PDA

View Full Version : Japanese App Tweets Embarrassing Things If You Oversleep

MacRumors
Sep 23, 2011, 03:59 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/23/japanese-app-tweets-embarrassing-things-if-you-oversleep/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/okite-150x151.jpg

OKITE is a Japanese alarm clock app. It's designed to help users wake up, but with a twist: it sends embarrassing messages to the user's Twitter account every time they hit snooze.

Tofugu, a blog covering Japanese culture, points out that this type of public shaming is uniquely punishing (http://www.tofugu.com/2011/09/02/japanese-iphone-app-punishes-oversleepers-with-embarassing-tweets/) in Japan:
The interesting cultural thing about this app is the whole public shaming thing. In America when you do something shameful it's all about the person doing the shameful thing. "What's wrong with you?" "Why would you do that?" etc. In Japan, it's kind of the opposite. When someone does something shameful, it's always "What will the neighbors think?" and "What will your classmates think?" Public shame is the most terrifying motivator of all in Japan, and this app plays right in to that.The app sends out a wide variety of Tweets (https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23OKITE), some silly and some downright odd.

"From today on I'm going to head to work via unicycle."

"I want to buy a fast red Ferrari and a horse!"

"Just as I thought, I want to become a stewardess."

OKITE is available free (http://appshopper.com/utilities/okite) on the App Store, but only in Japanese. It isn't localized into English. [iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/app/okite/id457818344?mt=8)]

Article Link: Japanese App Tweets Embarrassing Things If You Oversleep (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/23/japanese-app-tweets-embarrassing-things-if-you-oversleep/)

DeaconGTG
Sep 23, 2011, 04:02 PM

Seeing that I am likely to tweet this anyway, I find this app utterly useless. :p

bb426
Sep 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I could see this work better if you could make your own embarrassing tweets. These arent even that funny or embarrassing.

FrizzleFryBen
Sep 23, 2011, 04:17 PM
This would just cause people to stop following you...if you were actually interesting enough to follow in the first place.

davidwarren
Sep 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
Omg how embarrassing

rdowns
Sep 23, 2011, 04:28 PM
There will be 87 English language ripoffs in the App Store by Tuesday.

ChristianJapan
Sep 23, 2011, 04:45 PM
Ok, that must be one of the cultural differences I didn't yet got usd to ... These comittment for self-embarrassment is also present in several daily TV shows ...

A much cuter example of apps working mostly in local culture context is "SmartTub". That simulate a Japanese bathtube with the cover you put on top because of water is shared with other family members. But only on iPad2 with smart over

Mr. Chewbacca
Sep 23, 2011, 04:46 PM
I know I read somewhere that an alarm app had a thing where it sent a small donation on your behalf every time you hit snooze.

Would be awesome if you could pick your charity but the app sent all the money to one I did not know anyting about.

acslater017
Sep 23, 2011, 04:53 PM
Great. We all know what Japanese people do when they're shamed...:(

(JUST KIDDING)

trunten
Sep 23, 2011, 04:55 PM
Just as I thought, I want to buy this app.

Bonch
Sep 23, 2011, 04:56 PM
Sad that so many people care that much about what other people think.

DESNOS
Sep 23, 2011, 05:06 PM

That kind of statement would be unheard of in Japanese culture, because not caring about what other people think is pretty unheard of. ;) The entire language is structured around being polite, as is Japanese culture in general. You can't really get by in Japanese society without caring about other people to some degree. I think it's a good thing.

guzhogi
Sep 23, 2011, 05:07 PM

In a way, it's sad how people in the USA don't give a **** what others think.

I've heard that some Japanese CEOs who drive their companies into bankruptcy commit suicide due to the shame. Anyone know if that's true? I know this sounds horrible, but in some ways, that sounds a bit better than those American CEOs who get the golden parachutes worth millions of dollars. I'm sure there are some that worked their a**es off to prevent their companies from being even worse, but, IMO, they weren't good enough to deserve millions.

LaazyEye
Sep 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I've heard that some Japanese CEOs who drive their companies into bankruptcy commit suicide due to the shame. Anyone know if that's true? I know this sounds horrible, but in some ways, that sounds a bit better than those American CEOs who get the golden parachutes worth millions of dollars. I'm sure there are some that worked their a**es off to prevent their companies from being even worse, but, IMO, they weren't good enough to deserve millions.

I know at least they do it figuratively. I'm sure many people will not fully understand the point/impact this app is attempting to give. Especially since the force of some sayings are lost in translation. English has common saying that have cultural heritage attatched to them and because of that, they too make no sense when translated.

DESNOS
Sep 23, 2011, 05:19 PM

Not every Japanese CEO will (obviously), but suicide is considered a way to save face in such a shameful situation, so it happens.

Anonymous Freak
Sep 23, 2011, 05:36 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/23/japanese-app-tweets-embarrassing-things-if-you-oversleep/)

The app sends out a wide variety of Tweets (https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23OKITE), some silly and some downright odd.

I don't see that as embarrassing, silly, or odd...

Then again, I live in Portland (http://www.twitvid.com/08VB2).

japhillips87
Sep 23, 2011, 05:39 PM
I actually do ride a unicycle to work!

accessoriesguy
Sep 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
I wish i could be as creative as the japanese, I really wish to visit japan some time. Scratch that, I need to visit the world.

