PDA

View Full Version : Question about 2011 vs 2010

gman901
Sep 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
I recently sold my 2010 11" Air thinking I would get a portable and small Windows laptop that can game with medium settings. Upon using the laptop, I have already run into hardware issues forcing me to return it. I really loved my 11" Air and really did not have any issues with it's performance for productivity, handbrake and light to medium gaming (please understand that I picked the Air for overall portability and the ability to game anywhere on a rock solid operating system and machine). Having said that, I know the Air is not suited for heavy gaming, but I am finding a lot of Windows notebooks are lower quality. I think I want to stick with the Air. I have $1400 to spend and want to know should I go with the 13" 2010 Ultimate configuration due to better graphics in Windows or would the 11.6" 2011 Air be about the same graphically when in Windows (I know that on the Mac side, most games are better than the 2010 model). Does getting the bummed up processor in the 11" make much of a difference?

KPOM
Sep 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
The i7 processor will make a bigger difference for CPU-driven tasks on the 11" (2.6GHz with 2 cores on the i7 vs 2.1GHz in the i5). The GPU is very similar between the two (only 50MHz difference in top boost speed from 1.15GHz to 1.2GHz).

jacktorrance
Sep 23, 2011, 11:42 AM
...but I am finding a lot of Windows notebooks are lower quality.

You don't say.

Does getting the bummed up processor in the 11" make much of a difference?

I think the term is 'bumped' - bummed has quite different connotations.

Oppressed
Sep 23, 2011, 11:55 AM
You are correct in your thought process and under Windows environment the better driver support for the 320m will make the 2010 MBA perform better for gaming then the 2011 version. Under Mac environment they are closer with the 320m still edging out slightly in the majority of games that depend on the GPU more then the CPU.

gman901
Sep 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
You don't say.

I think the term is 'bumped' - bummed has quite different connotations.

Yep! My iPad sometimes amazes me with the predictive text. :)

----------

You are correct in your thought process and under Windows environment the better driver support for the 320m will make the 2010 MBA perform better for gaming then the 2011 version. Under Mac environment they are closer with the 320m still edging out slightly in the majority of games that depend on the GPU more then the CPU.

So for my pattern of usage, the ultimate 2010 would probably be a better fit. I certainly do not want to get another 2010 11" after just selling my old one. So I see Apple has the returns going for $1399. Do you think that's a safe bet instead of buying off of eBay? The refurbs should be cosmetically in great shape, right?

Oppressed
Sep 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
Referbs are great! eBay is terrible.