Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cpt.Caveman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Hey people,

I have a late 2008 Macbook 13" White:

Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
320GB HDD
Snow Leopard (10.6.8 currently)

I'm not satisfied with the way my Mac is running though. I've had the common slow Safari issue, and I've downgraded to 5.0.5 which fixed it to some extent. What I'm not happy about is the fact that it just feels so much slower than it did after I made a clean install about half a year ago.

I'm not the type to install all sorts of crap on my laptop, but I am a bit unsure of what common software I should use to keep performance up (from archiving software to web browsing clients).

So, please feel free to make of list of all the software you think would best it my machine. And most importantly, what I should stay away from.

Thanks in advance

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You really don't need any "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Also, look at System Preferences > Accounts > youraccount > Login Items to see what you have launching automatically. Look at Safari extensions that may be causing problems or placing high demands on system resources.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You really don't need any "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well

This is generally good advice, though OnyX is a big exception to this. I recommend OnyX, and running everything that is checked under the Automate tab will clear out caches and such things, which may help the computer run a bit faster.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I agree that you should stay away from computer cleaning software. It may not be the most convenient thing to do, but wiping the whole hard disk clean and re-installing is a great way to make your Mac faster and resolve most problems.

z7tjxd45

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
boukq.png

late '08 aluminum body.

No third party apps. You can fit another 4GB as a solution.

Cpt.Caveman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Thank you for all your replies, they're very helpful.

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac.

I do have CleanMyMac installed, and it seemed a bit dodgy to me, too. I will do a drive wipe and a clean install soon. With regards to the RAM, I can't go over 4GB as far as I know. From what I've read, it may be possible to take it to 6, but I don't want to install asymmetrical RAM modules, especially when I'm not even sure it would work.

What about Sophos Antivirus ? Is it worth installing ?

Also, I do feel the need to play the odd game every now and then (like DotA / LoL) and I was thinking of installing Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit through Boot Camp. Also, I am considering VMWare Fusion to be able to use that Boot Camp partition without logging off. Any better ideas for this purpose ?

Maybe XP would be a better idea ? :apple:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
With regards to the RAM, I can't go over 4GB as far as I know. From what I've read, it may be possible to take it to 6, but I don't want to install asymmetrical RAM modules, especially when I'm not even sure it would work.
I have a late 2008 Macbook 13" White:
Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz
The Late 2008 White MacBook only came with a 2.1GHz processor. The Early 2008 White MacBook came with either a 2.1GHz or a 2.4GHz processor. Both models can use up to 6GB of RAM. It won't make much difference if you use unmatched RAM. It will work just fine.
What about Sophos Antivirus ? Is it worth installing ?
Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
If you have to run antivirus (such as a requirement to join a network), ClamXav is a good choice.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
From what I've read, it may be possible to take it to 6, but I don't want to install asymmetrical RAM modules, especially when I'm not even sure it would work.

Unmatched pair is not a problem. I have the MacBook one gen before yours and currently have 6 GB in it. I'm not saying you need to put more RAM in it, but it would work just fine.

If you want to experience any benefit at all in Windows, however, you'll have to be running a 64-bit version of Windows. The 32-bit version won't see much over 3 GB.

Cpt.Caveman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Unmatched pair is not a problem. I have the MacBook one gen before yours and currently have 6 GB in it. I'm not saying you need to put more RAM in it, but it would work just fine.

If you want to experience any benefit at all in Windows, however, you'll have to be running a 64-bit version of Windows. The 32-bit version won't see much over 3 GB.

I've done a lot of reading on the 64-bit subject, because I am aware of the memory issue. However, I didn't come across anything that would actually recommend 64-bit, because it seems to be much less stable than the x86.

Does anyone have 64-bit Windows installed on a MacBook similar to mine ?

And sorry about wrongly stating the model, it is early 2008.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I've done a lot of reading on the 64-bit subject, because I am aware of the memory issue. However, I didn't come across anything that would actually recommend 64-bit, because it seems to be much less stable than the x86.

I have not heard of any stability issues with 64-bit Win7, other than with drivers which, for the most part, won't be an issue because Apple provides the proper drivers.

Also, technically x86 is a reference to the processor, both version of Win7 run on x86 processors. For example, a Pentium III is a 32-bit x86 processor while a Core i5 is a 64-bit x86 processor. I do get your meaning, however.

The general advice is you should run 64-bit unless you have specific needs (drivers or programs) that require 32-bit.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Pop in your install disk and boot up from the install disk.

Select "Disk Utility" in the install disk menu.

Select the hard drive partition that includes the OS X install.

Under the "First Aid" tab, select "Verify Disk."

If issues exist, then run "Repair Disk."

This may allow you to avoid having to do a clean install.

In terms of benefits per upgrade, I have found upgrading to a SSD makes the biggest difference in relation to more noticeable performance increases.

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
Keeping your mac on all night so it can perform maintenance tasks it schedules for 3:00 AM can sometimes make a difference.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Keeping your mac on all night so it can perform maintenance tasks it schedules for 3:00 AM can sometimes make a difference.
You don't have to leave it on all night to do that. If your Mac is in sleep mode or shut down at the scheduled time, the maintenance scripts will run the next time you turn it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.