PDA

View Full Version : putting outlook on my mba using a disc

bandofbrothers
Sep 25, 2011, 10:45 AM
Hi

Time has come to put a programme on my new mba.

I want to put outlook on it for my ip4.

I have an external cd reader and a disk with outlook on.

When i hook up the drive and insert the disc what will i have to do ?

Im used to widows just installing.

Help

deeddawg
Sep 25, 2011, 10:53 AM
With the disc attached and inserted, Finder should show the drive on the left side of the display. Click on it and you should see the installer.

bandofbrothers
Sep 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
when i do this i see no installer just lots of the files on the disc. the disc whirls away and then stops.

what does the installer look like

deeddawg
Sep 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
when i do this i see no installer just lots of the files on the disc. the disc whirls away and then stops.

what does the installer look like

Typically you should see something named "Install" or some other fairly self-explanatory name. Did your Outlook disk not come with any instructions on how to install it? Is there nothing on the disk named "READ ME" or similar?

I installed Outlook as part of Mac Office 2011 as a download application, so I don't have any specific suggestions other than look around for instructions or something obvious. It'd be very strange to have an install disc with no instructions.

You could also see if Microsoft will help; after all, Outlook is their application.

KPOM
Sep 25, 2011, 11:37 AM
Usually to install a program you just drag it from the dialog box that shows up into the Application folder. If you see something "mount" onto the desktop, open it up, and often that will cause a dialog box to come up.

Installing programs is generally easier on OS X than Windows (uninstalling, too - just drag the icon from the Application folder and put it in the trash).

Update: I just dragged out my Office 2011 DVD. When you put it in, it should open up an Office Installer automatically. Just double-click on it and follow the steps.

deeddawg
Sep 25, 2011, 12:07 PM
Just a thought... the disc with Outlook on it is for Macintosh not Windows, right?

bandofbrothers
Sep 25, 2011, 12:08 PM
Just a thought... the disc with Outlook on it is for Macintosh not Windows, right?

Theres my problem.

Just seen it won't run in dos mode which is for windows...right.
Oh well.

deeddawg
Sep 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
So back to the beginning; you wrote "I want to put outlook on it for my ip4."

What do you mean by that? In other words, what exactly is your goal?

bandofbrothers
Sep 25, 2011, 12:41 PM
So back to the beginning; you wrote "I want to put outlook on it for my ip4."

What do you mean by that? In other words, what exactly is your goal?

When I hook up my iPhone 4 to iTunes i would like to also sync the contacts and calendar entries onto my mba.

I used to use outlook on a windows netbook, which is why i was trying to install from my old disc !

deeddawg
Sep 25, 2011, 12:46 PM
When I hook up my iPhone 4 to iTunes i would like to also sync the contacts and calendar entries onto my mba.

I used to use outlook on a windows netbook, which is why i was trying to install from my old disc !

You're either going to need to buy Outlook for Mac, or (better idea) migrate to the iCal and AddressBook applications that are included on your Mac. I recommend the latter. In fact, your iPhone may have already synced the data over to those apps.