PDA

View Full Version : Brand new 11" - getting 3 hours of battery wtf?

Sean Dempsey
Sep 24, 2011, 01:15 PM
I just bought a 11" i7 quad with the 256 SSD, the highest end 11".

I can get maybe 3 hours of battery out of this, just doing nothing but browsing the web.

I do have the screen on two levels down from full brightness, and do have the keyboard lit. But I can't believe that 3-3.5 hours is even acceptable.

I got on the computer at maybe 10am with a full charge from then night before. It's now 12:15 and I am at 22% battery. And that's not even with constant use, I've put it down for maybe 15-20 minutes.

Maybe I should open it up and time it from 100% to 0% with no usage at all, just sitting there open.

At what point to I take it in to the Apple store and explain it? How many hours of battery is just unacceptable.

eric/
Sep 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
Wifi + your display brightness eat battery alive.

adnoh
Sep 24, 2011, 01:36 PM
Try the test with brightness @ 4 boxes and no keyboard backlight.

KPOM
Sep 24, 2011, 01:38 PM
If you just bought it yesterday, it is also probably still indexing your SSD. That eats up processor (and battery) power. Also, I think the battery measurements are made at 50% brightness, so if you have it at 80% that would drain it quicker. If you are on Wi-Fi, chances are you will get about 4 hours of battery once the indexing is done. Remember, it's only a 35Wh battery. Regular notebooks usually have about 60Wh.

BTW, it's a dual-core i7. The hyperthreading makes it look like it has 4 cores.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 24, 2011, 01:41 PM
I just left it open, no activity, while I was in the shower and it went from 14% to 9%.

5% loss for 15 minutes of sitting idle?

Also, it's not indexing. that was done in like the first hour of opening it. I have menumeters running and the CPU barley moves at all.

Adidas Addict
Sep 24, 2011, 01:43 PM

They released a quad?

Mrguidogenio
Sep 24, 2011, 01:44 PM
I just left it open, no activity, while I was in the shower and it went from 14% to 9%.

Also, it's not indexing. that was done in like the first hour of opening it. I have menumeters running and the CPU barley moves at all.

Was it sleeping? If not, was the Wifi turned on?

Sean Dempsey
Sep 24, 2011, 01:46 PM
4 minutes since the last post. Dropped 2%.

Something is wrong.

----------

They released a quad?

yeah I was mistaken it's a dual core, hyperthreaded.

KPOM
Sep 24, 2011, 01:47 PM
Have you tried exiting Safari? Safari is a known memory hog, and a wayward Flash operation has also been known to drain the battery.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 24, 2011, 01:49 PM
Was it sleeping? If not, was the Wifi turned on?

No, it was left open.

So with WiFi on and the screen above 50%, I should expect a 2.5 hour battery life? And this is their highly mobile computer?

How can I test this so I can report it to the apple store for an exchange or return. This is ridiculous, my MBP 17" lasts longer. If I had known I'd be stuck to the wall charge, I could have just stuck with the 17".

----------

Have you tried exiting Safari? Safari is a known memory hog, and a wayward Flash operation has also been known to drain the battery.

I don't use safari. And I have Flashblock running in Firefox.

rhinosrcool
Sep 24, 2011, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately, as much as I liked the 11" air, the main reason I kept my 13" was battery life. Yes, you can do a combination of things to keep it going a while longer. However, even with light use, it is not going to last that long. Heck, even the 13" doesn't last that long; though, at least, it does last 4-5 hours.

Since the airs are so thin, especially the 11", I don't see how Apple can make that great of strides in battery life. In the future, maybe someone can make a flat plate, like the bottom of the air, that could be plugged into the air?
Maybe, even a case with a battery or power source built-in. Yes, it would take something away from the slick design, but it could be great to charge it while either traveling or when you need the extra juice.

appleguy123
Sep 24, 2011, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately, as much as I liked the 11" air, the main reason I kept my 13" was battery life. Yes, you can do a combination of things to keep it going a while longer. However, even with light use, it is not going to last that long. Heck, even the 13" doesn't last that long; though, at least, it does last 4-5 hours.

