PDA

View Full Version : Power Issues

easymackn
Sep 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
Good afternoon all. We had just received the other day another shipment of MBAs to our company for our physcians to use. The very first of the ten (10) that we received will not power on. I tried resetting the PRAM and OSM, basically every troubleshooting steps I could find and still cant get anywhere with it.

Symptoms are:
1) Wont power on.
2) Charging seems to be defective - Plug the Magsafe into the port and it should normally flash green then amber when the battery starts to charge. When I plug it in it does one of two things. If, say, I have the same charger charging another laptop (which the charger actually works and tests fine) the light flashes green then amber as normal and it charges. If I remove the charger and attach it to my problem MBA, the charger DOES NOT flash green then amber, it goes straight to amber. If I plug the same charger into a working MBA and while the light is still green and before it changes to amber, unplug it and attach it to the problem MBA, the light stays green and wont turn amber to signal charging. So it seems that whatever the state that the Magsafe was in when it was unplugged from the previous "working" MBA it will display that same state when attached to the "problem" MBA. Weird, I know. Even when the light is amber, it does not seem to charge my "problem" MBA. Does this warrant a return trip back to Apple for replacement or is there anything I can do/try to get this thing working?

Again, I tested and ensured that all Magsafe power adapters I am using are working properly. Model is late 2011 13" MBA

Any advice will help. Thanks -Tyler

bp1000
Sep 23, 2011, 11:29 AM
That's nuts

You have more chance of winning the lottery than receiving 10 defective units.

It must be something to do with the shipment. Water, condensation, electromagnetic who knows. Just send it back.

GGJstudios
Sep 23, 2011, 11:31 AM
NVRAM/PRAM has nothing to do with power/charging/battery issues. Read the CHARGING section of the following link. If none of that helps, take it to Apple. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

easymackn
Sep 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
That's nuts

You have more chance of winning the lottery than receiving 10 defective units.

It must be something to do with the shipment. Water, condensation, electromagnetic who knows. Just send it back.

I unboxed and fired up one of the other MBAs and it worked fine. I would highly doubt that the rest are bad. None of the boxes were damaged and none had any signs of water damage or condensation build-up. The actual product box was still sealed in its clear plastic wrap. Im stumped. Looks like I may end up having to send it back for a replacement.

----------

NVRAM/PRAM has nothing to do with power/charging/battery issues. Read the CHARGING section of the following link. If none of that helps, take it to Apple. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

I was hoping that it would be a solveable issue but thank you for the input. I just pulled out a brand new charger and plugged it into the MBA and I get NO action on the LED. Just stays off.

GGJstudios
Sep 23, 2011, 12:24 PM
I was hoping that it would be a solveable issue but thank you for the input. I just pulled out a brand new charger and plugged it into the MBA and I get NO action on the LED. Just stays off.
Did you reset the SMC, as suggested in the FAQ?

easymackn
Sep 23, 2011, 12:36 PM
Did you reset the SMC, as suggested in the FAQ?
Yes, I tried that while I had support on the phone. Stamping it DOA and sending it back. I must say Apple support is really user friendly as compared to HP or Dell.