PDA

View Full Version : Macbook air Heat

wrinkster22
Sep 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
Hello evryone, I wanted your opinion on something, My macbook air i purchased on the 19th gets very hot often. I called apple and they said it was some sort of heat issue. Would you return it?

miles01110
Sep 24, 2011, 11:28 AM
If it bothered me, yes.

wrinkster22
Sep 24, 2011, 11:30 AM
well it is rather uncomftorable to use on my lap. The enclosure gets well over 34 degrees.

freeman727
Sep 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
Mine only heats up when I play a lot of flash content.

adnoh
Sep 24, 2011, 01:36 PM
Take it back to an apple store

wrinkster22
Sep 24, 2011, 01:38 PM
yeah thanks. I have an appointment for this aft. This is my first mac too.

3bs
Sep 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
well it is rather uncomftorable to use on my lap. The enclosure gets well over 34 degrees.

My MBA probably never runs at 34 degrees celcius. You're very lucky if it's running that cold

Jmouse
Sep 24, 2011, 06:10 PM
So not all heats up? I though they all do....

hansk
Sep 24, 2011, 06:37 PM
I have a new MBA 13' and it became hot pretty quickly while playing flash movies.
Installing the latest beta or RC of Adobe's Flash Player 11 helped me a lot:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11.html

Brandon0448
Sep 24, 2011, 06:54 PM

If you think 34 degrees is uncomfortable you are going to be unsatisfied with any laptop you use. The MBA is by far one of the coolest running machines on your lap I've used. Most laptops have some kind of vents on the bottom and are easily blocked and can cause the laptop to heat up very fast.

mrsir2009
Sep 24, 2011, 09:39 PM

You'd die if you used my MacBook Pro. It gets up to 100 degrees C doing some things.

wrinkster22
Sep 26, 2011, 03:21 PM
i got a new one from them and this one runs cooler. perhaps physiological than?

Rob.G
Sep 26, 2011, 03:28 PM
Mine runs pretty warm sometimes. Install iStat Pro and watch the temps. I've seen my CPU get up to 160 (F) and the fan is at 6500 RPM. But most of the time it stays pretty cool. Like somebody else said, the MBP runs a lot hotter. I just got one of the 2011 MBPs and it runs cooler than my old 2009 model, but it still gets pretty toasty.

Rob

wrinkster22
Sep 26, 2011, 03:32 PM
interesting. They will save on heating bills on the winter :p;)

Cynicalone
Sep 26, 2011, 04:14 PM
My 13" i7 gets up into the 80's with anything CPU intensive.

I don't find it that uncomfortable to hold, but I don't usually wear shorts.

jsolares
Sep 26, 2011, 04:28 PM
You'd die if you used my MacBook Pro. It gets up to 100 degrees C doing some things.

He's talking about the enclosure, the unibody not the CPU itself, you'd die if your enclosure actually got to 100C

mrsir2009
Sep 26, 2011, 10:06 PM
He's talking about the enclosure, the unibody not the CPU itself, you'd die if your enclosure actually got to 100C

How did he find out the temperature of his computer's case? :confused:

Brandon0448
Sep 27, 2011, 12:49 AM
How did he find out the temperature of his computer's case? :confused:

iStat shows enclosure temperature if you computer has the sensor for it.

Dunbar
Sep 27, 2011, 12:51 AM
My MBA gets warm enough that I use something to insulate it from my legs. But I think my last laptop made my legs sensitive to heat since it got so freaking hot.

thunng8
Sep 27, 2011, 01:25 AM
If you think 34 degrees is uncomfortable you are going to be unsatisfied with any laptop you use. The MBA is by far one of the coolest running machines on your lap I've used. Most laptops have some kind of vents on the bottom and are easily blocked and can cause the laptop to heat up very fast.

That's why we need an option for an ARM based Macbook Air :) Maybe with the upcoming Apple A6 CPU.

Imagine having a laptop with no fans and never gets hot or even warm. Battery life would be amazing as well. Would be a big downgrade in performance though - but for many people it would be fast enough for browsing/facebook/email/word processing. Software compatibility would be an issue as well.

Either that or get Intel to get their act together with Ivy Bridge or Haswell and drastically reduce the heat/power usage (need to be reduced by a factor of 10 or more since the A5 SOC uses than than 1W, while the Sandy Bridge i5/i7 ULV chips use 17W) of their CPUs to the extent that it would no longer require cooling fans. Highly unlikely though.

wrinkster22
Sep 27, 2011, 03:41 PM
yep put it would be more tablet than computer.

nipponfan
Sep 30, 2011, 11:39 AM
How is the temperature on your new model?

Just made a snapshot of what mine looks like after light surfing, iTunes and some Flash:

Rob.G
Sep 30, 2011, 12:26 PM
Here's my Air after 3.5 hours of surfing, email, some programming, etc. Temps are F.

This is the Core i7/4gb/256gb model.

Rob

wrinkster22
Sep 30, 2011, 12:29 PM
Here's my Air after 3.5 hours of surfing, email, some programming, etc. Temps are F.

This is the Core i7/4gb/256gb model.

Rob

damn thats hot!

----------

How is the temperature on your new model?

Just made a snapshot of what mine looks like after light surfing, iTunes and some Flash:

Closer to yours :)

nipponfan
Sep 30, 2011, 12:32 PM
Closer to yours :)

Meaning? warmer/cooler? I booked a call from Apple tomorrow, let's see what they say.

wrinkster22
Sep 30, 2011, 12:35 PM
Meaning? warmer/cooler? I booked a call from Apple tomorrow, let's see what they say.
it is cooler than yours. Say thay it gets uncomftorable, they will tahn ask you dumb questions like does it like fires and than they will give you a little blurb about how thats normal than you give them a rant about how many apple products you own and that the air is crap yak yak. Than you book an appointment and BAM!