Steve Mobs
Sep 23, 2011, 06:15 PM
I love it.

Mochi Hana
Sep 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
The app sends out a wide variety of Tweets (https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23OKITE), some silly and some downright odd.

I think going to work via unicycle would be kind of cool. o.o;

shartypants
Sep 23, 2011, 07:05 PM
Very clever, I like it!

Ihatefall
Sep 23, 2011, 10:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Embarrassed for you

( T_T)\(^-^ )

YeahBuddy
Sep 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
*Snooze* "I spent .99 cents on an app that posts strange phrases on my twitter account."

What will my neighbors think? :(

fdv
Sep 23, 2011, 11:46 PM
I know I read somewhere that an alarm app had a thing where it sent a small donation on your behalf every time you hit snooze.

Would be awesome if you could pick your charity but the app sent all the money to one I did not know anyting about.
This sounds like a much better idea.

lostngone
Sep 24, 2011, 01:03 AM
Every time you push the snooze button it sends a message to the boss telling him/her that you are going to be X minutes late.

magamo
Sep 24, 2011, 01:35 AM
If it tweets a randomly chosen web address I visited last night, I'll never hit a snooze button.

hrishidev
Sep 24, 2011, 06:28 AM
If it tweets a randomly chosen web address I visited last night, I'll never hit a snooze button.

did nt wake up on time because browsing www.somethingembrassing.com :eek:

itickings
Sep 24, 2011, 07:02 AM

I'd buy that for a dollar! :p

LeiQQ
Sep 24, 2011, 09:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not every Japanese CEO will (obviously), but suicide is considered a way to save face in such a shameful situation, so it happens.

Gosh. Have you ever been to Japan? It's not face saving to commit suicide. It's escape. Those who kill themselves are selfish in the fact their family will be left to handle everything.

ChristianJapan
Sep 24, 2011, 09:32 AM
Gosh. Have you ever been to Japan? It's not face saving to commit suicide. It's escape. Those who kill themselves are selfish in the fact their family will be left to handle everything.

Agree with you on the escape and selfishness. But this by far not specific to Japan; that will be the same everywhere.

The last part though is really hard in Japan: in case one jump in front of a train the family has to pay quite some money for each minute of outage. That become really expensive.

Sedrick
Sep 24, 2011, 10:08 AM

I've heard that some Japanese CEOs who drive their companies into bankruptcy commit suicide due to the shame. Anyone know if that's true?
Here, the CEOs just drive themselves to the bank. C**ksuckers.

Hastings101
Sep 24, 2011, 03:15 PM

"Just as I thought, I want to become a stewardess."

Oh how embarrassing, I could just never live with myself if people knew I wanted to use a unicycle or own a Ferrari.

I hope the App tweets things a little worse than that lol

DragonJade
Sep 24, 2011, 04:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I doesn't sound like you ever have. Or if you have, you don't/haven't comprehended Japanese culture fully. Sure, sometimes it's escape, but it goes a lot further than that.

on many occasions a suicide is seen as a morally responsible action

The samurai way of glory was through death, and ritual suicide was seen as something honorable.

The cultural heritage of suicide as a noble tradition still has some resonance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Japan

theBB
Sep 24, 2011, 04:35 PM

That is a really cool idea.

FourCandles
Sep 24, 2011, 05:46 PM

...that charity wasn't c/o the developer, by any chance? :p

Gasu E.
Sep 24, 2011, 06:29 PM

Why? Did you hit the snooze button too many times?

Repo
Sep 24, 2011, 09:59 PM
Who uses the snooze button? Just turn the alarm off.

Doctor Q
Sep 25, 2011, 12:21 PM
The same idea might be handy when it's time to wake up the kids to get ready for school.

"Get up now or I'll show your baby photos to your friends."

itickings
Sep 25, 2011, 01:43 PM
Who uses the snooze button? Just turn the alarm off.

I strongly recommend you to continue keeping away from the snooze button. It is very addictive once you get started...

Truffy
Sep 25, 2011, 02:47 PM
As if Twitter weren't full of useless rubbish already. :rolleyes:

Tha Professor
Sep 26, 2011, 08:32 AM
I loves snooze button. I will set my alarm an hour earlier just to get 5 extra 10-minute power naps...

ChristianJapan
Sep 26, 2011, 09:15 AM
I loves snooze button. I will set my alarm an hour earlier just to get 5 extra 10-minute power naps...

Me kind of too. 20 to 30 minutes earlier; 3 more snoozes. Gives a smooth booting time of metabolism and hence a nice start into a new day full of work.

Consultant
Sep 26, 2011, 10:41 AM

Woke up late this morning?

Maybe you got an app that posts to MR? ;)

Tomacorno
Sep 26, 2011, 10:41 AM
Will it tweet, "These? These are ribbons of shame!"

Doctor Q
Sep 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
Woke up late this morning?

Maybe you got an app that posts to MR? ;)
What would you have it post that would incentivize you to get up in time to stop it?

Or can't you tell us, by definition?

winston1236
Sep 26, 2011, 07:34 PM
Since humor varies vastly between countries will it be region specific?