Since the airs are so thin, especially the 11", I don't see how Apple can make that great of strides in battery life. In the future, maybe someone can make a flat plate, like the bottom of the air, that could be plugged into the air?
Maybe, even a case with a battery or power source built-in. Yes, it would take something away from the slick design, but it could be great to charge it while either traveling or when you need the extra juice.

Apple doesn't license the MagSafe and sues when people try to make products for it. This could never legally happen.
I normally get 6+ hours of school work doing(Pages+Safari) on my 13" MacBook Air.

Adidas Addict
Sep 24, 2011, 02:04 PM
I got my 11" MBA a couple of weeks ago, using it for surfing wireless with the display a couple of notches above 50% I get between 4-4.5hrs which is about what I was expecting. Though mine is the i5/128GB/4GB model. Flash video, however kills the battery, though it has on all my previous Apple laptops.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
Well I'm going to turn off the sleep/screensaver and just leave it open and idle and time it, maybe with a webpage open in firefox set to refresh every 5 minutes.

I had hoped this would be the ultimate mobile device, but it wouldn't even last a decent car ride or flight. What is the point of having a 2 hour battery life if you have to do anything that requires a little CPU?

God forbid I see what happens if I am using Photoshop while running on battery. 1 hour maybe?

Paulywauly
Sep 24, 2011, 02:15 PM
Dude if you are concerned take it into an Apple Store, they can test battery etc. It's not unheard of to have a bad battery

nOw2
Sep 24, 2011, 02:27 PM
4 minutes since the last post. Dropped 2%.

Something is wrong.It's not that accurate, stop looking at the percentage and stop worrying.

Turn down the brightness and use it for a bit, and see how it goes after a few days. Don't obsess over the battery percentage or you've never be happy with it. Just make sure you measure a charge's life time properly - i.e. from full charge to off.

NikFinn
Sep 24, 2011, 02:27 PM
I personally aren't surprised with the numbers you're getting, and am surprised to see you're complaining about them. But.

If you do think something is wrong with your battery, download Coconut Battery (http://www.coconut-flavour.com/) and check the health and such and report back.

alecgold
Sep 24, 2011, 02:36 PM

I can get maybe 3 hours of battery out of this, just doing nothing but browsing the web.

I do have the screen on two levels down from full brightness, and do have the keyboard lit. But I can't believe that 3-3.5 hours is even acceptable.

I got on the computer at maybe 10am with a full charge from then night before. It's now 12:15 and I am at 22% battery. And that's not even with constant use, I've put it down for maybe 15-20 minutes.

Maybe I should open it up and time it from 100% to 0% with no usage at all, just sitting there open.

At what point to I take it in to the Apple store and explain it? How many hours of battery is just unacceptable.

I had the 13" MBA 2010 and I could get over 9 hours on that.
I would write in word, every now and then google a bit and have the brightness on 2 or 3 notches. No music, no other programs open, no istat menu or program from my scanner, just as basic as possible.
Now I have the 11" MBA i7/4/256, just like you. At this moment I have bluetooth off, killed every app, just one safari window open, no widgets, no other stuff, three notches of light. That would get me an estimated 5,5 hours. (5,99 hours at 82% battery left). That is not that much, considering I have the brightness so low and nothing else going on, but it is way better than you are able to get.

It's hard to say if it is a faulty unit. What you could try to do is shut as many programs down as you can and just let it stand for a while, playing some music. It might just be a rouge program that is just trashing memory, doing very short but high intense CPU tasks or what not. If it keeps on running down, I would try to find an apple store and have a genius take a look at it.

There is one thing you might need to check, if you look at istat menu, the CPU indicator doesn't seem all that accurate to me.

rhinosrcool
Sep 24, 2011, 02:49 PM
Apple doesn't license the MagSafe and sues when people try to make products for it. This could never legally happen.
I normally get 6+ hours of school work doing(Pages+Safari) on my 13" MacBook Air.

