PDA

View Full Version : Fan controller fully compatible with 2011 MBA and Lion?

Sean Dempsey
Sep 24, 2011, 11:56 PM
Any software that can do this? SMC fan control just crashes out. I'd like to at least be able to turn up the fan while I'm connected to AC.

Any recs?

richlee111
Sep 25, 2011, 01:36 AM
Any software that can do this? SMC fan control just crashes out. I'd like to at least be able to turn up the fan while I'm connected to AC.

Any recs?

I am running SMC right now w/ no problems on a 2011 MBA w/ Lion. You might have an old version of SMC. Ver 2.3 is the latest that is Lion compatible.

Check it out on their site (http://www.eidac.de/?p=207). It mentions a bug fix for crashes.

cc2096
Sep 25, 2011, 10:11 AM
If you don't mind spending a little money I recommend iStat Menus 3 by Bjango. $16 but it gives you a lot more than you fan control. Check it out.

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

Queen6
Sep 25, 2011, 10:31 AM
run SMC fan control on my Mac`s for years with no problems, now on my 2011 13 inch 15 Air, as stated previously try the latest version it should be fine

Sean Dempsey
Sep 25, 2011, 11:35 AM
run SMC fan control on my Mac`s for years with no problems, now on my 2011 13 inch 15 Air, as stated previously try the latest version it should be fine

I am on the latest version, 2.3, downloaded straight from the site.

It just disappears. I'll just notice there's no temperature in the menu bar, and sure enough it just quit.

I'll try that iStat menu, though I am partial to ragingmenace's MenuMeters.

KPOM
Sep 25, 2011, 11:47 AM
Did you migrate from another Mac? I wonder if you have some old software running in the background that is causing some issues (both with the battery and with SMC not working right)?

daonesteven
Sep 25, 2011, 11:54 AM
can i get some insight on why you guys use smc on the air? do you guys want it to run cooler or something?

Sean Dempsey
Sep 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
I did not migrate.

The MBA gets blisteringly hot. A little fan control might help.

daonesteven
Sep 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
dang really i guess ya'll must do some heavy duty tasks.

mines usually around room T or maybe warm if I'm watching flash videos.

Queen6
Sep 26, 2011, 10:36 AM
can i get some insight on why you guys use smc on the air? do you guys want it to run cooler or something?

SMC fan control just allows you to pre-empt any heavy work that will push temperatures up, I find in general it` easier to prevent a system heating up than cool an already hot machine. Also for me where I am presently assigned ambient temperatures are fairly high so a few more RPM can help. I tend to add 1k RPM when charging the battery, 500 RPM when on mains supply default when on battery.

With SMC fan control you can set up profiles for the above, as it`s just a program once removed it has no effect on the system or more importantly the SMC. I really started using SMC fan control to help cool my MacBook Pro`s as the temps would sour, even now this machine is running at 79C under moderate load. I find the new 2011 Air to be far cooler in general and I rarely look to SMC outside of information temp, RPM`s etc, however if I am going to run a monitor it may as well have some capability to help cool things down. May other monitors will reveal a myriad of information yet they are incapable of any positive impact so as informative as they are they are only consuming CPU cycles.

CPU is in general the component with the highest temperature so SMC fan control has that covered which is good enough for me. I set up favorites with 500 RPM steps from min to max, baring the profiles I generally let Apple get on with cooling the system.

Sean Dempsey
Oct 1, 2011, 05:08 PM
I bought the iStat Menus, but it's not controlling the fans despite new settings.

Thread is here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13441141#post13441141

Sean Dempsey
Oct 1, 2011, 11:00 PM
bump