Make sure you talk to a senior advisor. I also think because I was within the 14 day return window they gave me a new one to shut me up :p

nipponfan
Sep 30, 2011, 12:42 PM
it is cooler than yours. Say thay it gets uncomftorable, they will tahn ask you dumb questions like does it like fires and than they will give you a little blurb about how thats normal than you give them a rant about how many apple products you own and that the air is crap yak yak. Than you book an appointment and BAM!

Make sure you talk to a senior advisor. I also think because I was within the 14 day return window they gave me a new one to shut me up :p

Me too, I got mine just on Tuesday. I'm not sure yet about what I'm going to do, since the rest works fine and I can't wait another week for a replacement since I need it for school. Thanks for the advice though

wrinkster22
Sep 30, 2011, 12:56 PM
Me too, I got mine just on Tuesday. I'm not sure yet about what I'm going to do, since the rest works fine and I can't wait another week for a replacement since I need it for school. Thanks for the advice though

LOL np. You could call them after school? of if you have an apple store near you.. if you really cant wait, do you have a desktop or an old computer?
Lol I thought no one would read that..

nipponfan
Sep 30, 2011, 01:00 PM
LOL np. You could call them after school? of if you have an apple store near you.. if you really cant wait, do you have a desktop or an old computer?
Lol I thought no one would read that..

We don't have any apple stores here in Austria, I ordered it online. Would go there directly if I could. I do have an old Dell Laptop, but it sucks and I don't want to use it :p Besides, I have configured this machine to my needs, all that work would go to waste haha

wrinkster22
Sep 30, 2011, 01:03 PM
On the last day of your warranty call up apple and complain :p

Rob.G
Sep 30, 2011, 02:06 PM
damn thats hot!

Yeah I guess it's pretty toasty. I always have it on a table; I RARELY have it on my lap. I picked it up to feel under it, and it's warm but not bad. The hottest point on the unit is the area between the keyboard and the display hinge, just like on my MBP, and you can damn near fry an egg on it. It's the area above F1-F5... the other side stays relatively cool. I think this is where the video card is, but I'm not sure.

As long as the fan isn't screaming, I'm happy. It's when the fan gets up into the 6500 rpm range that I start looking for ways to cool it off.

The upside of these aluminum enclosures is that aluminum is a great heat sink. If these things were plastic, I think they would either run a lot hotter, or need more fans or better cooling.

My 2010 MBA 11" rarely got warm. The only time I ever even heard the fan was when I was installing/compiling MacPorts. But it seems like the fan runs most of the time on this one.

Rob

Brandon0448
Sep 30, 2011, 02:31 PM
My 2010 MBA 11" rarely got warm. The only time I ever even heard the fan was when I was installing/compiling MacPorts. But it seems like the fan runs most of the time on this one.

This is because the CPU and GPU are both integrated into the processor where on the 2010 model there are two separate chips. Therefor the 2010 model distributed heat much more efficiently. This can be a pro or a con depending on your uses.

calvol
Sep 30, 2011, 05:16 PM

Sandy Bridge is a just a hot running chip, because when performance is needed, TurboBoost kicks in and exceeds the TDP of the platform for brief periods. Since TB instantaneouly ramps up to 3x its idle frequency (800MHz to 2.9GHz for the i7), the heat build up is rather steep and the CPU temp will often exceed 2x its idle temp (from 40+C to 80+C).

bwhinnen
Sep 30, 2011, 05:26 PM
My 11" i5 is sitting at 50 - 53ēC on the CPU constantly and the bottom enclosure is between 36 - 37ēC. When the mds process was having some fun cpu went to 70 - 80ēC and the bottom enclosure just reached 40ēC.

I could live with 34 - 35ēC on the bottom enclosure as this is below the average body temp, but 37 is above it and you feel the warmth. It's only a week and a half old so I'm going to keep an eye on it :)

onthecouchagain
Sep 30, 2011, 06:54 PM
The Air seems to heat up, and this is inevitable.

What I personally did was I installed a fan control app. And I juice it up a little bit if I know i'm doing some heavier stuff (playing music, videos, etc). Depending on how high you go, it doesn't effect the fan noise, so your Air is still silent, and it helps it cool down significantly.

Rob.G
Sep 30, 2011, 09:02 PM
Here's a snapshot from my 17" i7 MBP for comparison. It's really not that different really... except the hottest part up between the kb and screen is a lot warmer than on my Air. The rest of the machine is fairly cool.

Rob

nipponfan
Oct 1, 2011, 07:31 AM
I just noticed there is a significant difference when running on AC or using it on a desk!

On AC when on Lap - Enclosure up to 37°
On Battery when on Lap - Enclosure up to 35°

On AC Desk - Enclosure up to 34°
On Battery Desk - Enclosure only up to 32°

This is all with light tasks - Safari/Chrome 2 Tabs, WIFI, some Flash, iTunes.

For me that sucks, since I will use it on my lap 80% of the time. But I don't think a replacement would run any cooler, or would it?

nipponfan
Oct 1, 2011, 08:08 AM
EDIT: I was wrong, temp. goes up to 36° after 1h usage, even on battery and desk.

YOKOJP
Oct 1, 2011, 09:25 AM
Here's a snapshot from my 17" i7 MBP for comparison. It's really not that different really... except the hottest part up between the kb and screen is a lot warmer than on my Air. The rest of the machine is fairly cool.

Rob

Hey Rob,

I'm interested in getting the I7 MBA 11" - how's the fan noise? I heard the I7 11" gets hotter than the I5.

Is the fan always running even just surfing the net and email?
Does the fan get really loud watching flash videos?

Sorry for so many questions.

thanks in advance.