The battery thing was just a wish.:) When I say that I get 4-5 hrs with my 13", that's using it my way. For sure, if I played with the settings, I could get 6 hrs. And, to be clear, I'm not complaining. Getting 4-5 hrs on a great mobile like my 13" air is pretty good. It's just that with such a reduction in both size and thickness, compromises have to be made.

ntrigue
Sep 24, 2011, 02:54 PM
You certainly have a problem. Get to a Genius Bar and get a working model.

That said, brightness radically affects these models. Everything is low power about the device except the screen.

KPOM
Sep 24, 2011, 02:56 PM
Well I'm going to turn off the sleep/screensaver and just leave it open and idle and time it, maybe with a webpage open in firefox set to refresh every 5 minutes.

I had hoped this would be the ultimate mobile device, but it wouldn't even last a decent car ride or flight. What is the point of having a 2 hour battery life if you have to do anything that requires a little CPU?

God forbid I see what happens if I am using Photoshop while running on battery. 1 hour maybe?

That doesn't sound normal. I had my 11" i7/256 model on a flight earlier this month. It was a Wi-Fi flight, and I had Windows 7 running in Parallels. In 45 minutes, it dropped from 90% to 60%, suggesting it would have lasted about 2.5 hours even in that extreme scenario. With Windows 7 off, I was getting about a 4 hour average.

3dflyboy1
Sep 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
As far as brightness, maybe try to get used to a lower setting. Pull it down a notch each day and soon you'll be used to a very low setting and longer battery life.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 24, 2011, 06:09 PM
I personally aren't surprised with the numbers you're getting, and am surprised to see you're complaining about them. But.

If you do think something is wrong with your battery, download Coconut Battery (http://www.coconut-flavour.com/) and check the health and such and report back.

There's the Coconut screen, and then also the menumeters bar. I can see the network, ram, disk, and cpu usage all the time in the menubar. Nothing is pegging the CPU, it pretty much looks like it does in the screenshot, the 4 meters just bottomed out.

I am using the brightness at 50%. I am not sure which part of the coconut meter is the health. it's only had 4 cycles.

I'm going to have it looked at tomorrow probably.

jsolares
Sep 24, 2011, 06:17 PM
There's the Coconut screen, and then also the menumeters bar. I can see the network, ram, disk, and cpu usage all the time in the menubar. Nothing is pegging the CPU, it pretty much looks like it does in the screenshot, the 4 meters just bottomed out.

I am using the brightness at 50%. I am not sure which part of the coconut meter is the health. it's only had 4 cycles.

I'm going to have it looked at tomorrow probably.

the health would be the current capacity vs design capacity, which shows to be 101%, but if it keeps draining that fast there's something wrong someplace else

hfg
Sep 24, 2011, 06:18 PM
You need to cycle your battery a few times to reach full potential.

You should also follow the instructions to calibrate your battery monitor.

If after all that you discover your actual run time is abnormally low, take it in to the Apple store for analysis. It is possible to simply get a bad battery.

rhinosrcool
Sep 24, 2011, 06:45 PM
You need to cycle your battery a few times to reach full potential.

I agree. I think it's too early to determine if it's a bad battery. For at least a few more days, use it.

You should also follow the instructions to calibrate your battery monitor.

Do this. It probably will result in showing your battery's capacity at less than 100%. However, it will be more accurate.

If after all that you discover your actual run time is abnormally low, take it in to the Apple store for analysis. It is possible to simply get a bad battery.

This.

jamesr19
Sep 24, 2011, 07:01 PM
shut down your laptop and deselect the resume button. For some reason resuming does result in lower battery when you come to run the laptop :s

Power it back up and hopefully the battery life should be stronger too...

macbookpro45
Sep 24, 2011, 07:55 PM
When I first received my MBP I was getting about 4 hours of charge; after cycling the MBP over the course of a month (full drain + full charge) I was getting 5.5hours of use with almost full brightness, web browsing, office, normal everyday use. Two years later I still get 5-5.5 hours of use. What I'm trying to say is relax and do some cycles as other people have said

orfeas0
Sep 24, 2011, 08:23 PM

5% for 15 minutes means 5 hours for 100%. That's for idle.
As others have mentioned, it could be the indexing, it could be the brightness, it also could be the flash (if you're browsing flash sites or videos).

