Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Here's a weird problem. Not sure when it started because I almost never use the key, but the LaunchPad key (the F4 key) no longer works to bring up LaunchPad. The Mission Control key and all the other top row keys function properly.

The key isn't assigned to anything else. And it's not bringing up the Dashboard, either, like the Leopard/Snow Leopard style keyboards would for the F4 key.

Now, if I use the Keyboard settings to assign LaunchPad to fn-F4 (i.e., not the specialized key but an actual function key - even though they're the same physical key) then LaunchPad will work, so I know the key itself is still working.

I tried reseting the Keyboard control panel to default settings on every page. Still no go. The 4-finger pinch gesture on the trackpad still works to bring up the LaunchPad.

Anyone see this? It's quite odd. My wife is out of town with her MacBook Air so I can't check to see if hers is working correctly and I don't have any other Lion-style keyboards in the house.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Mine doesn't work either, I thought it was because I had started using it in clamshell, set it to F4 for the other keyboard, but I dunno :S

Demon453

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
i JUST bought a wireless keyboard for my new mac mini, and am getting the same problem, anybody got suggestions?

tombilske

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Australia
Use as function keys?

It's not that you have the setting to use the function keys as actual function keys turned on is it?

I think that's a setting in sys prefs, keyboard

Do the other hot keys work? For instance the volume keys?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.