it to sleep over night and in the morning .. had some text saying this needs a reboot and a broken apple logo when I started.

:cool:

That was a kernel panic. That was happening a lot on my 2010 MacBook Air (once or twice a week), and I took it in. It wound up being a bad logic board. Once I got it repaired, the kernel panics stopped. If it happens again, my advice would be to get it fixed.

johnnyfinlandia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
That was a kernel panic. That was happening a lot on my 2010 MacBook Air (once or twice a week), and I took it in. It wound up being a bad logic board. Once I got it repaired, the kernel panics stopped. If it happens again, my advice would be to get it fixed.

OK good to know .. I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks. :(

johnnyfinlandia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
.. spoke too soon ..

Well Mac won't work properly after using it on Battery :-(
So it looks like the Mac Repair centre to check out what the issue is :-(
Will contact Adorama to see what they say but a I am in Finland now doubt they will ship it back and send a new one so it will be 'repaired'
A little cheesed off as a new PC should work like new if tested properly.
Let's see what the MRC says.
:confused:

p.s. was starting to love this little Mac as I watched two footy games online and they were as smooth as anything .. was very happy until yesterday.

Last edited:

johnnyfinlandia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
.. all working again ..

Wahey got my MBA back from the Service Centre.
They replaced the Logic Board.
One day turnaround which was fantastic !!
Thanks MCare of Helsinki.

So I will keep an eye on it but I trust that is the last of the problems.
:D
Happy now.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Wahey got my MBA back from the Service Centre.
They replaced the Logic Board.
One day turnaround which was fantastic !!
Thanks MCare of Helsinki.

So I will keep an eye on it but I trust that is the last of the problems.
:D
Happy now.

Great to hear. Replacing the logic board is like brain surgery and a heart and kidney transplant. IOW, you should be fine. I was getting kernel panics on my 2010 MacBook Air and replacing the logic board fixed it.

johnnyfinlandia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
.. seems faster ..

After using for a few hours the Mac seems faster. Skype opened in literally a second or two. logged in and ready :)

Switching between apps is also slick or slicker than before.

Happy again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.