cc2096
Sep 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
As everyone else said do the battery calibration and run a few cycles through your battery. You will see if increase guaranteed. Did that to my wife's MBA 2011 11" and she is showing around 5.5 hours normal use now. Just remember like the great Douglas Adam says: Don't Panic!:D

One other thing to consider, depending on your browser of choice, would be some form of script and/or flash blocking extension. In Firefox I use NoScript & FlashBlock to prevent sites from loading memory hogging add-ons and flash components. This will dramatically increase your battery life as well.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
The timer is running. Started it at 10:04am MST. Put a postit over the battery on the menu bar.

This will be the 6th complete battery drain. I have it reloading apple.com every 2 minutes. There is no flash loading, but any javascript on the page I am going to let run, since that's pretty ubiquitous with web browsing.

The CPU is bottomed out barely hitting 2-3%, nothing is running, other than the webpage loading every 2 minutes there's no network activity and no bluetooth.

Screen is at 50% brightness, keyboard backlight is off. Seems like a pretty fair test based on the test apple has advertised on their macbook air page.

NikFinn
Sep 25, 2011, 12:09 PM
The timer is running. Started it at 10:04am MST. Put a postit over the battery on the menu bar.

This will be the 6th complete battery drain. I have it reloading apple.com every 2 minutes. There is no flash loading, but any javascript on the page I am going to let run, since that's pretty ubiquitous with web browsing.

The CPU is bottomed out barely hitting 2-3%, nothing is running, other than the webpage loading every 2 minutes there's no network activity and no bluetooth.

Screen is at 50% brightness, keyboard backlight is off. Seems like a pretty fair test based on the test apple has advertised on their macbook air page.
Honestly, this is ridiculous. You're never going to be happy unless you get a full 5 hours, which is probably not going to happen. Just bring it back and save yourself the trouble.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 25, 2011, 12:36 PM
Honestly, this is ridiculous. You're never going to be happy unless you get a full 5 hours, which is probably not going to happen. Just bring it back and save yourself the trouble.

How do you figure 2.5-3 hours of use is not ridiculous?

Are you telling me that if you bought a Macbook Air 11" "ultimate" for $2000 (including applecare), you wouldn't expect maybe a little more battery life?

I'm not asking for 5 hours. I am asking for at least more than 2.5-3 hours.

Maybe using it for a week will make the battery more efficient, which shouldn't even be needed with a Lithium Ion battery.

Please don't **** up this thread unless you have insights into batteries and macbook airs.

KPOM
Sep 25, 2011, 12:54 PM
How do you figure 2.5-3 hours of use is not ridiculous?

Are you telling me that if you bought a Macbook Air 11" "ultimate" for $2000 (including applecare), you wouldn't expect maybe a little more battery life?

I'm not asking for 5 hours. I am asking for at least more than 2.5-3 hours.

You should get about 3.5-4 hours of battery life assuming nothing is soaking up battery in the background. Unfortunately, the Sandy Bridge processor does draw on average more power than the Core 2 Duo. The next generation with Ivy Bridge should see a nice bump in battery life, and it will get better still with the Haswell chips in 2013/2014.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 25, 2011, 04:41 PM
Alright, sitting there doing nothing but refreshing Apple.com every 2 minutes, the computer lasted 5 hours, 30 minutes before hibernation. At least I know if I need the computer on but doing nothing, it lives up to the advertised battery life.

I need to come up with some sort of way now to simulate real world usage and do it again. Any ideas how to script something that would be more like someone visiting various sites, typing a bit, opening and closing programs.. anything like that?

KPOM
Sep 25, 2011, 04:48 PM
Alright, sitting there doing nothing but refreshing Apple.com every 2 minutes, the computer lasted 5 hours, 30 minutes before hibernation. At least I know if I need the computer on but doing nothing, it lives up to the advertised battery life.

I need to come up with some sort of way now to simulate real world usage and do it again. Any ideas how to script something that would be more like someone visiting various sites, typing a bit, opening and closing programs.. anything like that?

