Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBronco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I don't always shut down my Mac after I'm done with it, but I usually do at least once a day, usually at night. However, throughout the day, as it stays on, when I play videos on any website, be it YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix, or Hulu, the video playback is choppy and lags no matter the quality settings or which internet connection I have. When I reset the Mac, it plays smooth again.

This has never happened on any of the Macbooks I've ever purchased. I want to stream content without worrying to restart everytime I want to watch a Jake and Amir video.

Has anyone any solutions? I bought it brand new.

11-inch : 128GB
1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
processor
4GB memory
128GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
I don't always shut down my Mac after I'm done with it, but I usually do at least once a day, usually at night. However, throughout the day, as it stays on, when I play videos on any website, be it YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix, or Hulu, the video playback is choppy and lags no matter the quality settings or which internet connection I have. When I reset the Mac, it plays smooth again.

This has never happened on any of the Macbooks I've ever purchased. I want to stream content without worrying to restart everytime I want to watch a Jake and Amir video.

Has anyone any solutions? I bought it brand new.

11-inch : 128GB
1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
processor
4GB memory
128GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Does it do it with an actual video file on your MBA or only with flash content streaming?

iBronco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I only have a MBA and it occurs with streaming content. I played a Quicktime vido file and it was fine. This choppiness occurs with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

Astrofox

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Sounds like a software issue, have you tried a different browser?

When it happens again, go to Utilities>Activity Monitor and look at the %CPU column. If one process is maxed out it will narrow down the cause. Also check the System Memory button down the bottom to see if a process is slowly using your available ram over the course of the day. Could be be a buggy flash installation.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
I would un-install flash and re-install, I have the same model as you and watched a 720P video on youtube yesterday for over 50mins without any issues. (I never switch my macs off, including the MBA)

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Just like everyone else said, it's definitely a software issue. Uninstall flash and then reinstall it. I would also suggest reinstalling a browser of your choosing.

iBronco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I've got a screen shot here of my Activity Monitor.

I'll try and re-install flash, I guess, and/or the browser.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-23 at 11.24.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-23 at 11.24.28 AM.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 593

acesfull11

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
I am having the same issue. I have tried in Chrome, which has flash built in as well as Safari and FF which use the most recent flash plugin. Video is choppy after wake from sleep and only a restart fixes the problem...

iBronco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I've found how to fix the problem:

Upon restart, press Command+R and reinstall the OS. Everything works fine, now.

:apple:

ohsoez

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
Choppy Video on Macbook

I'm adding this because I keep forgetting. The basic problem is your wireless router. I had a linksys router (black with the blue bar) and there is some issue with the apple computers and the newness of new routers. Once I bought a new wireless router everything is just fine. (This is thanks to the Apple guy at Best Buy). It has something to do with the speed or compression or mhz or something and it's the router's fault not the computer. If your router is more than a year old, get a new one. Don't download anything and dont sign up for any of the apple cleaning things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.