Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
I just bought an iPad 2 and could use some help with case options given my specific uses when outside my house.

I am a train commuter and will need a case/sleeve with some degree of protection because I will be putting the iPad in a bag or backpack every day and it may get jostled around some. I also expect to be using the iPad for storing and playing sheet music, so I will be putting it on a music stand or getting something like an iKlip (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/iklip/features/) to attach it to a mic stand.

Any ideas of how best to deal with these situations would be appreciated.

Would I be best off with something like a smart cover and some back protection case and then putting the whole thing in a sleeve while commuting?... then I could remove the smart cover when playing music (not sure if any kind of back case would be compatible with an "iKlip" like device).

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
A couple of points.

() For your commute, I'd recommend a bag with a dedicated "pocket" for the iPad. This will prevent the effects of "jostling around" you cite. There are many available. I use a small Timbuk2 "Freestyle" messenger bag. It has a felt lined pocket that holds the iPad quite well and leaves room for other stuff.

() As far as protection for the iPad is concerned (in light of your requirement to mount the iPad on a music stand-like device), I think you're on the right track. There are numerous thin cases that protect both the screen and the back of the iPad but you may run into issues if the screen protector cannot be removed (as the SmartCover can) and must be folded over the back (thus increasing the thickness of the iPad and its case.)

So if you want a screen protector "flap" that can be easily removed from iPad, the Apple SmartCover is probably your best bet. Then select a thin back cover that is designed to work with the SmartCover but NOT to prevent its easy removal. Lots of options for that, as well. But DON'T select a back cover (e.g. ZUM or MacAlly) that locks the SmartCover in place. Such back covers are great for preventing the SmartCover from detaching if you pick the iPad up with the SmartCover but they defeat the purpose of easily detaching it.

Of course, the other option is to select a case for the iPad (like a folio) that fully protects it while it's encased. But if you go that route you'll want a case that can be easily removed altogether. And that raises two problems. First, if the iPad is easily removed (for use with your music stand), it may not hold the iPad very securely. Second, it means your iPad will have to go "naked" when it sits in the music stand.

Finally, as far as fitting the iPad with a back cover into the iKlip, I'd suggest contacting the iKlip folks. You can get a very thin polycarbonate back cover but even that may be too thick for your purposes. One clue might be whether the iKlip will work with both generation iPads. If it does, it probably means the clips that hold the iPad in place are either adjustable or the space is wide enough to accommodate a back cover.

And if you find that any back cover will be problematic, you might want to put a vinyl "skin" on the back of the iPad. It won't provide much protection but it will at least give you some and will prevent scratches on your iPad.

Last edited:

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Hey, thanks very much for your time and thoughts. You seem to have reached similar conclusions to my own and it helps to reinforce my thought process. Also, I'll take a look at that Timbuk2 bag. Looks nice from the info!

epicmar

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Northern Florida
The Maroo cases provide a lot of protection. It is very easy to remove the iPad but no chance of it falling out. It is a little on the thick side but fits nicely in the sleeve of the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger XS.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
The Maroo cases provide a lot of protection. It is very easy to remove the iPad but no chance of it falling out. It is a little on the thick side but fits nicely in the sleeve of the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger XS.

+1 I've had the Maroo Kumara II for a couple months now and really like it.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Two suggestions:

Logitech Zagg keyboard case/cover - only weighs 11.25 ounces, adds almost no thickness, made of aluminum, formed like a tray with a keyboard on the inside. iPad2 fits snuggly face down into the tray on rubber bumpers to protect the screen from the keys. Keyboard adds enormous functionality to iPad2 and works well in a lap (as during a comute) either as just a holder or as a keyboard.

Otherwise, a Belkin back piece (can't remember its official name) provides thin protection of back and cornets. Works well when coupled with the Apple smart cover - good choice for lightweight protection. However, the smart cover is fairly easy to dislodge, so take that into consideration.

PTLinsongz

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
I lead music and choose to use bodyguardz on front and back and place it in a very thin portfolio case. I use a full music stand and a couple of rubberbands to hold the portfolio on the stand to avoid any accident. This allows me to put other things on the stand if I need to. The only added thing you mention is the commute. I think the timbuk2 is great and it gets a lot of raves on the forums. The IKLIP looks cool. If you choose that for sure, and the company does not recommend a back cover, the bodyguardz (or equivalent) would provide some protection against scratches from the IKLIP.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Two suggestions:

Otherwise, a Belkin back piece (can't remember its official name) provides thin protection of back and cornets. Works well when coupled with the Apple smart cover - good choice for lightweight protection. However, the smart cover is fairly easy to dislodge, so take that into consideration.

The Belkin Snap Shield is on sale until 9/30 at 50% of with promo code FB50. Brings the price down to $15

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=546003

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.