Your results aren't far off from AnandTech's
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4554/apples-11inch-macbook-air-core-i7-18ghz-review-update/5

Somehow he manages to get 6 hours 20 minutes in his "light usage" test, but that's updating pages every 20 seconds. With three open Safari windows, each browsing a set of web pages with between 1—4 flash ads per page, at the same time, and playing an XviD video in a window all while downloading files from a server at 500KB/s, he gets 2 hours and 57 minutes on the 11" i7.

LordJim
Sep 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
This makes me glad I went with the 13-inch. My battery is at 65% right now with 4 hours to go. Brightness is set at over half and I'm running Word, Chrome, Twitter, Mail, and playing music through iTunes.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 25, 2011, 06:36 PM
I've got a 13" and 17" MBP between my wife and I, I am more interested in the length/width of the 11" than the weight/height. A 13" Air just doesn't interest me.

The 11" is great, I guess I was expecting it to be more like my ipad, a device that's ready to go all day.

So it's this, or the huge, heavy 17". Maybe I just need to excange the 11" incase bag for a little bigger one, so that the power cord extension will fit in it (since I'm going to need it).

orfeas0
Sep 25, 2011, 06:49 PM
I've got a 13" and 17" MBP between my wife and I, I am more interested in the length/width of the 11" than the weight/height. A 13" Air just doesn't interest me.

The 11" is great, I guess I was expecting it to be more like my ipad, a device that's ready to go all day.

So it's this, or the huge, heavy 17". Maybe I just need to excange the 11" incase bag for a little bigger one, so that the power cord extension will fit in it (since I'm going to need it).

Well, since the 13" has more battery life it's more a "ready to go" device ;)
That's a little off topic though.
On topic, about the real world usage test, just use it how you would in a normal day, simple. Just remember, the advertised battery is almost never reached in normal usage. Especially with brightness.
Just use it normally and see how much it lasts, but with brightness to 3-4 boxes.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 25, 2011, 07:06 PM
I think a real world test could be constructed with this: http://seleniumhq.org/projects/ide/

And then various people could use the same test on various models.

Gregintosh
Sep 25, 2011, 10:17 PM
Thats a part of the reason I opted for the 13" as well after trying the 11" (2010 model).

My 11" was also getting around 3 hours on a full charge doing nothing more than browsing, Skype chat (not even video/audio, just text), mail, etc.

The big thing here is the screen brightness. Put it at 40% brightness and you will probably get around 4-4.5 hours.

I guess the annoying thing about today's computers is that as soon as you do ANYTHING on them the battery life gets cut in half or more (that includes putting up the brightness).

I am sorry to tell you that what you are experiencing in perfectly normal and Apple probably won't exchange it (unless they do it just to be nice). And it really is normal.

If battery life is very important you should return it and get the 13". The battery life is much better (around 5-6 hours of normal use like word processing, surfing the net, e-mail, etc. nothing intense).

plumosa
Sep 25, 2011, 10:55 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6174/6183614793_febae9c739.jpg
Screen Shot 2011-09-26 at 1.46.16 PM (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67942149@N03/6183614793/)

What is up with my battery listing? Its saying my mba 7 months old when they only came out in July. Also, compared to the OP's post, my wattage is much much much higher.

I've been having unsatisfactory battery usage as well, but I'm on an 11" i5. I'm getting maybe 3 hours max with the display on the lowest and backlit/bluetooth off.

any ideas?

KPOM
Sep 25, 2011, 11:03 PM
What is up with my battery listing? Its saying my mba 7 months old when they only came out in July. Also, compared to the OP's post, my wattage is much much much higher.

Coconut Battery hasn't been updated in a while, and its formula for estimating the age of the notebook isn't accurate anymore.

plumosa
Sep 25, 2011, 11:09 PM
Coconut Battery hasn't been updated in a while, and its formula for estimating the age of the notebook isn't accurate anymore.

Ok, I can probably accept that, but why is the op's wattage 9.2 while mine is 434.4?

KPOM
Sep 25, 2011, 11:11 PM
Ok, I can probably accept that, but why is the op's wattage 9.2 while mine is 434.4?

