Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tob866622

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Hi
I'm really new to this forum actually this is my first post. I have an external screen connected to my Macbook as an DVI port because my friend cracked my screen and I have a spare screen. When ever I close my lid the external screen august and has a higher resolution than when the lid is open the screen becomes less resolution (720p) is there anyway I can open the lid while the external screen resolution is higher because i need to use to keyboard and trackpad.
Thanks in advance

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
I have a similar situation in that I use the external screen only setup because of a busted backlight or inverter. Regardless, I have not found a setup that works. The 720p resolution is caused by the "mirroring" setting on the MacBook. It seems that the "external display only" setting is not available when the lid is open (at least I have not found a way to make it an option).

Sorry I cannot help, but at wanted to let you know I've looked for a similar solution but have not found one. If it's a deal breaker, an external keyboard and mouse can be hooked up for not much cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.