PDA

View Full Version : iBook g4?

Liquinn
Sep 23, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hi people, is a iBook g4 worth buying now? For say 60 pounds off eBay?

Thanks

mabaker
Sep 23, 2011, 05:55 PM
If it has 1GHz+ CPU then yes.

Liquinn
Sep 23, 2011, 05:56 PM
If it has 1GHz+ CPU then yes.
It has a 1Ghz processor, shall I buy it? And it comes with a case which is nice.

Comes with no discs which is a shame.. why is he selling it so cheap though?

ThunderSnake
Sep 23, 2011, 06:05 PM
It has a 1Ghz processor, shall I buy it? And it comes with a case which is nice.

Yes, you should buy it (assuming the seller has a good reputation and isn't charging 100 pounds for shipping).

Liquinn
Sep 23, 2011, 06:06 PM
Yes, you should buy it (assuming the seller has a good reputation and isn't charging 100 pounds for shipping).
Do you want to know the whole spec of the machine?

Positive feedback: 100%|Feedback score: 116

ThunderSnake
Sep 23, 2011, 06:38 PM
Do you want to know the whole spec of the machine?

Positive feedback: 100%|Feedback score: 116

Yes, tell us what you're getting!

Seriously, though, before being so flippant in my response, are you aware of the limitations of PowerPC? Many of us love this architecture, but it's no longer supported. 60 pounds (or about 90 dollars) would be considered a good deal in the United States, but I honestly don't know what the market is like for used Macs in the UK.

old-wiz
Sep 23, 2011, 07:29 PM
My wife still uses an iBook G4 from 2005, with 1.something ghz processor and 1.25 meg memory. It works fine for surfing and e-mail and even youtube. She only uses it in the living room while watching tv or something. Still a decent computer as long as you don't expect it to play demanding games or anything.

mrsir2009
Sep 24, 2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah it'd be good for web browsing, word processing, emails and older games.

ghett0tech
Sep 24, 2011, 02:01 AM
as stated above it would be good for simple tasks. can't get much out of it.. but it would be a cool portable system to take around with you

MacHamster68
Sep 24, 2011, 04:30 AM

he is not selling to cheap, he's selling for a realistic price , some others who sell Mac's are living in a fictive world where money never was a object , so do the buyers very often too ;)

so get the iBook , if its still in working condition, it might have some scratches ,the battery might only hold 5 minutes charge , but for that price and age you dont expect a as new condition or?;)

and for the speed 1 ghz ..its enough for the basic's by todays standards , in its days it was realy powerful compared to pc laptops of the time , and people did far more then just the basics on them

remember to max out the ram

mabaker
Sep 24, 2011, 05:11 AM
What MacHamster said! :) Check the condition, ask about it, battery, video card functional, screen etc.

I think 60 pounds is a fair price. Certainly for a laptop computer with Mac OS on it!

old-wiz
Sep 24, 2011, 10:46 AM
The iBook is a great travel machine; it does enough and if it gets lost or damaged it's not a big loss.

skyton
Sep 25, 2011, 04:39 PM
They are great little machines, as long as you don;t expect to be streaming HD video etc