I have no idea. I was getting results closer to the OPs. Did you have anything intensive running in the background (like Handbrake)?

plumosa
Sep 25, 2011, 11:17 PM
I have no idea. I was getting results closer to the OPs. Did you have anything intensive running in the background (like Handbrake)?

nothing besides safari with a billion tabs. :/

hfg
Sep 25, 2011, 11:18 PM

I guess that explains your poor battery life if you are consuming 434.4 watts! ;)

I suspect it gets a little warm too? :rolleyes: ;) :eek: You could heat the room with that!

Obviously, the Coconut isn't working properly in your computer with those readings. You might want to re-download the program again and run the new copy and compare results. Otherwise ... as someone said earlier, that program hasn't been updated recently and is probably not reading the battery data correctly.

I ran CoconutBattery 2.7 on my 2011 11" i7 Air and it was running about 10-15 watts while doing a TM backup over the WiFi. All other readings were similar, and mine showed a erroneous 7 month age as well.

-howard

jackyyeow
Sep 26, 2011, 12:17 AM
A real world result for 2011 13" i7 ultimate from my friend, battery dropping average about 12%~15% per hour, and that average out to about slightly over 7 hours of usage. 5 bars brightness, WiFi on, BT off, clicktoflash+clicktoplugin (safari extension), no keyboard backlight, 3~4 tabs opened in safari, surf normally like macrumors front page news or similar, as well as various forums.

With WiFi off, it'll last about 8~9 hours doing offline light tasks with WiFi off, like iTunes mp3 and document typings.

I've also included an interesting test, similar to the browsing test above, this time with BT/WiFi off but sticking in a 3G USB modem. It's running consistently about 9.5%~10% per 30mins, and after 3 hours there still about 41%~42% of battery left.

I've not tested 11" in anyway, but I expect it to perform similarly with the above test (re-calculate according to the 11" battery capacity, obviously).

Note that, me and my friend have come to a conclusion that putting the battery indicator to % only will make life much easier than looking at the forever fluctuating time left meter. Just like how we use the iPad/iPhone, or even your car fuel tank meter.

mrsir2009
Sep 26, 2011, 02:02 AM
Is spotlight indexing?

Sean Dempsey
Sep 26, 2011, 11:28 AM
I do understand that the 13" MBA gets alot better battery life, but I wanted the x-y size.

If I wanted a 13", I'd do a regular MBP with a SSD and then another SSD in the dvd bay.

I am fine with the 11" Ultimate as long as it is functioning as normal. The battery is short, the screen view angles are terrible... but' it's so small!

Just need a buyer for the 17" now.

KPOM
Sep 26, 2011, 11:33 AM
I do understand that the 13" MBA gets alot better battery life, but I wanted the x-y size.

If I wanted a 13", I'd do a regular MBP with a SSD and then another SSD in the dvd bay.

I am fine with the 11" Ultimate as long as it is functioning as normal. The battery is short, the screen view angles are terrible... but' it's so small!

If you do craft a battery life test using that utility you linked to, I'd be happy to run it. I have the 11" i7/256 model as well.

Gregintosh
Sep 26, 2011, 01:33 PM

Despite the foot print, there is still a SIGNIFICANT weight difference between the MBP and MBA, which makes the MBA more ideal for frequent travel.

unagimiyagi
Sep 26, 2011, 01:53 PM

I believe that your usage patterns make 3 to 3.5 hours seem about right. The new airs don't get as good battery life as the last generation.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 26, 2011, 02:15 PM
Weird. Now my battery won't charge over 96%.... 7 cycles, 100% health. What is up with that?

KPOM
Sep 26, 2011, 02:23 PM
Weird. Now my battery won't charge over 96%.... 7 cycles, 100% health. What is up with that?

If the battery is between 95-99%, when you plug it in, it automatically stops charging. Let it drop to 94% and it will charge again. It's a deliberate setting by Apple to avoid overcharging.

mathi-vadhanan
Sep 26, 2011, 02:55 PM
The new airs don't get as good battery life as the last generation.
That was expected with the 2X performance jump. OP, your real world battery life of 3hrs seems normal.