Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Texas
I'm an iOS dev and have iOS 5 on my iPhone and iPad. I'd like to download 10.7.2 so that I can take advantage of iCloud on my Mac. Is there a UDID type registration process for Lion betas too, or can I just find the installer and install it?

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
You can't. You need to register as an OS X developer to get those. iOS ≠ OS X.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Texas
Sorry but I thought it would be very helpful.

It tells you exactly what you wanted to know.

" iOS and Mac Developer Program members can set up iCloud for iOS, OS X Lion and Windows, and prepare their apps for the iCloud service."

I'm not a registered Mac developer though. I have no reason to pay the $99 per year because I don't develop Mac apps. I just want to be able to use iCloud on my Mac. In the iOS developer program, in order to install iOS 5 on a device, you must first register the UDID of that device because iTunes does a check when installing iOS. I didn't know if the same check happened when installing OS X betas.

And I apologize for being snarky. I thought that you linked me to the developer site to be a smart ass. :rolleyes:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ya that's one of the major flaws in this iCloud thing. I blame Apple for it personally.

If theyre gonna do something like iCloud they should make the OSX beta available to both devs regardless of which program they belong to.

But. Since you do iPhone stuff it might be worth the $99 to join the OSX program.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Texas
Ya that's one of the major flaws in this iCloud thing. I blame Apple for it personally.

If theyre gonna do something like iCloud they should make the OSX beta available to both devs regardless of which program they belong to.

But. Since you do iPhone stuff it might be worth the $99 to join the OSX program.

Well when I quit making crappy apps that don't ever make me any money, I'll think about it. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.